This thread is currently locked
Mike Riot is off-line
02 February 2012 08:48
MikeRiot
Photographer
MikeRiot
Cambridgeshire
Peterborough

After one bad experience, I will never work with someone who insists on a chaperone.
Does the model's saftey count for me? Yes! Does my feedback reflect that I am safe to work with? Yes!

Should I need to bring a chaperone in case these people want to mug me and steal all my gear? No!
Do I bring a chaperone to my day job in case one of the females touches me up? No!

Having them there makes everything more awkward for everyone. Dads, Boyfriends, Family members etc are all problematic. The one that is the least problem is a female friend. But again, it all depends on the female etc.

Its not worth the hassle for me and wasting my time on a shoot where everyone isnt conmfortable with whats going on.

So in short, no! lol
"Mike - The riot even the Kaiser Chiefs didnt predict" - clearview_photography

02 February 2012 08:51
Blacklion
Photographer

I realise this has been discussed before. I have seen the threads in the past. The thing is this is the first time I've been asked. Initially, the model said she was bringing her model friend but then said her friend is busy. The model I'm shooting is 19 and hasn't had much experience in modelling. It's possible her boyfriend is also as young as she is, so they might not be mature about these matters don't you think? She intends for her boyfriend to be in the room while we shoot and to be honest I would think it rather rude to ask him to go elsewhere. And like you say Socialdisaster - wicked name! - I have 51 positive feedback and one day or another, the model really has to start thinking about attending shoots on her own.

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
02 February 2012 09:02
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

How badly do you need to photograph this beginner?

I don't do chaperones for over 18s;
I won't shoot an under 18 without a parent present (and only a parent).

However, if they want to pay me (well) for my time, then they can bring their complete family for all I care.
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

02 February 2012 09:06
kjoleweb
Photographer

Quote from blacklion246
I realise this has been discussed before. I have seen the threads in the past. The thing is this is the first time I've been asked. Initially, the model said she was bringing her model friend but then said her friend is busy. The model I'm shooting is 19 and hasn't had much experience in modelling. It's possible her boyfriend is also as young as she is, so they might not be mature about these matters don't you think? She intends for her boyfriend to be in the room while we shoot and to be honest I would think it rather rude to ask him to go elsewhere. And like you say Socialdisaster - wicked name! - I have 51 positive feedback and one day or another, the model really has to start thinking about attending shoots on her own.

I'd pass. If she wants to model, I think she should invest the time to check up on a few references and leave the boyfriend at home. I don't think that's too much to ask.

J.

G Jack B is off-line
02 February 2012 09:12
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

Quote from kjoleweb
 During the shoot I communicate a lot, and I compliment, cheer on and flirt with the model to make her feel comfortable and to produce different expressions. .

Maybe why some models feel the need to  bring chaperones?

Had a shoot recently and the model turned up with her grandma!  She sat at the back of the studio and gave some good feedback,  then suggested it would be ok for the model to "show a bit more" - slightly surreal but a fun shoot!

Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

02 February 2012 09:18
kjoleweb
Photographer

Quote from Plymjack

You are taking this out of context, so ofcourse it looks bad then..

Quote from Plymjack
Had a shoot recently and the model turned up with her grandma!  She sat at the back of the studio and gave some good feedback,  then suggested it would be ok for the model to "show a bit more" - slightly surreal but a fun shoot!

I would not count this as being the norm... And yes, as a tog I guess that was pretty surreal..

J.

02 February 2012 09:19
Blacklion
Photographer

Quote from Plymjack

To be honest I would rather her grandma came. I'm not that desperate to shoot her. The experience is always good but it's more for her profile than mine. Verdict - NO! Thanks all for your input!

Matt Harper is off-line
02 February 2012 09:27
mattharper
Photographer
mattharper
Devon
Paignton

Chaperones, chaperones, chaperones!
How the hell are we supposed to get a shag if the boyfriend comes along?
Another girl fine, possibility of a threesome.
Now that should get this locked.

Ok, obviously not serious. The funny thing is, from my experience, and I don't like chaperones at all, boyfriends actually tend to be less bother than female friends. Girls just giggle and talk, boyfriends are often a little intimidated by the whole shoot thing. I have had one or two that have frowned at their model girlfriend but at least you don't get the giggling etc. In fact, a couple have been good at helping the model with confidence and for location shoots, they carry the heaviest bag.

02 February 2012 09:37
TeddyB
Photographer

Quote from mattharper
Chaperones, chaperones, chaperones!
How the hell are we supposed to get a shag if the boyfriend comes along?
Another girl fine, possibility of a threesome.
Now that should get this locked.

IBTL

You know what's there. Waiting. Beyond that beach. Immortality! Take it! It's yours!

02 February 2012 09:39
1919_Images
Photographer

No.

41 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
abbie_walters Batch bex_24 Jessicaliu1993 kinkykaycee Krystald md2017 missminiskirt Teela
android_man angelicmodels antoinewynn chriscooze cliffc colinpierce Daddylonglense daveyboy12 diphoto Don_Dark donaldmac Forest glamorphotos Hioctane James7799 jeffers JohnDentonPhoto Jse_photography LGI malcie mattybox mghphoto mrdl Platidonio rscott360 sinimiphotography siwalters steevrosewood stevegosh steveh32 Thunder_Photos viewphotographic