This thread is currently locked
JJ is off-line
02 February 2012 08:49
JJ_Photography
Photographer
JJ_Photography
Nottinghamshire
Newark On Trent

Just my 2p worth, I don't mind them bring a chaperone just as long they don't get in the way. I had a few in my time and they all been great most if not all have helped in one way or another. If it gets me the image i'm after then I don't mind. I had 2 models that there partners where togs themself and I have to say I learn't alot from those togs and I will always be in debt with them.

But back to the subject at the end of the day the choice is yours. Plenty more models out there that could be as good or better.

JJ

Chrissie Red is off-line
02 February 2012 09:35
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

I don't get what the big deal is about "chaperones". There are some cases in which I do think it wise to take one on the basis of safety but there are always alternatives.

For example - new photographer joins up, having no experience working with a model. He has to start somewhere but if nobody gives him the chance to prove he is trustworthy then he wont do very well. He can either book the shoot in a studio so the model knows the studio owner is next door if anything untoward happens during the shoot, if he wants a location shoot however unless I know the area well I would ask for a chaperone or I would give him a list of photographers I've worked with who might be interested in splitting the shoot between them both - for safety reasons. I have went out with people who have no references - alone but that is based on the fact they would have been happy to have a chaperone if I wanted one. Of course that could be a bluff but people who are genuinely wanting to prove themselves and get a good reputation to start with are happier to come and go a little to ensure a happy and comfortable model. If someone came to me having never shot a model and told me he was against chaperones/Didn't want a second shooter and picked the location but was unwilling to tell me where it is prior to the shoot then I would be unweary and not take on the booking.

I have never taken a chaperone on a shoot for safety reasons but I can see the need in certain circumstances *the above*. Either I've been very lucky with the new photographers I've worked with or I have a bloody good judgement when it comes to peoples motivations. Who knows? I'm not against people tagging along to shoots but not on the basis of safety. My partner has been on shoots with me, I don't think I've ever asked anyone if he can come - I've never just showed up with him either generally the people who I've worked with have asked if he wants to come along. If he is not busy then he will, there are some photographers i've worked with a handful of times who actually enjoy having my partner on the shoot - he makes a fantastic cup of tea, doesn't get in the way, can act as a look out, has driven the photographer and I to locations and he carries my stuff for me. Yes some chaperones are have stole from photographers, I get that happens however does anyone think a serious model would risk her reputation by brining along an unsavoury character to the shoot? I know if I ever had a boyfriend who was guilty of stealing from a photographer I would be utterly mortified to the point I would pay for whatever he had stolen and would dump the Chrissie_Red is a naughty person er. Modelling is not a play thing for me, its serious and anyone who gets in between me and my passion would be gone in an instant.

My partner does photography too, he has helped photographers I've worked with set up lights which was appreciated. He has even set up lights before he has left for work and left a note of camera settings for the person coming to shoot me. When my partner shoots models he always invites them to bring someone else along, generally I'm around helping out however I do try to leave Rory (my partner) with the model alone so they can build up a bit of a rapport together. To me the word chaperone has the worst connotation around - some photographers automatically think the model doesn't trust them/ that they will steal or get in the way. This is basically a bad reason for a chaperone and a bad chaperone FULL stop. None of the partners/friends a model has taken along to a shoot with my partner have been interfering or anything but wonderful. Our shoots tend to be very laid back with lots of tea breaks and chats so it helps to have another person along. We even get them to be part of the shoot "throwing balloons at the model out of shot or other random things". Back when I met my partner he didn't do photography, he was always supportive and understanding but having him at a shoot and then himself shooting Ivory Flame really helped him understand the process and the way I work with photographers.

So many times in the past I have heard photographers talk about work colleagues reactions to them shooting nudes - usually its "oh aye wink wink* type school boy comments, this is from people who do not understand photography but know you and presume you are shooting nudes for other reasons - you know you act professionally, the model does but does her boyfriend understand this weird and wonderful world of naked females with middle aged men with cameras? possibly not, until they see the process they wont understand it.

I remember my partner being so nervous before shooting Holly, he was scared he would do a bad job. After the shoot he said to me it was an amazing yet scary experience, but that doing the shoot made him realise that when people are shooting me they are not looking at my body but they are concentrating so hard on getting a good picture that the nudity really is not as apparent as he thought it would be.

So a round up of my half an hour random writing - I have never felt the need for one on a safety level but can understand in certain circumstances why one might feel the need for one/ I have never asked to bring one / I see them as a positive thing as it helps the partner understand the process better leading to a much easier personal life for the model..

If someone demands a chaperone on every shoot then I imagine the only person they are harming is themselves, if photographers point blank refuse then that is totally up to them.

I don't really care either way, I'm happy if someone is carrying my bags, I've had photographers wifes come along to shoots with me and its never bothered me at all - they could have run away with my bags they were left holding but they didn't.

xx

Chrissie Red is off-line
02 February 2012 09:35
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Chrissie_Red is a naughty person that was a much bigger post on the subject than I thought it was.. lol

gerryquiff is off-lineSilver Member
02 February 2012 10:25
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Lanarkshire
Bonnie Scotland

Quote from TeddyB
Yes, Gerry is correct. This here thread, Mr. OP, expect it to get locked down, any time soon. The Mods are sick to death with chaperone threads. Try a search first, through the forum search option, there are already dozens of them.

Morning Gerry! Was it 'minus something' outside, up there this morning? Ted

VERY COLD. The local flasher was hanging around describing himself. 
CAT WANTED. Must be large enough to make Davy Crockett hat. (6 7/8) Prefer ginger

02 February 2012 11:15
TMG
Photographer

Is it a good idea? No. You're already putting in the lion's share of the work on a trade shoot - unless you are just going to dump the files on disc and hand them over post shoot - so why burden yourself with extra potential hassle? Her b/f might the nicest, most easy going guy on the planet, or he might be coming because he hates the idea of strange men looking at his girlfriend and wants to keep an eye on things, in which case you'll be shooting under guard. You've got no way of knowing.

Neil Anderson is off-line
02 February 2012 11:25
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Why not just do the shoot with the boyfriend then you might have some horror stories to share with us on the next chaperone thread.

It's quite straightforward you add up the pros of the shoot (like you really want to work with her) and the negatives (such as boyfriend) and either arrange the shoot or move on.
Realistically the worst that can happen is that you'll feel the shoot a waste of time, but chances are you'll at least get some practice in a new situation.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Philip Hartley is off-line
02 February 2012 12:17
ph_oto
Photographer
ph_oto
South Yorkshire
Barnsley

Read my profile for my views.
Say what you Mean and Mean what you Say

ICONIC :P is off-line
02 February 2012 13:08
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
Lincolnshire
Grimsby

i dont like chaperones nice or otherwise because i feel unconfortable having someone watching me and also i feel that alot of the time the models are self concious having someone watching them and get shy / nervous - boyfriends or husbands chaperoning always makes me feel like he is being forcefull and over protective and controlling :S
pissing purestorm off since 2009

Orson Carter is off-line
02 February 2012 13:22
orsoncarter
Photographer
orsoncarter
Somerset
near Frome

I'm going to get on my hobby horse again... If anyone - photographers or models - has a policy about chaperones, it would make sense to state it in your profile notes. That way, when a shoot is being arranged both parties know the score.

So if, for example, a photographer has a 'no chaperone' policy, if a model turns up anounced with a chaperone the photographer is entitled to say 'you should have read my profile notes, so please go away'. Alternatively, if a model states in her notes that she will always have a chaperone, a photographer has no grounds for grumbling when she turns up accompanied for the shoot.
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck

Ian MACFADYEN is off-lineSilver Member
02 February 2012 15:04
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
Surrey
GUILDFORD

In the past I've had girlfriends, fathers and mothers come along with my models. Mum's can be really helpful. Husbands have been OK, but boyfriends have had a negative effect, nothing major but they've just left me thinking they were a pain. So on my profile I've said I don't mind a model bring a chaperone, it can be their friend, granny or the assistant from Sainsbury's, - but NOT a boyfriend. Knowing in advance, because she's told you, you have the choice as to what to do next, (it's not so easy if they turn up with one unannounced). Or, why don't you take a mate along to the shoot with you!

5 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
mandymack
bergstrom grahamsphotography rscott360 talldave68