Reminder Secure

'London' is a bit vague

This thread is being watched by 2 people
WebModerator is a moderator
25 March 2012 04:39
WebModerator
West Sussex
Brighton

The quotation below explained the situation - Matt has not yet found an alternative that works better.
(from a 20 November 2011 post on a similar topic)

Quote from ForumModerator
This has been brought up many times before, but for those who are unaware. when Matt created the Purestorm database Post Office postcode data was unavailable at reasonable cost to web designers so he did not build in this as a requirement of registration.
Only the Country and County fields in the Address section have been Required rather than Optional so very few members have provided this information over the last 7 years that the site has been active. Member searches by County are therefore possible but by postcode are currently impossible.
Casting Call Searches by County were originally tried but proved to be unworkable
so a region-based system was quickly introduced to crack the problem.

Matt is currently working on a new Search Criteria system
so until then the above applies for England.
Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland should be self-explanatory.

Note that Casting Call Notifications can be tailored for multiple regions to suit members' specific requirements

25 March 2012 04:43
Socialdisaster
Photographer

Quote from Andy_B

I've seen it work well elsewhere.

What are these problems and idiosyncrasies?

I'm also on a non-model site that has first letters of postcode search and it works wonderfully - the abilty to seach CB* is fantastic. The one problem with it is people choosing the wrong letters on their profile(and you'd be shocked at how often it happens)

Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

HowardJ is off-line
25 March 2012 04:46
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from RedChecker
^ This is why Howard's idea is crap, plus I'm a lazy sod and can't be wasting the time of day for such nonsense

well I find the model(s) I'm interested in working with and then contact them providing details of the job and ask them for their rough location (this applies not just for London models). they come back to me with nearest town or area of London and I decided if I'm brave enough to drive into that part of big bad London. Simples....

it's a model's look that is the primary factor in searches not their location. If Kelly Brook registered on here and lived in central London and had a fantastic penthouse apartment to shoot at then i'd probably be able to come up with a plan to get there to shoot her.

HowardJ is off-line
25 March 2012 04:57
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from RedChecker
...I'm a lazy sod and can't be wasting the time of day for such nonsense

and there in lies your problem....

ForumModerator is a moderatorPlatinum Member
25 March 2012 05:03
ForumModerator

West Sussex

Quote from Socialdisaster
  The one problem with it is people choosing the wrong letters on their profile(and you'd be shocked at how often it happens)

That is just one of many problems with postcode-based (radius-based) systems.
However the biggest problem seems to be that some do not wish to spend a few seconds or minutes
either filling out details properly (such as using optional fields) or searching for what they specifically require.
~~~~~~~~

G Jack B is off-line
25 March 2012 05:05
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

Quote from Socialdisaster
 The one problem with it is people choosing the wrong letters on their profile(and you'd be shocked at how often it happens)

I dont care if they cant fill it in.... then I wont find them so its not my problem.

Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
25 March 2012 05:09
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from HowardJ
and there in lies your problem....

Of course I ask when I really am interested but it would make it so much easier at a glance if I had some idea beforehand, even if it said, N S E W or Central as I know I'd probably ignore S and E and maybe Central (coming from outside NW London).

As already menioned, sometimes a model can see a simple enquiry such as this as a near-confirmed job and you spend the next 2-3 days playing PM tennis.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

25 March 2012 06:16
Gfun
Photographer

You would be surprised how many London based models reply to 'NW' then quickly loose interest when they find I mean NW UK not NW London.
(Though travel time London to Manchester is only 2hrs)

I think the system works OK as in casting calls a photographer states where the shoot is. Or if you want a specific look a model has you know about how much it will cost to get her to the shoot.

Perhaps a 'willingness to travel x miles or x hours' may be a interesting box to add?

w4pictures is off-line
25 March 2012 08:22
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

Quote from HowardJ
well I find the model(s) I'm interested in working with and then contact them providing details of the job and ask them for their rough location (this applies not just for London models). they come back to me with nearest town or area of London and I decided if I'm brave enough to drive into that part of big bad London. Simples.... it's a model's look that is the primary factor in searches not their location. If Kelly Brook registered on here and lived in central London and had a fantastic penthouse apartment to shoot at then i'd probably be able to come up with a plan to get there to shoot her.

I'm not sure I would feel entirely comfortable asking a model where she lives on the first contact and expect that many would feel equally uncomfortable answering. The point of this thread is that you shouldn't have to ask, thereby obviating the email ping-pong that's bound to follow.

I'd rather a model arrived fresh as a daisy than one who's just had a stressful 2 hours packed in a crowded tube/bus/train on a hot day. Not to mention the travel costs.

The rest of the country is well served by region and town, but not London.

Neil Anderson is off-line
25 March 2012 09:02
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from w4pictures
I'm not sure I would feel entirely comfortable asking a model where she lives on the first contact and expect that many would feel equally uncomfortable answering. The point of this thread is that you shouldn't have to ask, thereby obviating the email ping-pong that's bound to follow.

I'd rather a model arrived fresh as a daisy than one who's just had a stressful 2 hours packed in a crowded tube/bus/train on a hot day. Not to mention the travel costs.

The rest of the country is well served by region and town, but not London.

It's pretty simple:  If you are expecting them to come to you, you say I am based in xxxx it is on the xxx tube line near station yyy (or whatever). What area of london would you be coming from ?  Please check that you would be happy to make the journey before we discuss any further details, and specify any expenses that you would expect to be paid.

If you are thinking of going to the model or arranging something more complicated, then there's no point in making any arrangements without asking which area the model lives.

Arranging your times so that the model does not travel in the rush hour avoids the hot and bothered problem (and reduces expenses).

You really have to be a long way apart for it to take much more than an hour to travel anywhere in London on public transport. (and very close for it to take much less than an hour). By whatever means it usually takes 30mins to get to the centre and another 30mins to get back out again. The problems start when you are a long way from tube or rail station which would not be revealed by any of the proposed additional classifications.

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AegeanSoft apogeeimages carshaltonkev gazza32