This thread is being watched by 6 people
This thread is currently locked
Maddawg is off-line
04 March 2012 05:40
pmeswani
Photographer
pmeswani
London

Just thinking about arranging a meetup over the coming couple of months and was wondering if anyone is interested? Probably be on a Thursday or Friday evening somewhere central. Would be a great networking opportunity.
Update: Thursday, 5th April. 6:30pm (possible Dress Rehearsal at 5pm)
The Chandos 29 Saint Martin's Lane, City of Westminster, London WC2N 4ER

04 March 2012 06:41
GemH
Model

I'd definitely be up for it

SimonB is off-lineGold Member
04 March 2012 10:16
DaseinPhoto
Photographer
DaseinPhoto
Essex
Epping

About time we had another one. The usual place is the Moon Under Water at Leicester Square, normally pretty well attended.
I got the secret to happiness from the back of a bleach bottle - "Stand upright in a cool place"

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
04 March 2012 10:24
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from GemH
I'd definitely be up for it

Promises, promises.

Prash, the two normal locations for London pss-ups networking meets are the upstaris Opera Bar at Chandos, just off Trafalgar Square opposite the National Portrait Gallery, and the Moon Under The Water on Leicester Square. I've attended the odd meet in both locations for the last six or seven years and they've usually been better attended that other places in London.

MUTW often gets very busy and is quite large, so it is not unusual for people to turn up and not find the group if they don't know anyone. Chandos can get busy just before Theatreland opens but eases off later in the evening and the layout makes it easier to spot the group. Both pubs are close to Leicester Square underground, so out-of-towners can easily get back to their stations even with a skinful, though in my case catching the 23:30 has been a close run thing on the odd occasion. Drinks prices are reasonable as Chandos is owned by Sam Smiths and MUTW is owned by Wetherspoons

Friday night can sometimes be a problem for model attendance as the professionals will possibly be working with their bread & butter market on the Saturday, and wedding photographers may have to give it a miss too as the season is starting soon. Thursday night can be a problem for lightweights who have to go to work on Friday. Saturday night meets are usually poorly attended, as last trains are early and many models will be partying if not working on Sunday (or in some cases partying and doing a No-Show on the Sunday?).

I usually only know for sure if I can make a London meet at the last minute, due to my work patterns, but if Gem's going I'll do my best to get there. And if JadedRed, Laylarc. Tansy_Blue and Tidal_Kitten all turn up, I'll block my calendar to be there as that would be a night to remember.

Bob

Maddawg is off-line
04 March 2012 15:51
pmeswani
Photographer
pmeswani
London

Point taken regarding holding the event on a Friday. I know that Wetherspoons pubs do a good selection of vegeterian food. Does anyone know if Chandos do any vegeterian food?

I know a pub near Bank station that we could reserve called the Counting House. Don't know if the drinks are reasonably priced, as I don't drink, but they do allow group of people to reserve an area of the pub if needed.

Stu-Art UK is off-line
04 March 2012 16:11
stu_art
Photographer
stu_art
Dorset

I would be interested in coming along if it was on a Thursday, as I work up there during the week and miss the local events....

Woud be great to meet some new people :-)
"Capture what you see, see what you captured"

04 March 2012 16:16
Tansy_Blue
Model

If we can get a private room that would be super-awesome; make it easier for people to find us and we don't have to do that awkward "is that person looking for us? Should we talk to them?" thing.

I was actually thinking about a social the other day, I miss getting drunk on drinks that Bob buys me. :P
"The poetic, the scientific, the erotic - why should the imagination care which master it serves?" - Ian McEwan

Maddawg is off-line
04 March 2012 16:27
pmeswani
Photographer
pmeswani
London

Did Bob get a free shoot as a result?

04 March 2012 16:37
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from pmeswani
Did Bob get a free shoot as a result?

I buy Tansy drinks in the hope that she'll pay ME for a shoot.

I wouldn't book a pub for sole use as I've seen a fair few of these start off looking very promising only to end up on the day with just six or eight attendees.
Bob

04 March 2012 16:39
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from pmeswani
Does anyone know if Chandos do any vegeterian food?

Well they do chips. They're vegetables.
Bob

30 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
charlotte90 CIEGE_CJ Classy_cassie karenr kate_anne lindacanovamodel mandymack ouaou
2Twenty2 bbphotos Blancho ChrisD djb1 Edenbailey fotopro funky Gaudinio Jackalltog kaosrox mike0048 philippahh PhotoSpyroS Rhadamanthus rscott360 steveh32 Stevew1 thelook whitepython woofoo
matt