Photographer
Renton
London

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17472993

Discuss.

23 March 2012 08:03
Framesphotography
Photographer

This happens more frequently than you might think. I,ve certainly noticed another "professional photographers" association where the winners are regularly either involved in the judging or directors of the association. The accolades then hold a great deal of weight with the uninformed general public, but hopefully very little with those in the know. A disgrace.

Adrian S is off-line
24 March 2012 02:34
dudekdude47
Photographer
dudekdude47
North Yorkshire
Scarborough

I recall someone winning £500 as Fuji photographer of the month.
Until
Someone told them.
It was her daughters work, and could be seen on her South American web pages.

Plus.

It was shot using a Cannon camera, with Kodak film.
'Deo volente I will always be here'

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
24 March 2012 03:47
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I posted this article on my FB wall - someone commented that perhaps the SWPP aught to pay attention
I prefer not to think before I speak. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.

Fluffypup is off-line
24 March 2012 11:18
Fluffypup
Photographer

Nottinghamshire

Shocking. I never realised that photographers would pat each other on the back so that they could have the favour returned.

Right, off to port review forum

24 March 2012 11:27
Profoto
Photographer

This is a very sad day for British photography.
This is one of the many reasons that stops people from paying into the " member of a professional society" thing.
One of the listed judges appears on my list of sleaze for another event not so long ago in the north east.

He is one of the most qualified members in the country, on merit. But you have to ask, why do they allow themselves to be in this questionable position.

Peter is off-line
24 March 2012 11:35
peterbuchanphoto
Photographer
peterbuchanphoto
West Yorkshire
Leeds

Well I was considering applying to bipp as it seemed the most professional body plus would perhaps lend a bit more credibility to me in the eyes of joe public... bugger that

RGBphoto is off-linePlatinum Member
24 March 2012 11:54
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

This was 'picked up' by the BBC from an ill informed sensationalised 'headline' in BJP online. The BJP was once a fine journal but now the "Sun on Photography", open to any ill informed, un researched, tittle tattle and innuendo. The complete explanation of the process, not published( what a surprise) gave full details of the procedure explaining fully how no judge was ever involved in any process involving their work. Afterwards a second, completely fresh judging panel taking place on a different day, reviewed the results, only then were any awards made.

DoxPhotox is off-lineSilver Member
24 March 2012 16:52
DCox
Photographer
DCox
Northamptonshire

Quote from magpie1
This was 'picked up' by the BBC from an ill informed sensationalised 'headline' in BJP online. The BJP was once a fine journal but now the "Sun on Photography", open to any ill informed, un researched, tittle tattle and innuendo. The complete explanation of the process, not published( what a surprise) gave full details of the procedure explaining fully how no judge was ever involved in any process involving their work. Afterwards a second, completely fresh judging panel taking place on a different day, reviewed the results, only then were any awards made.

sadly Magpie......you dont have "home" referees in international football, and cricket benefitted from switching to international panels of umpires rather than home nation mainly because of the potential claims of bias.  This looks worse regardless of the truth. The judges were contestants...even if they were not directly involved in judging their own work.  The Judges won (many) prizes in a competition they were involved in judging......

it looks and smells fishy.........It might not be but it should not look it.  The best way to stop mudslinging after the facts, is to make sure the process is squeaky clean

82 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AnnieDarlington bambi77 Bexwhite Casia dyce emmwood funali James_colledge kacie kimmy99 Mecia1990 Pammymc shanti ZoeyJane
Aquarian Aquarius banks2 bdfoto blacklion Bmthphotography bowens caretaker2012 Chris_Mansfield ChrisD chrispics clarmike cps crdphotographics D_H_P daveinsurrey david_barns djb1 doctor Dom dubbzdg Essexjohn EvaBi FotoFoxy_Photography glossypinklipstick Goodbloke grahamr humphries IainT imageatthemill ionosphere jb3329 jerryg jimimohan Johnboy2 jyp KDP Kphoto maffphoto mansell Mark_Time markdavey MIB oceanova onetwo123 panda49 Paul_Tooth paul167 Phfan photosw Phtosham plymjack Profilepictures RJA_Photography roger1944 Roger1954 RSRP skinz Snooper911 steveh32 stevespurgin studio17 TACKLEBERRY thestarglider Tris Yekim yellow_peril
photo39