Emma Mckay is off-line
09 April 2012 02:08
Emma_Mckay
Model
Emma_Mckay
Cornwall
Can travel worldwide

Ok & hello

I've been out the modelling world for awhile but have still been checking on sites like this and noticed models are doing anything for a few quid...?? £20 ph for nude or £30 ph for open leg/solo toy... REALLY...??
I was thinking the other day.. (Ooo can be dangerous lol) if you hire an electrician for the hour you'll be paying him/her around £80 ph & yes I know there qualified but if a model has a good portfolio and experience behind them, I'd say that's as good as a qualification so why are models charging a few quid to get there kit off??

I know we're all struggling at the minute but I'm finding it all alittle degrading. This reflects terribly on the girls who respect themselves and there work by putting a reasonable price on there rates just to get told your rates are too high because one girls willing to work to nude/solo work for what there charging for say topless/implied nude levels... Is it just me who is finding these prices a little too cheep and degrading??...

Xxxx Emma

All in put welcome

09 April 2012 02:16
ChrisY
Photographer

Its even worse for photographers... When expectations for a very large percentage is to not pay at all.

Ciaran Whyte is off-line
09 April 2012 02:18
ciaran
Photographer
This member has been suspended
This member has been reset to pending
ciaran
Dublin

So... "Getting your kit off" for £20 is degrading, but for £80 it's not? Dignity has a price?

Good models are worth paying a fair price, but no... A good portfolio is not equivalent to a qualification. Qualifications last for life (perhaps with some retraining), portfolios are transient
http://www.thewonderoflight.com

Gerry is off-line
09 April 2012 02:18
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

It might have something to do with the fact that some photographers, particularly one from the very north seems to equate models with shelf stackers at the supermarket.

On the other hand, do you actually think any electricians are earning 40 hours per week x £80. You are equating a sole trader with a business that has over heads, equipment and minimum standards of skill required by law.

As a photographer, I wouldnt pay that low for what you have described because in that case, my view is the model is not worth shooting.

Unfortunately, there are too many models and very little money coming into it.

If someone wants to come in without looks or ability and just open their legs for GWC's, they may be happy with £30 per hour - it could be three times what else they are capable of earning.

If you find it degrading, you shouldnt be doing it anyway. If you feel the money is not adequate, then either work out how you can make yourself more marketable [a very few models are earning double that]or do something else.

You cannot force people to pay more than they are prepared to do any more than anyone else can force you to shoot what you are not happy to do
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

Paul Hodson is off-line
09 April 2012 02:57
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

£500 an hour is an acceptable hourly rate - if you can get it.

And that is the point. The right rate is the rate you can achieve.
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

TarMoo is off-line
09 April 2012 03:05
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
Kent
Chatham

I have booked around fifty models for paid shoots this last year and I have quite a good appreciation of current rates. I think rates are lower now than they were a couple of years ago. There are lots of models offering art nude at £25/hr. Glamour nude used to be always £40/hr, but I have done some shoots with excellent glamour models for less this year.

If you have been not modelling for a while than you will need to readjust your rates to the current expectations. If your rates are £10/hr over the "going rate" then you will get hardly any bookings. You will also put off photographers who will never contact you again as you will be classified as "overpriced".

One glamour model I shot at £40/hr put up her rates to £45/hr, then I noticed a few weeks later she was offering shoots at £25/hr. The optimum rate is the highest rate where you still get a lot of bookings. If you are getting a lot of bookings and up your rate, you may choke off all interest and have to resort to desperate measures to get more. If you are getting little interest with your current rates, then they are probably too high.
Q: How to make a small fortune from photography? A: Start with a large fortune.

Iain Thomson is off-linePlatinum Member
09 April 2012 03:16
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Bedfordshire

I guess models earn the rates the market decides they are worth paying and can only realistically charge accordingly if they want to get the bookings. Most will be lucky if they see any paid work at all, the majority will only get regular work at rates which equate to  £10/£15 an hour (if they look at the figures honestly and realistically, taking their actual working day into account), A very few can get regular work earning £30plus an hour.

At the moment I pay a job dependant daily rate which probably equates to £40/£50 an hour for most jobs up to the equivalent of around £60/£80 for the top jobs. In real terms this  is probably 25% less than I was paying 4 years ago. Most clients either pay the same or less than they did 4/5 years ago, thats the way the market is.

I dont think the Electrician anology holds up. Most electricians actually earn around £20 an hour.

I am a skilled cabinetmaker. I am an unskilled photographer. As a skilled cabinetmaker I would probably earn around £20 an hour in the current market, as a relatively unskilled photographer I earn considerably more than this. 

I am substancially overpaid relative to my skill base in photography terms. I am paid high rates because few people can do or want to do what I do.

Most models are overpaid relative to their skill base, at internet level they earn because they are doing a job that most people either cannot or don't want to do, not because they are particularly skilled.

PS. Before I get jumped on there are highly skilled models out there...Katy Pectin is an example, but they are few and far between at internet level 

I tend to be a modest man, but then I do have a lot to be modest about.

Emma Mckay is off-line
09 April 2012 03:45
Emma_Mckay
Model
Emma_Mckay
Cornwall
Can travel worldwide

I agree with you all.. There are lots of ways this can be taken and looked at.

I think It's a mess really... Lol

Hope things are going well for everyone xx

Emma Mckay is off-line
09 April 2012 03:49
Emma_Mckay
Model
Emma_Mckay
Cornwall
Can travel worldwide

Ok your idea on rates:

Fashion - ££
Lingerie - ££
Swimwear - ££
Implied topless/implied nude - ££
Topless - ££
Nude - ££
Fetish - ££
Solo adult - ££
Hard adult - ££

I know it also could depend on model, experience blah blah blah... But just roughly asking on opinions xx

Iain Thomson is off-linePlatinum Member
09 April 2012 03:57
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Bedfordshire

Quote from Emma_Mckay
Ok your idea on rates: Fashion - ££ Lingerie - ££ Swimwear - ££ Implied topless/implied nude - ££ Topless - ££ Nude - ££ Fetish - ££ Solo adult - ££ Hard adult - ££ I know it also could depend on model, experience blah blah blah... But just roughly asking on opinions xx

One rate up to your max non-adult level. Anything else looks a bit silly and unprofessional (in my opinion)

For adult, You'll probably be offered a rate for the job...otherwise, however much somebody will pay to see your bits:-)
I tend to be a modest man, but then I do have a lot to be modest about.

2 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Hann
gordon