Reminder Secure

Models, what do you look for in a photographers portfolio?

This thread is being watched by 3 people
Jen Somerfield ♥ is off-lineGold Member
06 May 2012 07:14
JenSomerfield
Model
JenSomerfield
Bristol
Bristol

Quote from Clickrshots
I myself do not use the casting call system on this site, however having read this I find it interesting when models who get paid for a shoot yet expect the photographer to but up images that have no watermarks or logos and are a good size for them to copy. I must point out that I have never used the models on this thread so its not in anyway against them personaly, it's simply my personal feelings when I see this type of comment.
I protect my images by whatever means I can and always use images on sites that are low res, the best images are also tracked. This is to protect my investment.
If you are doing a TFP shoot, which I don't do, then it should be agreed before the shoot what images are given to the model.
The model should be happy in her work and feel comfortable and relaxed when shooting and always check with at least two other models before agreeing to a shoot.
Photography is an art form and as such photographers have there own style's that suit there market so if the model does not like the style of shots used on there profile she should not shoot with that photographer.
Be honest with the model from the start, clear in what you expect to get from the shoot.

Since I'm the only one to have mentioned watermarks/logos/size, I'm guessing this post refers to me. This is not about paid models "stealing" watermarked small photos - who would do that? By small I don't mean not high res, but only a few inches square so I can't see them properly, Purestorm would resize massive photos anyway. Bad watermarks and logos look dreadful - photographers who do unobtrusive watermarking/etc check out silverlight, Russ Freeman, GRPhotography, Phil Winterbourne, as these do not detract from the picture but still don't lead to photos being "stolen".

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
06 May 2012 07:56
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Quote from Clickrshots
...I find it interesting when models who get paid for a shoot yet expect the photographer to but up images that have no watermarks or logos and are a good size for them to copy...

I always give the model a few fotos (prints and files) from a paid shoot... no watermarks messing them up either. It might affect what I get charged by models, it might not.

The difference on a TF shoot is that she gets more input into what we shoot, and I'll process shots for her that I wouldn't have chosen for myself.
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

06 May 2012 08:26
Tansy_Blue
Model

Quote from Clickrshots
I myself do not use the casting call system on this site, however having read this I find it interesting when models who get paid for a shoot yet expect the photographer to but up images that have no watermarks or logos and are a good size for them to copy. I must point out that I have never used the models on this thread so its not in anyway against them personaly, it's simply my personal feelings when I see this type of comment.

If I'm being paid in cash money then the photographer can do whatever (s)he wants with the images. I appreciate it if they share the images with me, because I like seeing what we've created, but I understand that I have no rights over the image and they can resize or watermark them however they want.

However, if I'm being paid with images then I do want those images to be useful for my portfolio, and large watermarks (IMO) detract from overall image quality and also take attention away from the model, making images with a large watermark not particularly useful for portfolio. That's why I don't work trade with photographers who are only comfortable releasing images with an intrusive watermark; that's fine if that's what they want for their own portfolio, but they make the images useless for my portfolio.
"The poetic, the scientific, the erotic - why should the imagination care which master it serves?" - Ian McEwan

Heather is off-lineGold Member
06 May 2012 09:16
PurpleHeather
Model
PurpleHeather
Hampshire
Southampton/Fareham

Quote from Holmax
Having failed miserably with my casting calls lately I've been wondering quite where I'm going wrong. So what do you girls look for when looking at a photographers portfolio? I'd also appreciate it if you could take a quick peek at mine and see if there's something that would put you off and what I could do to make it better. I'd also appreciate it if you could look at some of my previous casting calls to see if I'm saying or doing something wrong. Thought this might be a handy thread for all photographers who have the similar problems to mine.

I think your profile notes are good. I like profile notes that sound like the photographer is fun to be with and easy going. This is just a hobby for me so I want to enjoy my free time. I get really put off long ranting paragraphs about no shows, copyright, chaperones, etc. That's not because I disagree with them but it's just the whole negativity of it all, it makes me think they might spend the whole shoot moaning about other models.

I wouldn't work TF with someone who has massive logos either. If the photographer is a premium member I always check the 'view image gallery of this persons images on other members profiles' link to get an idea of what other models have received. If they've all got massive logos on then I wouldn't contact that photographer for TF.

I look at the consistency of good images. If they've got a couple of amazing ones but the rest are so so then I wouldn't want to risk doing TF as there's no guarantee it will be like the amazing ones. You're only as good as your worst image! A portfolio with nothing but cheesy overdone clichés make me think the photographer has no imagination and that would put me off too. Looking at your portfolio though, it all looks good and if you were closer I wouldn't say no to a TF shoot with you! frown

Laura McIntyre (née Ford) is off-line
06 May 2012 09:28
Purple_Girl
Photographer
Purple_Girl
Lothian
West Lothian and Edinburgh

I've started using a watermark over the last few months because of a lot of picture thief bother, it hasn't impacted my shoots so far but I'm now wondering if it might put off some models.

Rich, your notes are good, they show a sense of humour and a lack of pretentiousness (if that's a word, lol.) You have a lot of really nice images, as others have said there are a few that are less good but not enough so that it would put me off if I were a model.
A dry sponge is a happy sponge.

Holmax is off-line
06 May 2012 17:24
Holmax
Photographer
Holmax
East Yorkshire
Hull

Thanks for the kind words guys.
I've had a good thin out of my pictures and there's a couple that I'm going to have a bit of a re-edit.

Nice to know I don't sound like a complete moron in my notes as well

Heather, I see you don't like working with photographers who don't like to moan, and I'm not one of them. But I'm going to have a moan now. Why do you live so dam far away!?!
www.holmax.com

06 May 2012 18:40
Tansy_Blue
Model

Small watermarks don't bother me, it's only large ones.

This...

Okay. (Small, translucent, off in a corner and not on top of the model.)

This...

Not okay.
"The poetic, the scientific, the erotic - why should the imagination care which master it serves?" - Ian McEwan

07 May 2012 11:16
FrancescaAnne
Model

Holmax to be honest in your case I think your only issue really is the availability side of things although with plenty of notice for most models if they're really keen they might find a way around it. For example I have a full time job and model part time and have been known to take off time from work in order to shoot on a weekday where it's easier for me to do that than it is for the photographer to accomodate, in fact it's probably where most of my time off goes!

For TF things I look for are good quality images in whatever genre the photographer shoots, whether I think they might challenge me or add to my portfolio, unobtrusive watermarks if they have them, friendly and easygoing, have good references, give the impression of communicating well and seem as excited about shooting with me as I will be with them!

For paid work positive references and profile notes that indicate a genuine interest in photography and images that suggest they try different things and will be good fun to work with are the key things really, watermarks no issue at all for that as I never ask for the pictures although 9 times out of 10 I'm often given them anyway Location is never an issue although on occasion travel expenses help if further away.

For you, I think it is just mainly the Monday thing, I see no reason why local girls wouldn't work with you, alot of people aren't Monday type folk also private messaging might help, 95% of my work comes via pm

Holmax is off-line
11 May 2012 14:35
Holmax
Photographer
Holmax
East Yorkshire
Hull

Thanks FrancescaAnne,
I think I'm going to do a lot more private messaging from now on and forget the casting calls.
www.holmax.com

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
FirstLifePhotography sniffer woody