Is it a good idea ... [ Chaperones, Yet Again]

This thread is being watched by 2 people
This thread is currently locked
02 February 2012 16:15
Bonno
Model

Quote from Socialdisaster
FIFTY ONE good recommendations. .

The guy Im talking about had about that too!!
Constant Discounted Rates :) Email for Info..

John McNairn is off-line
02 February 2012 16:17
Fox2006
Photographer
Fox2006
Tayside
Dundee

Chrissie pretty much nailed it there.

Erica Von Stein - jealousy does manky things to people.

02 February 2012 16:28
Bonno
Model

I agree, Chrissie did sum it up well.

I just think there are bad photographers and good one's, like their are good and bad chaperones.

I would be so embarrassed if I had a chaperone that stole and behaved badly. Whenever I have taken one in the past they have behaved brilliantly. Recently, Whilst doing home shoots, my boyfriend was sat there whilst I did adult, quite happily, understanding what I do and not having a problem with it. Even made cup of tea

I just don't feel everyone should be tarred with the same brush.

And this 'I have recommendations' stuff dosen't back anhything up anymore. The photographers that I mentioned in my first post all had from 50-70 references. And they turned out to be the dodgiest and worst experiences!

Constant Discounted Rates :) Email for Info..

Chrissie Red is off-line
02 February 2012 16:42
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from Bonno
 I just don't feel everyone should be tarred with the same brush. And this 'I have recommendations' stuff dosen't back anhything up anymore. The photographers that I mentioned in my first post all had from 50-70 references. And they turned out to be the dodgiest and worst experiences!

This is such a shame really I generally trust other models judgements when it comes to references so the fact 50-70 have had positive experiences really worries me. I think I'm lucky in a way, Scotland is a very small place in model/photography terms - if someone farts on a shoot the whole of the Scottish internet model industry knows about it before the end of the shoot. In a way thats a good thing - especially if you are reliable and not crap at what you do. If you are then the news spreads pretty quickly.

Like I said I have worked with people without references, more than a few times. Never had any issues, if people are considerate with their messages and come across well and I know where we will be shooting then I give them my trust. If that trust is ever shat on I think I would really fall apart but thankfully it never has and I don't think it ever will.

As I said before I have never had an issue with a photographer bringing along his wife/another photographer, I trust their judgement that the person is safe and good to be around so if i did want a chaperone for whatever reason I would hope that same level of trust is given back to me. Yes someone could steal your camera from around your neck - someone could run off with my handbag with my money/phone and all my clothes but the chances of that happening are slim.

I have heard some funny chaperone stories though -I remember one photographer telling me he was shooting a new model and her boyfriend came along to watch. My friend *the photographer* turned around and caught the boyfriend having a little play with himself. My friend didn't know where to look, the shoot w as taking place in his livingroom. How uncomfortable would you feel though if someone done that?  - models & photographers.

Rich G is off-line
02 February 2012 17:24
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
Kent

Surely the issue with chaperones is about common sense. Only a very naieve model would work with a complete stranger with no references in the back of beyond. Do your homework first.
I'm arranging a shoot with a new model at the moment. As she's new, she asked how I felt about chaperones. As she's local to me we've arranged to meet to chat about the sort of images we want to achieve and she's bringing her mum along. If she feels the need for a chaperone on the day and I feel she's good enough for me to warrant working under such conditions then fine. Likewise, if after meeting me and checking references she's happy to work without one then even better.

I think it's mainly an issue with 'TF' work. After all, if I'm paying someone then I expect to be able to have the say on what I want and the model decides whether or not to accept. On the other hand, if the model's paying me then they can bring whoever they want along to watch!
HAPPY TO WORK UP TO OPEN WALLET LEVELS

H photos is off-line
02 February 2012 18:27
designerhugh
Photographer

Hampshire

NO

Rich G is off-line
02 February 2012 18:59
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
Kent

Quote from designerhugh
NO

Elaborate a bit Hugh!!!! Are you suggesting there's a better way or are you suggesting there's little common sense around these days? (I'd agree with you there!)

alex crawford is off-lineSilver Member
02 February 2012 19:07
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford
Essex
Chelmsford

NO.

last chaparone that came along after being told "no chaparones" had to sit
outside in the car for a few hours. (titter)

when i've said no and they ignore that, that also rings alarms bells.

i happily lose 5%??? of the shoots i'd like to do due to no chaparone rules,
but its my choice, and i live with it.

i badly regret it in only one case. the model would have been 99% of
what i wanted for a particular shot. (shrugs) oh well !

Rich G is off-line
02 February 2012 19:17
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
Kent

posting
Quote from Bonno
  And this 'I have recommendations' stuff dosen't back anhything up anymore. The photographers that I mentioned in my first post all had from 50-70 references. And they turned out to be the dodgiest and worst experiences!

I find this worrying. Why the hell would someone leave a good reference for someone (model or tog) if they were 'dodgy'. Anyone doing this should be banned. I personally take great pride in some of the comments I receive and would be horrified to think that anyone I've worked with just gave a good reference on the assumption I'd return the favour. There might be one or two who view references like that but surely the majority tell it how it is - if not, what's the point of the system or indeed the point of Purestorm? The sort of person capable of false references is almost certainly capable of posting false details and images as well.

02 February 2012 19:47
Blacklion
Photographer

Well I can safely say I've never tried it on with any model. I like to be professional but at the same time friendly and make the model as comfortable as possible. I think all my recommendations say a lot about how I treat people and how I like to be treated which is why I find it odd that a model wants to bring her boy friend to one of my shoots. If she does not trust me or just doesn't feel comfortable going to a shoot on her own, then maybe she should think about taking up another career.

31 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
apriluk Damm08 Pinklilly ryansd speed84 Superhawk8 Teela
ALANOMNIA antonart Blancho BOBREEVES davejarvis diphoto ElegantCaptures geronimo GerryS2 gwentman James7799 johnmphoto MIB modelboutique NeilScott philippahh PhilStorm photomart siwalters steveh32 Thunder_Photos Vapourtrail wacTony
harbourstudio