Reminder Secure

Why doesn't Purestorm differentiate between male and female models?

This thread is currently locked
Alex Long is off-line
12 May 2012 12:30
AlLong
Model
AlLong
Leicestershire
Leicester

As a male model, I find it incredibly difficult to find castings on here, as they're all for 'models', meaning female models. I just don't understand why the site allows male models to make a profile if they seem to have a bias towards female models.

I'm not trying to criticise or anything, I just wonder what others think, or why Purestorm seems to only really cater for female models?

Quote from AlLong

Why doesn't Purestorm differentiate between male and female models?

Moderator Comment:
Purestorm does differentiate - Models may specify their gender and the Seach facility can be gender specific.

Pix Photography is off-line
12 May 2012 12:45
jetbrown
Photographer
jetbrown
West Yorkshire
Huddersfield

Hi Alex

Unfortunately this is a fact of most modelling sites.

There are many photographers that prefer to only shoot female models, for their own personal reasons.

However there are a lot of us that are more interested in a concept than just "boobs n ass".

It just means that as a guy you have to work harder to find the photographers who are happy to work with you.

My suggestion would be to come up with some interesting concepts and then create your casting calls, or maybe suggest them to photographers who you can see have previously worked with male models.
So which bit do I look through???

gerryquiff is off-lineSilver Member
12 May 2012 12:47
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Lanarkshire
Bonnie Scotland

I don't think it's a bias, it's more to do with supply and demand........There's simply a larger demand for female models.

If they only catered for female models, they probably wouldn't activate any male model portfolios.

Best info I can give is to make contact with some of the other male models on here and ask for advice specific to males if you can't find it mentioned on the forums
CAT WANTED. Must be large enough to make Davy Crockett hat. (6 7/8) Prefer ginger

" Hibby " is off-line
12 May 2012 12:50
BrazenDivas
Photographer
BrazenDivas
Highland
Inverness

Quote from AlLong
As a male model, I find it incredibly difficult to find castings on here, as they're all for 'models', meaning female models. I just don't understand why the site allows male models to make a profile if they seem to have a bias towards female models.

I'm not trying to criticise or anything, I just wonder what others think, or why Purestorm seems to only really cater for female models?

The site not only allows male models to make a profile but also allows people to search for male or female models (or both). The fact is that the overwhelming demand is for female models - clothed or nude

"A technically perfect photograph can be the worlds most boring picture" Andreas Feininger

13 May 2012 18:20
Tidal_Kitten
Model

He's got a valid point, you know....gender specific casting calls. You can't do a casting call search for a gender specific model.

But as pointed out, the site (and internet "industry") as a whole tends to have a bias so is only an issue every now and then.
More than just Kibbles and Bits

Gerry is off-line
13 May 2012 18:56
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

Quote from AlLong
As a male model, I find it incredibly difficult to find castings on here, as they're all for 'models', meaning female models. .

You maybe need to find some other way of finding photographers - not everyone who is active uses the casting system and I would hazard a guess that anyone looking for something more specific where there is likley to be only a few candidates, will use direct mail rather than the casting system,

I find the casting system a very blunt instrument and have only used it once and wished I had stuck to direct mail on that occasion.

I find the favorites function quite useful as I list models I would like to work with in the future, so its a great shortlisting function. It can be used by models for photographers - in your case, probably those whos work you admire, seem to shoot male models and are local to you. Maybe a direct approach [written specifically] is the way to go

If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

photo_phil is off-line
14 May 2012 01:07
photo_phil
Photographer
photo_phil
Lincolnshire
Coningsby

I'll happily shoot male models if they are close enough, affordable and work to nude (same goes for most female models).
My problem is that there aren't many male models and those there are rarely post casting or meet the criteria.

Joel Hicks is off-line
14 May 2012 04:04
JoelHicks
Model
JoelHicks
Leicestershire

I think a casting specific option would be a useful tool, and it is used on other portfolio hosting sites, but other than that, those commenting above are quite right - the demand for male models is simply not as large as that for female models on the freelance market. With that said, there are plenty of photographers who will quite happily work with males on a TF basis on this site.

WebModerator is a moderator
14 May 2012 04:48
WebModerator
West Sussex
Brighton

As neither the Casting Calls nor Search facilities were originally designed to be gender-specific
it would take a fair bit of recoding to now incorporate this minority* request.
We have, however, flagged the issue for the attention of the Webmaster.

*Although about 1 in 8 successful registrations are from aspiring Male Models only around 1 in 30 Premium Model members are male.
This is possibly quite an accurate representation of the gender imbalance in modelling as a whole.

14 May 2012 06:28
Buddygb
Photographer

There is a gender imbalance here but from my experience it is more pronounced because people are predominantly shooting glamour or nude. The last time I put up a casting call for a male model (clothed fashion) on this site I got one solitary response.

Over on MM, 2 of my next 7 currently booked shoots are with male models and I have another awaiting confirmation.
Currently seeking new and interesting TF collaborations. B.

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin MissCaraJane RoxyMendez
AaronKent bengie billnjane csk_photography D_H_P dby47 ElegantCaptures iestyn Ladiesman lazeeboy marty55uk oro panda49 psn redtail Spiritofwales stevegosh thestarglider zelica333