Reminder Secure

Paid Shoots For MUA's

Dani McCarthy is off-line
09 November 2011 15:42
Finishingtouches
Make-up Artist

Kent
Folkestone

Hi there all, i am relativley new to purestorm as a MUA. But if there is one thing i have noticed through looking at casting calls and forum posts is that hardly any one offers paid casting calls for MUA's.

I have recently been doing a couple of shoots where i have done TFP/CD and had a few people message me about doing TFP shoots but the photographer then tells me where they are, which turns out to be like a 150 mile round trip away from me but when i mention about the distance to get at least some fuel cost covered and that i am going to be using very expensive makeup and my time for a few photos (Usually via e-mail) a few photographers get fairly rude with me.

Please don't get me wrong i don't mind occasianlly doing TFP (But i always state close to my location) but am i the only MUA that gets this?

I don't want or mean to come arcoss rude and arrogant becuase this is not how i mean to be lol it's just a question for people, am i wrong for being a bit confused as to why people will pay through the nose for models but not even the travel costs for MUA's offering their time and products for TFP?

Thank you for reading

Dani x

Fisherface is off-line
09 November 2011 17:26
Fisherface
Make-up Artist
Fisherface
Suffolk
Lowestoft

Get used to it!  It's been like this for ages on here, and some other sites, and I can't see it changing any time soon!

Most hobbyists make an allowance for their photography and models but it seems they don't have any left for the MUA's.  :-(

The best requests are from girls who want their make up done for a night out for TF.  I think you're expected to take the pics on your mobile phone! 

Don't be put off completely though as there are still some people here who value MUA's and are willing to pay.

09 November 2011 17:39
PUNKuate
Photographer

There is even less paid work for photographers. Just say no if you don't want to do it.
My name is "Lynn" or you can call me "Lynnie". Do NOT spell my name "Lynne" or I will smack you.

Karen Hegarty is off-line
10 November 2011 14:02
simplydivine
Make-up Artist
simplydivine
Cheshire

Hi finishing touches yes that's about the size of it, but there are the odd few paid opportunities, not many but you just have to wait for them to come up, build up relationships with photographers and models to establish good working opportunities. Try not to get too disheartened it is the way things have gone over the years, the industry is flooded with wannabes and it has made it hard for established professionals and new people committed to working hard as an MUA.
Good luck with it all

10 November 2011 14:45
Finishingtouches
Make-up Artist

Kent
Folkestone

Thankyou Ladies and Gent, Just though i would see lol i know i can say no PUNKuate which is what i end up doing when people take the mick, and appreciate it can be the same in some cases with photographers. As both aspects in photography and MUA's i don't think sometimes it is appreciated as to how much equipment/products cost lol!

Thankyou all again x

Sammyj is off-line
14 February 2012 13:39
lashestolockes
Make-up Artist
lashestolockes
Kent
Thanet

Welcome to the world of Make up on pure storm honey XXX
Samantha XXX Lashes to Lockes XXX

Claire Shipman is off-line
19 February 2012 14:38
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Try not to feel too disheartened, there are plenty of photographers here who value MUA's. You are judged however if you openly do TFCD work it doesnt take long for word to get around that your a freebie artist so the best advice I can give is keep your tests as quiet as possible and ignore silly requests for TFCD on here and just search for paid work if thats what your looking for.

19 February 2012 14:57
kjoleweb
Photographer

I'll just state my point of wiew, not that anyone has to agree...

When I want to hire someone, be it stylist, model or any person really, I want to know what I pay for. Especially when it comes to stylists and MUA's this is important. Let's say that I hire a studio for half a day, a model for half a day and pay the travel expenses. If either the stylist or MUA sucks, that could ruin the shoot. I totally underestand that premium quality makeup costs alot of money, and you guys should really get paid for your services. It's just that some MUA's have really limited portfolios. (May not be the case with you as I did not check.) It could help to actually do some TFP and get good unretouched photos for your port. And to show off more than one face.

Just a thought.

J.

19 February 2012 15:57
Finishingtouches
Make-up Artist

Kent
Folkestone

I did have a bigger portfolio however my account got downgraded by purestorm and even though countless times I have messages em nothing seems to be getting sort so now I don't see the point in putting my money into something if they can't sort it. I always state in my messages that I am more than happy to provide more pictures of my work if they wish as understandably you want to see pictures of someone's work especially if your paying good money. So I completely understand where your coming from

19 February 2012 16:55
kjoleweb
Photographer

Your port actually has some pictures! I have seen mua's asking for payment (and not even modest payment) that has only 2 pictures in their port... But I see your point regarding PS... Shame on them!

12 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Bigjams jessicaliu1993 LauraSt missminiskirt
ElegantCaptures frankpht Gingers grahamsphotography michaelangelo rscott360 Steveh32 Thomsk