Reminder Secure

MUA Outfits??

Carol-Ann Bavage is off-line
01 May 2012 08:39
CBavage
Make-up Artist

Victoria

Hello fellow MUAs :-)

Just a general question really (and i feel silly for asking)

What do you wear to photoshoots? During my course one tutor kept pushing me to buy white smock type things, and I do have one - but i dont like wearing it.

My preference is for simple and comfortable (black trousers white t-shirt or top)

What is your preference?

Claire Shipman is off-line
02 May 2012 06:52
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Black, usually nearly all black sometimes with different trousers but  nearly always black or grey on top but it is a personal preference. I almost always end up with foundation or lipstick on me, so would very rarely wear white. Black is easier to get clean.

To be honest I wont say your tutors wrong but some white will reflect light onto your models face possibly effecting the base colour of her / his skin and making it harder for you to judge the actual skin colour where as black absorbs light.

Mostly all mua's *I know* (Not everyone) wear black unless they are on TV then they dress up a bit maybe even in colour lol!

Black certainly looks smarter especailly when people love taking bahind the scenes shots, so always be prepared lol!

Hope this helps

Karen Hegarty is off-line
06 May 2012 10:49
simplydivine
Make-up Artist
simplydivine
Cheshire

I agree with Claire's full answer. Just to add my bit... I tend to wear black mostly, but also just coloured tops with black trousers or black or blue jeans. Depends on where I am going (studio or location) I wear comfortable tops and usually layered as I never know what the temperature is going to be like, sometimes it's freezing in a studio sometimes it's hot, I tend to get hot when I'm working so peel the layers off. Obviously it can be cold on an outdoor location shoot (in this country at least lol)
I think the beauty tunics are too formal and restrictive, and I'm not a therapist in a salon so don't want to dress/look like one. I like to be comfortable as I can be bending over or kneeling on floor, or what ever and don't want to worry about getting "dirty " in white. If I'm working with girls in my team I got us all black t- shirts which are logoed with my company name, and we wear black trousers or leggings which ever the girls are comfortable with, and if needed black cardigan, jacket, or waistcoat for warmth. Also flat or comfortable shoes or boots as days can be long and hard on the feet Hope this helps you Karen x

10 May 2012 09:43
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Good point Karen, a lot of studios are freezing! So layer up

And I just near to share this site, amazing T shirts from Give good face:

http://givegoodface.spreadshirt.com/you-had-me-at-mascara-C83576

12 May 2012 06:17
simplydivine
Make-up Artist
simplydivine
Cheshire

agree Claire, I love Jordan Liberty's t shirts they are fab and have fun logos I saw someone online the other day wearing one that said "this is not a magic wand" with a brush next to it ... love it

14 May 2012 11:50
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Haha There amazing!!!

I think that one is a tiny bit offensive hence why I've not ordered it, funny though!

Emi Rose is off-line
14 May 2012 15:35
emirose
Model
emirose
Northumberland
Choppington

I'm not a make up artist but I do have a qualification in make-up application and worked with models through doing my course. We were taught to wear plain black trousers, black flat shoes (and socks/tights) and a black smock top (I think that's what they're called!)
love emi ♥

03 June 2012 06:53
simplydivine
Make-up Artist
simplydivine
Cheshire

all colleges have their student in that kind of "uniform" but if you are freelance then as Claire and I have said is fine.
ps Claire yes it's a bit naughty that t shirt but made me smile.

20 September 2012 07:47
Secondskin
Make-up Artist

Well I must be the make up artist that breaks the mould then...haha as I hardly wear black and always dress to suit my creative mood and for whatever the shoot involves. If its a bodypaint...I dress in turbans, harem pants and all manner of scruffy, hippy baggy comfortable clothing!!lol. If its on location Im dressed like Im going to a festival..lol. Obviously if its a more discerning client, I scrub up...but what I never do is restrict my creative flow by feeling stuffy in a beauty tunic and clogs...ewww..Cant think of anything more likely to stop my creativity in its tracks!!lol

20 September 2012 07:57
Secondskin
Make-up Artist

Although I do like the odd themed day...Like sometimes I feel like being a 50s girl...or a bit gothic..or rock chic...I have fun with my clothes really.

15 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
CIEGE_CJ Coldasice80 JohnErnest mandymack xxalixx
chandos extra_mayo frankpht Jamesfitzpatrick JohnDentonPhoto LGI modelimages4u moritz78 NatashaCalamita rscott360