Rachel Taylor is off-line
02 January 2012 12:10
Rachel_T
Model
Rachel_T
London
London

Hey guys,

I broke my arm just before Xmas & was just wondering if anyone (models especially) could tell me how long it was before they could work again. I am more concerned about range of movement in terms of posing etc.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks
Rachel

Stu Buckland is off-line
02 January 2012 12:42
thestarglider
Photographer
thestarglider
Kent
Maidstone

Typically a clean break will be repaired in about 6 weeks. However range of movement (depending on the type of break and where) could result in restricted movement ability from anywhere between a few weeks to a few months afterwards. It is because of this that it's vitally important to do physiotherapy exercises with the arm after the break to get back full motion again as soon as possible.

Also is the arm in a cast? If so, then you have to also take into account skin fading that will take a little time to even up with the rest of you.

BladeRunner is off-line
02 January 2012 13:00
Steve_Stanford
Photographer
Steve_Stanford
Cheshire
Warrington

Put it to your advantage.   Linky

Ian Payne is off-line
02 January 2012 13:07
extra_mayo
Photographer
extra_mayo
Kent
Gillingham

Still make yourself available for work.

There's probably a fetish for it.

Ian

Rachel Taylor is off-line
02 January 2012 13:19
Rachel_T
Model
Rachel_T
London
London

Thank you for the replies .

It's not in a cast but it's been internally fixed on my humerus bone so you can probably imagine my range of motion is poor at the moment.

It's been 3 weeks now so I'd like to start thinking about work again ASAP. Obviously my doctor will give me a guideline but he's not a model!

Rachel x

P.S. It's interesting what can be classed as a fetish nowadays!

02 January 2012 14:20
rattusratus
Model

i have only ever broke 2 bones

1 was my elbow (i snapped a little bit off) i continued modelling and no one new i just wore a support when not shooting (i actually didnt find out it was broken until a year later)

1 was my foot (snapped clean through the center of the bone) this was before modelling however i was in a cast for 6 months and on crutches for another 6 after that and for 7 months my ankle was swollen to the size of my head... had i been modelling i dont think i could of modelled

so i suppose it all depends on the break and area, if it dosnt look bad and dosnt cause much problem then carry on modelling but dont rush things as you could have a set back
300 men have died in lincoln county in the last 3 years...... but what you must remember is i did not shoot them all

02 January 2012 19:19
Lisaliz
Model

I broke my arm skiing a few years ago. Once it had joined up again (2 weeks as it was a clean break), I was told to move it as much as possible and do specific exercises to get mobility back as quickly as possible. This turned out to be excelllent advice and I soon got back to normal.

Get your doctor's advice obviously as to when the bone has set. As far as the modelling is concerned, only you can decide  whether you will give good value to the photographer. Good luck and hope you will soon be 100% again.

Shadowtime74 is off-lineSilver Member
12 February 2012 10:59
Shadowtime74
Photographer
Shadowtime74
London

A broken arm can take anything up to 6 months to heal. But usually about 6 weeks. It all depends on the type of break, a hairline fracture, clean break, a double fracture and so on. If you have any metal work put in it can also complicate it too

If you were not wearing a cast was it in a sling? also wait until you have had X-rays showing that it has healed. You have to be careful.

I am medically trained and I see fractures all the time. PM me if you need any help as I can also help with Range of Movement

www.lsportsm.co.uk

12 February 2012 12:23
Tansy_Blue
Model

This is one of those things you really really need to talk to your doctor about, healing time can depend on a whole range of things and a bunch of people on t'internet with no medical knowledge who've never met you won't give you the best advice. I'd just let your doctor know that you model and that can involve bending in funny ways, and ask him/her how long it'll take until you're ready for that.
"The poetic, the scientific, the erotic - why should the imagination care which master it serves?" - Ian McEwan

5 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
pinklilly
chandos FirstLifePhotography Nunude steveh32