Reminder Secure

Friend and Follow features would be good!

09 April 2012 11:29
Siras
Photographer

KPG and Stolenfaces have pretty much summed this up for me

A "Following" facility would be largely superfluous as we can already save a link to people whose work we wish to keep tabs on to whichever favourites folder we choose - are we saying that looking through such folders every now and again is too much trouble?. If so, it doesn't say a lot for our level of admiration for the profile(s) concerned.

As for "Friend"-ing other members, I'm afraid I remain unconvinced by the arguments in favour. What is the point? - ok, MM has a "Friends" feature, and "it works well" there apparently, but at what?. I really can't see what purpose it serves other than as an ego boost for the popular members - accumulating 302 (number chosen at random, but not unrealistic based on some MM profiles) friends cannot possibly say you're "...probably up for shooting sometime" to all of them - and as Phil himself offers at least two different interpretations (and I've little doubt I come up with a couple more without too much difficulty) as to the "meaning" of being friended, how should someone guess as to which of these, if any, is actually intended?.

If such a PS Friends list was private (ie., not displayed on individuals' profiles) it's likely it would, for all intents and purposes, resemble something like the current favourites facility - if it was open for all to see it could, in my view, quickly become an exercise in vanity and a wholely unnecessary put-down to those who might discover they're not "worthy" of acceptance as friends by certain members - with inclusion comes exclusion. As things are, we're PS members, plain and simple - various subscription levels, of course - but all with equal standing inspite of our differing abilities.

No, I can see the (in my view mistaken) attraction of adding yet more and more features in order to emulate those found elsewhere. Nothing is ever perfect, but keeping the site (and the servers!) as clutter-free as possible seems like a good thing to me. The likes of Facebook have been pretty much ruined by endless unasked-for "improvements".

If you want to show admiration or interest in a future shoot send a PM. KISS.

Si

ps. Having said all that, Dominic's idea of opening (limited access?) sections for clients/designers/stylists etc., - and non-studio shooting venue owners perhaps? - seems like an interesting one.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is

Laura McIntyre (née Ford) is off-line
09 April 2012 11:29
Purple_Girl
Photographer
Purple_Girl
Lothian
West Lothian and Edinburgh

My thoughts; if I like someone's work enough to want to see what's new, I'll occasionally visit their page for a peek, which isn't exactly going out of my way, I'm sitting here anyway. I for one don't want notifications every time someone uploads a photo. We have a 'favourites' list for reference so I don't see a need for being able to 'friend' people, we can already comment on images to let someone know we like their image, we have the forums if we want to strike up a discussion; what's wrong with leaving it at that? There are already a lot of options on here, I agree with others that there's no need to turn Purestorm into another facebook.

Next thing we know, people will be calling for a shoutbox, ('Comment for comment, I don't really like your images but I'll say something nice on yours if you do the same for me, how great will that make us look!') or a chat window cluttering the side of the page. I like Purestorm as it hasn't fallen foul to those things. Sigh.

A dry sponge is a happy sponge.

Phil Winterbourne is off-lineGold Member
09 April 2012 11:47
PhilWinterbourne
Photographer
PhilWinterbourne
West Yorkshire
Leeds/Wakefield

Quote from Siras
 ok, MM has a "Friends" feature, and "it works well" there apparently, but at what?. I really can't see what purpose it serves other than as an ego boost for the popular members - accumulating 302 (number chosen at random, but not unrealistic based on some MM profiles) friends cannot possibly say you're "...probably up for shooting sometime"  

All I can say it that a good proportion (no way of quantifying, but from memory) of my shoots started life as a "friend" on MM.

It's the non commital nature of it that makes the approach easier I think.

Ceratinly when I was starting out I had felt intimidated about approaching some models with anything as brazen as a PM saying "want to shoot".  Butfor a fair few me adding them as a fiend lead to a PM, and then a shoot.

So that's what I mean by working well.

Now I'm somewhat 'established' I've ended up shooting a lot of people who's first approach was to friend me.

Of course not all FR's turn into shoots, as inmterests and abilities change and people move one, but there is a steady trickle of new ones, some of which do mature into more concrete comunications. This probably explains why people tend to accumulate large numbers of "friends" over time

I don't think (well, I won't put anything past anybody.... I would like to think) that no one is actually so shallow and misunderstanding of the social network dynamics, to actually get an "ego boots" from how many internet "friends" they have 

As for the follow thing - yes I am afraid I am that lazy.  A little feed I can click on to see what everyone I like is doing would be brill.  With so many information feeds hitting us in this connected world, something as mundain as keeping a favorites list and rememembering to go look at thier profiles... it just isn't something I'm going to do.
www.philwinterbourne.co.uk

09 April 2012 11:49
PhilWinterbourne
Photographer
PhilWinterbourne
West Yorkshire
Leeds/Wakefield

Quote from Sirasunnecessary put-down to those who might discover they're not "worthy" of acceptance as friends by certain members - with inclusion comes exclusion.

Sorry missed this bit.

is that really likely? and do you really worry about it?  I must lead a very sheltered life!

09 April 2012 12:03
Siras
Photographer

.. each to their own Phil - and we obviously both have strong views on this so I don't think we're going to sway each others thinking.

I'm simply concerned that in tinkering too much PS might well become a mish-mash rather than the relatively solid concept we have at present.

Si
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is

Neil Anderson is off-line
09 April 2012 12:46
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

So you send someone a friend request and they ignore it, what does that mean ?
That they wouldn't work with you if you were the last photographer on earth, or that they think the friend system is stupid. Or if they accept it, it just means they hope you might pay them.
People who offer people paid work, just do that, there's no need for all this buttering people up with friends and likes and sycophancy. I had some models as facebook friends but I found the sycophancy of the networking there just vomit-inducing.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

09 April 2012 15:42
PhilWinterbourne
Photographer
PhilWinterbourne
West Yorkshire
Leeds/Wakefield

Quote from stolenfaces
 People who offer people paid work, just do that, there's no need for all this buttering people up with friends and likes and sycophancy.

I hardly think of myself as sycophantic.  But if it's as simple as People who tend to pay for shoots don't want/need this functionality, but those who tent to work for trade do. Why not let us have it, and ignore it if you don't want it?

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
09 April 2012 15:49
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Am I the only person here who freaks out at the thought of random strangers wanting to be friends on social networking sites/modelling sites?

Honestly, it scares the crap out of me at times
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

09 April 2012 15:52
PhilWinterbourne
Photographer
PhilWinterbourne
West Yorkshire
Leeds/Wakefield

It's ok - no one actually wants to be your friend - you are confusing the real world usage of the word with the internet one.

It's just a useful shorthand.

and RC - probably yes  

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
09 April 2012 15:55
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I know 'friend' is a loose term but I don't like the stalking thing as it seems nosey - having said that, I'm starting to follow people on Twitter.

I'm old fashioned I guess and can't quite get my head around it all.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

24 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
HazelAries missminiskirt winX
antoinewynn bernadinism casell clarmike cliffc dorrian duncanjames eosfan freddie Impression James7799 Johnathons keltica Kjoservices liteangle Lumen Nunude orca_photography snapdragon swalsh58 Thunder_Photos