This thread is currently locked
Paul Hodson is off-line
03 February 2012 02:29
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

In any case a negative reference is now just a blue face making it more difficult for the recipient to threaten any sort of legal action - which was I think the main reason the system was changed. Whilst you could still get an angry response it is likely the face will stay on the profile and you can report any messages to the mods. It's clearly not perfect but still helpful to others.
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Fizzy is off-line
03 February 2012 03:14
fizzy
Model
fizzy
Tyne and Wear
Newcastle upon Tyne

Quote from SMILESPHOTO
A short one-line reference would usually speak volumes. If I read a model's reference saying 'She turned up and posed as required' it would certainly give me cause to contact the photographer for further elaboration. As Chrissie suggested, just because it might be awkward to leave negative comments, there's no need to leave a three paragraph glowing report!

I still think it's problematic to leave a positive reference with any kind of comment. In a sea of sixty or so more gushing references, a model who's checking isn't likely to even see it. Even short comments like the one you suggested are open to suggestion, some people are just brief and to the point, while 'She turned up and posed as required' may be an uncharacteristically poor reference to you, to others it might seem like extravagent praise.
Art nude model - £35ph

Fizzy is off-line
03 February 2012 03:15
fizzy
Model
fizzy
Tyne and Wear
Newcastle upon Tyne

Quote from mph
In any case a negative reference is now just a blue face making it more difficult for the recipient to threaten any sort of legal action - which was I think the main reason the system was changed. Whilst you could still get an angry response it is likely the face will stay on the profile and you can report any messages to the mods. It's clearly not perfect but still helpful to others.

Believe me, they threaten legal action at the drop of a hat.

Art nude model - £35ph

03 February 2012 04:05
Andrew43
Photographer

I always welcome and even positively suggest bringing a female chaperon (note the spelling, no "e" on the end). These are used to help the model put on the occasionally complex costumes needed for my project. On occasion they have acted as a "prop" to set the model in the correct position for a shot which simulates talking to another model who isn't there. They also help in the preparation of a lunch break. Otherwise, they sit in the model's changing room and read a book.

I do now draw the line at the male chaperon. In one early "glamour-style" shoot the model brought her father ! He apparently was the only one allowed to drive the family car. That shoot did not achieve all that it might. Nor did the others who brought husbands and boy-friends.

The ideal is mother (good for last minute sewing and costume adjustments) or an older sister. One mother thought the costume "wasn't sexy enough" and made interesting adjustments to a hem line and the cleavage.

Paul Hodson is off-line
03 February 2012 04:57
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from fizzy
Believe me, they threaten legal action at the drop of a hat.

But they wouldn't have a chance in hell of winning - and would not risk exposing themselves to ridicule if they did. The only grounds for legal action would be libel - and simply giving a blue face could not and would not be construed as such. You could justify a blue face by simply saying they were not someone you liked.

But believe me I do understand the reluctance to expose yourself to an unpleasant retaliation - I am not trying to suggest it is easy for models - or indeed probably photographers! Happily I have not had the photographers equivalent of inappropriate model behaviour (yet )
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Paul Hodson is off-line
03 February 2012 05:04
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from Andrew43
I always welcome and even positively suggest bringing a female chaperon (note the spelling, no "e" on the end).

I always welcome a pedant - despite the fact that the normal accepted spelling today is chaperone as attested by the preference for this in the Oxford Dictionary (regardless of its etymology).

Moi is off-line
03 February 2012 05:24
clearview_photography
Photographer
clearview_photography
County Durham
North East

Quote from Andrew43
 I do now draw the line at the male chaperon..

Surely as this refers to a male it should be chaperone (with an e) or have i missed something,

Quote from mph
I always welcome a pedant - despite the fact that the normal accepted spelling today is chaperone as attested by the preference for this in the Oxford Dictionary (regardless of its etymology).

Ah etymology - do you like to study insects then?
The most dangerous creation of any society is the man who has nothing to lose." - James Baldwin

Paul Hodson is off-line
03 February 2012 05:40
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from clearview_photography
Surely as this refers to a male it should be chaperone (with an e) or have i missed something.

Ah etymology - do you like to study insects then?

The etymology (sic - as opposed to entomology) is as follows:

1720, from Fr. chaperon "protector," especially "female companion to a young woman," earlier "head covering, hood" (c.1400), from O.Fr. chaperon "hood, cowl" (12c.),

English writers often spell it chaperone, apparently under the supposition that it requires a feminine termination (as most chaperon(e)s were feminine). Therefore if it were a male as you suggest the word would still not end in an "e"!

However, the most frequently accepted usage is now "chaperone" as can be seen from the Oxford dictionary where this spelling is given precedence.

03 February 2012 07:22
Andrew43
Photographer

My version of the Shorter Oxford Dictionary (in two volumes, dated 1980, page 314) only lists chaperon. I guess the OED has given up trying to fight this one.

I suppose we will also have to accept advisor (the American spelling) in place of adviser (the "correct" English spelling).

Paul Hodson is off-line
03 February 2012 08:00
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from Andrew43
My version of the Shorter Oxford Dictionary (in two volumes, dated 1980, page 314) only lists chaperon. I guess the OED has given up trying to fight this one. I suppose we will also have to accept advisor (the American spelling) in place of adviser (the "correct" English spelling).

cheeky

The online version now only has "chaperone" as a heading word (with chaperon as an alternaive). frown

30 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
infinitelizzy Michelledefeo1 Stephieb27 tim
digitizer diphoto DJ200 dorrian duncanjames gshocker30 HarishPadalia jackw keltica kinofist Ladiesman nemesis NigelAdams pcmphotography philippahh Robinsky Rupert skinz Snooper911 stevegosh Steveh32 Steveharratt sumupp totalpics vapourtrail Willjamieson
tim