So I am uploading images to Purestorm and they are desaturating them 

for example

top image was the Purestorm uplaod and my current port Display image 

and the one below is the image I uploaded to my tumblr account 

Try Harder - Failure is not an option

13 December 2011 19:01
mgphotomedia
Photographer

The first one is desaturating because the embedded colour profile is AdobeRGB. You need to convert the colour profile to sRGB before uploading it.

The other one has been converted to sRGB.

13 December 2011 19:03
RussFreeman
Photographer

Maybe the site is stripping colour space. I Know some sites will strip it IF the image needs to be resized so perhaps PS is doing the same. Maybe try uploading the image to PS again but this time size it within the recommended bounds.
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the people to gather wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.

GR Photography is off-line
14 December 2011 05:28
GRPhotography
Photographer
GRPhotography
Berkshire

Quote from RussFreeman
Maybe the site is stripping colour space. I Know some sites will strip it IF the image needs to be resized so perhaps PS is doing the same. Maybe try uploading the image to PS again but this time size it within the recommended bounds.

Russ I resize all my web images 720 longest edge cause thats what facebook used to accept as the largest before resizing.

PS is 760 so it wont resize

14 December 2011 05:43
GRPhotography
Photographer
GRPhotography
Berkshire

Quote from mgphotomedia
The first one is desaturating because the embedded colour profile is AdobeRGB. You need to convert the colour profile to sRGB before uploading it.

The other one has been converted to sRGB.

Actually have just checked this and the exported image says unclaibrated

it started off as sRGB

I will have to see what CS5 is doing once I save the image to JPEG from the .PSD

thanks guys

14 December 2011 06:07
mgphotomedia
Photographer

Quote from GRPhotography
Actually have just checked this and the exported image says unclaibrated

it started off as sRGB

I will have to see what CS5 is doing once I save the image to JPEG from the .PSD

thanks guys

The embedded profile IS AdobeRGB and that's DEFINITELY what's causing the desat. NOTHING to do with Purestorm, image resizing or profile stripping, EVERYTHING to do with how various browsers that aren't colour managed render images that don't have an sRGB colour profile.

If you configure your Photoshop colour management policies as per this link you'll get a much clearer view of what's going on:

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/photoshop-color-settings.html

Just remember to convert (edit/convert profile) from your working AdobeRGB(1998 ) colour profile to sRGB before outputting any jpgs for display on the web. Or just include this step in an action that outputs jpgs.

Or, if you wanted, you could just set sRGB as your working profile and let Photoshop convert the colour profile (if it needs to) when it opens the image for editing. That way you won't need to convert when you output your jpg. That's fine if all you ever do is display your images on the web, but if you print them you're probably better off working (and archiving) in AdobeRGB.

14 December 2011 06:19
GRPhotography
Photographer
GRPhotography
Berkshire

Quote from mgphotomedia
The embedded profile IS AdobeRGB and that's DEFINITELY what's causing the desat. NOTHING to do with Purestorm, image resizing or profile stripping, EVERYTHING to do with how various browsers that aren't colour managed render images that don't have an sRGB colour profile.

If you configure your Photoshop colour management policies as per this link you'll get a much clearer view of what's going on:

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/photoshop-color-settings.html

Just remember to convert (edit/convert profile) from your working AdobeRGB(1998 ) colour profile to sRGB before outputting any jpgs for display on the web. Or just include this step in an action that outputs jpgs.

Or, if you wanted, you could just set sRGB as your working profile and let Photoshop convert the colour profile (if it needs to) when it opens the image for editing. That way you won't need to convert when you output your jpg. That's fine if all you ever do is display your images on the web, but if you print them you're probably better off working (and archiving) in AdobeRGB.

I have checked the exported image and not the image that is uploaded to here ... the images says it is defo uncalibrated..

so whether uncalibrated is AdobeRGB I don't know 

I have never had this problem before .... but now you mention browsers I recently changed from using firefox to chrome 

so maybe its like you say the way chrome reads the colours.

thanks for sheding some like :-) 

14 December 2011 06:32
mgphotomedia
Photographer

Quote from GRPhotography

I have never had this problem before .... but now you mention browsers I recently changed from using firefox to chrome 

so maybe its like you say the way chrome reads the colours.

Take a look here and you'll see that Chrome isn't colour managed and also how marked the difference can be if the image's colour profile isn't sRGB:

http://mansurovs.com/is-your-browser-color-managed

It would be great if everyone used colour managed browsers but the majority of people don't.

Currently the only way to ensure that everyone sees your image the way you intended it is to convert it to sRGB.

14 December 2011 17:47
GRPhotography
Photographer
GRPhotography
Berkshire

Odd I just checked and the colour management is set to RGB

wierd

11 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Livespirit pinklilly Winterlilly
AaronKent guitarman john_at_tina_spice MauricesImagery mlp panda49 Reynard Rhadamanthus