This thread is being watched by 3 people
 Phil_M is off-line
18 May 2012 12:06
Phil_M
Photographer
Phil_M
Greater Manchester
Stockport

So Ive shot in plenty of studios, homes, various locations etc but never in a hotel room.

I'm a liitle unsure about how to go about hiring hotel rooms during the day, by the hour. It obviously sounds sleazy so wondered if there is a right way to go about it. Does anyone know of a maybe a family run, elegant and photographer friendly hotel in the Manchester or Chester areas? Emphasis on elegant, e.g. french doors, four poster etc

WESTEND PORTFOLIOS is off-linePlatinum Member
18 May 2012 12:22
WESTEND_PORTFOLIOS
Photographer
WESTEND_PORTFOLIOS
Glasgow
GLASGOW

sorry cant help you with FAMILY RUN, ELEGANT or FRIENDLY..when doing photoshoots in Manchester I use the TRAVELODGE at Manchester airport..but at £12 to £30 per night you can shoot from 3pm to midday next day.. theres no french doors or 4 poster beds but you get what you pay for..bed , shower and a bible..

SuzyLaura is off-line
18 May 2012 12:26
SuzyLaura
Model

Hampshire
southampton

Be careful, a photographer told me he was doing a shoot and some one outside moaned about the flash and security just barged in...

WESTEND PORTFOLIOS is off-linePlatinum Member
18 May 2012 12:35
WESTEND_PORTFOLIOS
Photographer
WESTEND_PORTFOLIOS
Glasgow
GLASGOW

Quote from SuzyLaura
Be careful, a photographer told me he was doing a shoot and some one outside moaned about the flash and security just barged in...

to stop security barging in best make sure curtains are closed and put a towel etc at bottom of the door to stop the light and noise escaping

Phil_M is off-line
18 May 2012 12:48
Phil_M
Photographer
Phil_M
Greater Manchester
Stockport

thanks for the advice so far.. ive nothing against a travel lodge if i was using it as a hotel room i.e to get my head down for the night but its not really the look im going for..im looking for a nice bright, spacious room, the kind of place where i could be upfront about using as a photographic location and non-adult at that so hopefully, flashes etc wouldnt give cause for concern

JDPHOTO is off-line
19 May 2012 05:33
jdphoto
Photographer
jdphoto
Bedfordshire
Flitwick

Hi we are based in Bedfordshire, and we use elegant hotel rooms for the classy backgrounds for boudoir and wedding shots.

When we want to do a shoot at the hotel, we ask them, that simple.

Normally we go along with examples of wedding albums, or boudoir books so they can see what we are aiming to shoot.

Two hotels we did deals with, where we did some work for them and then got the rooms free for several shoots, but that part was done by my wonderful wife.

We are using a hotel with wonderful honeymoon room, on a sunday afternoon for about 6 hrs £50 The room is normally only booked friday and saturday for weddings so think they are glad to make something from an empty room

Kev Williams is off-line
19 May 2012 08:23
CallmeKev
Photographer
CallmeKev
Berkshire
Reading

I recently did a shoot in a lovely hotel to the West of Banbury. I was totally open with the management as to what I was doing and there were no issues. Also no burly security etc! It would be rather difficult to drag the camera and lighting gear around without attracting any attention so be up front.

I found my hotel by searching the interweb, phoning up and asking nicely... worked for me, and you may get a reduced rate if you are not staying the night.
Good luck with the shoot
Kev

alex crawford is off-lineSilver Member
19 May 2012 10:20
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford
Essex
Chelmsford

Quote from SuzyLaura

there is no security at any travelodge i've ever stayed at in the uk, and i've
stayed at many all around england scotland and wales.

you may get a very tired (perhaps disinterested) receptionist and a few domestic
workers if you are there at the clean-up times, otherwise they are generally
bereft of staff even if you want to find a staff member !

ANYONE that "barges in" to any hotel room would be up for the sack. they are trained
to knock and wait for an answer.

if they thought a fire was happening i guess they'd let themselves
in with the master key soon after the knock doesnt get answered, but that would go down
to guest/hotel safety, and be understandable.

regards, alex

Paul is off-line
19 May 2012 10:52
ShootonLocation
Photographer
ShootonLocation
West Midlands
UK Professional Photographer

Given that the economy looks like it is on a slippery slope perhaps hotel owners could be permitted a profile here to market their premises as fashionphoto friendly

I did some portraits of the Premier Inn ( Whitbread ) marketing director recently - never thought to mention it

I guess the DAILY MAIL would love to run something negative on ' this sort of thing' though
.. it is what you leave out of the photograph that makes the picture

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Bonnylad27 miles sarahjane1 skykantara1
a24udi anthonyh cliffc djb1 dorrian Dphphotography expicto firsttake GerryS2 Iain9uk James7799 jonnywoo jpegster markeos50d mg p4pFetography photosareu rscott360 Scotography stevebenson stevegosh steveh32 TerryXX99 Thunder_Photos Willjamieson