This thread is being watched by 2 people
Jodi Lou is off-line
26 February 2012 02:53
jodieF
Model
jodieF
Dorset
Weymouth/Travel UK Wide

My life has been turned upside down over the past few days because on Friday I was told that I had a suspected Melanoma. This is the most dangerous and uncommon type of skin cancer. I have been made an urgent appointment at the hospital tomorrow morning for it to be removed. When speaking with my GP on Friday, he said it was highly likely that it was caused by heavy UV radiation from the sun and also from tanning booths. I will admit that in the past few months I have been using tanning beds quite alot.

I can honestly say that the past couple of days have been the most scariest of my life. I cant think of anything else and I am petrified. So I just wanted to say to any models (or even photographers lol) who are using sunbeds to think twice. Photographers hate fake tan, we all know that, and that probably encourages models to use sunbeds instead. I know how convenient it can be, and sometimes even enjoyable, to just go under the lamps for 5 minutes and come out looking more tanned. But for me now Ive realised that they are just not worth it. Even with the small chance of it being benign (the doctors words, not mine), the wait to find out is agonizing.

Im not saying that we should start using fake tan instead - which is the safest option obviously - but Im saying that perhaps models should kind of embrace being pale and interesting for shoots, and if we really cant stand the untanned look surely something can be done in photoshop? I hate to sound like Im preaching and I was one of them people that thought 'oh it will never happen to me'. But I cant believe Im in this situation now, and if it can happen to me it can happen to anyone.

gerryquiff is off-lineSilver Member
26 February 2012 03:06
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Lanarkshire
Bonnie Scotland

Good luck at the hospital Jodie.
CAT WANTED. Must be large enough to make Davy Crockett hat. (6 7/8) Prefer ginger

26 February 2012 03:16
katiemae
Model

sorry to hear that Jodie. I hope everything can be reversed for you and you can go on and lead a healthy life. Best wishes x

Ed is off-line
26 February 2012 03:43
For_Arts_Sake
Photographer

Somerset

I'm really sorry to hear that, and I hope that you'll be OK. Your advice is sound - and personally, I like models with pale skin as it tends to suit my style of photography better.

Ed

HowardJ is off-line
26 February 2012 04:07
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

sorry to hear your news. I hope all goes well at the hospital. I'd take it easy as these doctors don't always know everything. I once got told I had cancer and had an emergency op done 2 days later. after 2 months of tests and worrying it turned out I didn't.

let us know how you get on at the doctor's.

Amy is off-line
26 February 2012 05:26
AmyBeloved
Model
AmyBeloved
County Durham
Durham

Good luck Jodie I hope everything turns out ok for you. lots of love xxx

26 February 2012 05:38
AtkinRJ
Photographer

We've not worked together or met......yet, but I have just read your post above.

You are in my thoughts and prayers that everything turns out ok for you. Keep positive and keep smiling.

Richard

Dominic Fisher is off-lineSilver Member
26 February 2012 06:32
Dom
Photographer
Dom
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

The very best of luck Jodie, hope all turns out well in the end.

Dom
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

jivago Photographic is off-line
26 February 2012 06:40
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Highland
Highlands & Cheshire

Good Luck - Stay strong!
http://www.jivagophoto.com/

26 February 2012 06:54
landmproductions
Photographer

Take a friend with you, as you will never remember everything thats told to you, it can be too much to take in, especially when your scared. Your sunbed advice is spot on, the damamge sunbeds can do is well known and documented.

Wishing you well
visit my website www.pandaphotography.co.uk

37 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
infinitelizzy JodieEllen MissCaraJane
ad360photo andygstudios Argentiq bbphotos BOBREEVES bradder chandos chicimages daseinphoto Dave@studio99 Daveinsurrey david1500 djb1 EdT Essexjohn GlasgowPhotographer Ianmcculloch James7799 JRFox Ladiesman liteangle magpie1 mamamiya markeos50d Matt1988 orca_photography panda49 redbaron skymouse Sp_digital stevegosh Steveharratt Thunder_Photos
matt