Amy Rose is off-lineSilver Member
09 February 2012 16:31
AmyC_01
Model
AmyC_01
West Yorkshire
Leeds

Hi Everyone,

This link is to help all models who are considering joining an agency...

It's legal advice from the diret gov...I found it very educating and quite a shock at how many 'Model Agencies' are breaking these rules.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Understandingyourworkstatus/Agencyworkersandemploymentagencies/DG_173262

XXX

nikonuser is off-lineSilver Member
09 February 2012 18:16
nikonuser
Photographer
nikonuser
Warwickshire
Rugby & Middlesbrough...I Commute!

Does that include the new AWR Agency workers regulations?
I do this for a hobby ~ i shoot for fun ~ i just enjoy photography! Happy to work with begginers & newbies, lets have a laugh and see what we can create.

Philip Hartley is off-line
10 February 2012 03:43
ph_oto
Photographer
ph_oto
South Yorkshire
Barnsley

I expect there will be "Model Agencies" who will plead that they just didn't know and in reality until more people start taking them to task they will keep getting away with flouting the laws. It's no different to anything else in that respect.
There are people who will always try "Getting away with it" for all manner of situations, e.g. despite all the equpiment like NPR cameras in police vehicles and all the data held by the DVLA, some will always try to drive around without Road Tax, MOT and insurance. Just as a very high number who still continue to talk on mobile phones whilst driving. The list would be endless really.
Say what you Mean and Mean what you Say

Skymouse is off-lineGold Member
10 February 2012 04:24
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

Quote from ph_oto
I expect there will be "Model Agencies" who will plead that they just didn't know and in reality until more people start taking them to task they will keep getting away with flouting the laws. It's no different to anything else in that respect

Agreed, and it remains an unacceptable excuse. There are quite strong and clear regulations regarding both employment agencies and employment businesses (with special variations relating to model agencies), and anyone who operates such a business without bothering about legal requirements is on a par with someone who takes under the counter cash payments because they "didn't realise" you have to declare income somewhere
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx.

10 February 2012 06:38
paulbatterbury
Photographer

This is good as I know some girls wait 3 months, sometimes more and what bugs me, is the agent uses the excuse that the hirer hasn't paid... I normally email the modles after a shoot to let them know I have paid.

Collecting pay from a hirer

If you have an agreement with your agency that they collect your pay from a hirer, the agency must pass your pay to you within ten days of receiving it. You can request to extend this time if you would prefer. Agencies that request or receive money on your behalf must set up separate client accounts to bank that money.
Kind Regards Paul http://www.paul-batterbury.com

Peter Roach is off-lineGold Member
10 February 2012 07:16
flashysnapper
Photographer
flashysnapper
Staffordshire
burton on trent

Quote from AmyC_01
Hi Everyone,

This link is to help all models who are considering joining an agency...

It's legal advice from the diret gov...I found it very educating and quite a shock at how many 'Model Agencies' are breaking these rules.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Understandingyourworkstatus/Agencyworkersandemploymentagencies/DG_173262

XXX

would it be possible for mods to include this link in top tips for models section?

Barney Douglas is off-line
10 February 2012 08:21
bdfoto
Photographer
bdfoto
West Sussex
Worthing

Quote from flashysnapper
would it be possible for mods to include this link in top tips for models section?

+1
"Simplicity in Photography for over 25 Years"

10 February 2012 08:40
AmyC_01
Model
AmyC_01
West Yorkshire
Leeds

When I first started applying to agencies I wish I had this type of information...

Some asked for a payment fee upfront and my manager advised me not to pay...as an agency (if being a photographic model or fashion) should take the payment fee from your first job...

I keep finding out from forums on other sites that many Agencies are still trying it on! Gets my back up because models will pay thinking this is the norm when really the agency is breaking the law! Also many agencies do not offer a 30 day cooling off period...

I'm so glad I found the direct gov link as it's official :-) x.

WebModerator is a moderator
10 February 2012 09:32
WebModerator
West Sussex
Brighton

Quote from flashysnapper

Good suggestion. We'll try and incorporate it shortly.

10 February 2012 10:23
AmyC_01
Model
AmyC_01
West Yorkshire
Leeds

That would be great thank you :-) x.

2 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
csk_photography Studio1