This thread is being watched by 4 people
Skymouse is off-lineGold Member
13 April 2012 00:14
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

A few different strands of logic all clearly play a part.

First, there's no real escaping supply and demand. Simply, when a photographer (or, if it's part of a business operation) the photographer's client,employer,publisher, sales agent etc.) won't pay more than they need to to obtain the specified product. If a model can produce the necessary goods to the required standard much more cheaply than another model, degradation doesn't come into it. If they're going to pay a premium because a model expects more pay, it will happen because that model has been judged to provide enough extra value to make the high price worthwhile.

That's not to say that a human element will never come into it. Photo shoots involve human beings so if the photographer (or a a team) find that working with a one model is like pulling teeth whereas another one is a joy to work with, then all things being equal it's possible they might choose the one who makes their own life easier and less stressful. But even this can be translated into a relative "cost".

The bottom line is that to earn more you have to be competitive.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx.

Skinz Entertainment is off-lineGold Member
16 April 2012 05:05
skinz
Photographer
skinz
Sweden

Quote from beauvoir
I don't think that's fair. I mean, I work hard no matter what my rates are, but if I'm sitting prettily on a bed wearing underwear, then it's not justifiable to charge the same for that as I do when I'm hanging upside down in a dungeon having 10 shades of sh!t beaten out of me. Higher levels is harder work and my rates reflect that.

lol... your descriptive...lol...I like you already.

10 shades of... hahahahaha. My mood has been brightened.

Emi Rose is off-line
16 April 2012 05:36
emirose
Model
emirose
Northumberland
Choppington

Quote from orsoncarter
Suzy -- I'm not at all surprised that most models don't advertise their rates. For one thing, organisations such as the Inland Revenue have eyes and ears everywhere. Another thing is that many models seem to have rates that vary in accordance with the job on offer, so quoting a set rate when they might be prepared to do some jobs for less would probably be a bad move.

But in the days when I paid models, that was hypothetical. I had a set rate that I paid for an all day shoot. That rate was exactly the same irrespective of what style I was shooting or who I was shooting with. To me, it seemed a fair way of doing things. I can't recall one single instance of a model saying 'no' to that daily rate.

love emi ♥

Emi Rose is off-line
16 April 2012 05:36
emirose
Model
emirose
Northumberland
Choppington

Quote from orsoncarter
Suzy -- I'm not at all surprised that most models don't advertise their rates. For one thing, organisations such as the Inland Revenue have eyes and ears everywhere. Another thing is that many models seem to have rates that vary in accordance with the job on offer, so quoting a set rate when they might be prepared to do some jobs for less would probably be a bad move.

But in the days when I paid models, that was hypothetical. I had a set rate that I paid for an all day shoot. That rate was exactly the same irrespective of what style I was shooting or who I was shooting with. To me, it seemed a fair way of doing things. I can't recall one single instance of a model saying 'no' to that daily rate.

love emi ♥

24 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
DareMeDD harryking kategrimsby RoxyMendez ryansd
andrewf antoinewynn chicimages D_H_P dannyrich david1500 djb1 dorrian GGDP_Photography gperl ignite Ladiesman mlp parafotos penfold10 psn Studio1 Thunder_Photos
harbourstudio