life drawing models [rates?]

Pete Whelan is off-line
27 March 2012 09:18
vipimages
Photographer
vipimages
Merseyside
Wirral

I will be starting a life drawing group shortly and was wondering what the hourly rate is for life models before I put a casting up

Any help would be apreciated cheeky
www.vipimages.co.uk www.vipstudios.co.uk

Amber West is off-line
27 March 2012 09:58
Amber6
Model
Amber6
Dumfries and Galloway

When I modelled for classes at the V&A last year, I got 15 p/h. Tends to range from 10p/h-20p/h in my experience. Earlier this year, I did do an 'erotic' art drawing class (the poses more explicit) and was paid slightly more then

Pete Whelan is off-line
27 March 2012 10:00
vipimages
Photographer
vipimages
Merseyside
Wirral

we used to pay £10 ph a good few years ago, not changed that much then

thanks for the reply
www.vipimages.co.uk www.vipstudios.co.uk

27 March 2012 16:47
Serena
Model

My work on the Wirral hasn't been any more well paid than anywhere else. Williamson Art Gallery iss about £25 for a couple of hours and one at Ness was netting me £65 for 4 hours again to include travel. Although I sometimes do it and visit family at the same time it's poorly paid. A weekend at Burton Manor (including meals) about £75. Shame it's all so poorly paid - it makes it unviable for anyone who isn't on the doorstep. I used to get about £14 an hour at the local college in North Wales but less at the local library. Good lifemodels are now even harder to find and believe me, a poor one is a nightmare for the artists. Consider a 'better rate' than the poor norm and you might come up trumps and get someone really good. Best of luck.
Fun, friendly and experienced mature model with lively personality and youthful figure!

27 March 2012 18:10
Tansy_Blue
Model

£20ph!

I wish...

Where I am I get round around £12.50ph for a class, and I normally ask for £15ph for private sittings.

I get offered £10ph sometimes but refuse to take it. I would consider it if there was travel on top or it was for a full day booking. (Most of the classes I get offered are 2 hours, and as travel normally costs at least £5 and takes 2 hours I'm essentially getting £15 for four hours of time.)
"The poetic, the scientific, the erotic - why should the imagination care which master it serves?" - Ian McEwan

ICONIC :P is off-line
27 March 2012 19:58
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
Lincolnshire
Grimsby

so £15 per hour to draw a nude model and £50 to photograph them - were all in the wrong trade
pissing purestorm off since 2009

27 March 2012 20:05
_Maz_
Model

I was always paid £12-12.50 an hour for life drawing classes. Pretty hard going too, keeping still for extended periods of time! (Especially if, like me, you stupidly commit yourself to a pose that's quite strenuous at the best of times, and end up having to hold it for an hour or more at any time. )
Scottish Alternative Model, represented by Spirit Model Management. Just a wee bit bonkers ;) www.kasuminoir.co.uk

Simon Chan is off-line
27 March 2012 23:27
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

I use to draw at life drawing class so would be interested.

28 March 2012 02:54
Gfun
Photographer

Pretty standard expenses only to £10 per hour brings in a wide range of shapes sizes and genders from Gumtree etc

But for more reliable people £12 is the going rate.

Did a casting call on here about 18 months ago which received a good response at £36 (for 3 hours evening work no expenses) for models local to the class.

Yes its less than photography but life classes are generally run on a shoe string/not for profit basis where once you have paid expenses its the model who takes home the most cash.

" Hibby " is off-line
28 March 2012 04:08
BrazenDivas
Photographer
BrazenDivas
Highland
Inverness

Quote from Iconic
so £15 per hour to draw a nude model and £50 to photograph them - were all in the wrong trade

Your choice to pay that. I work with many life models more than happy to work for £10 or so an hour for
life drawing or artistic nude photography and that is how I have built more than 90% of my portfolio. Obviously if you offer them £50 an hour they will grab it with both hands.

"A technically perfect photograph can be the worlds most boring picture" Andreas Feininger

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
lilkim18x lynnesel Sammi_1985 toxicinnocence VictoriaClaire wildchief Winterlilly
Anderson78 BOZZ Brian2008 diphoto dorrian firsttake geoffmarchant jimbob Kjoservices KosupureUK MAMAMIYA markeos50d Oberonfoto philippahh pierre poah rscott360 skymouse stevegosh StuartCollinsPhoto Studio1
photo39