Laurence Power is off-line
02 December 2011 14:37
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPower
Surrey
Esher

Quote from Alister
You really do have an obsession with that. Can't you just be happy for peoples successes whether they're paid or not? Plenty of people on here that are not motivated by money. And for the OP that is fantastic news, especially to get the lead and cover too, many congratulations

Let me just quote a small extract from the latest BJP newsletter. The article is by Barry Beattie a former Fleet Street photographer

"Gaining a foothold on the ladder of today's overcrowded profession is more difficult than ever, partly because many markets that used to provide an entry point for the freelance no longer exist. Meanwhile, some that remain seem to regard actually getting paid for your efforts as something of a leftover from old technology times. From the local newspaper to nationanl television, all have become used to a regular flow of free material from "wanabies" who doubtless think that getting their picture in the local paper or "on the telly" gives them some kind of kudos. they should perhaps reflect upon the fact thhat the main reason for their picture being used was because it was supplied free of charge."

He goes on the suggest that all submission should be made with a note regarding payment terms and syndication rights.

It is not just me banging on about fees, but there are guys and girls going broke because of this. My congratulations  to Jo Louise are real, her work was chosen despite there being a charge, therefore she and the photographer should be really pleased.

Laurence J. Power

Jo-Louise is off-line
06 December 2011 06:06
Jo_Louise
Model
Jo_Louise
Dorset
Bournemouth

Again thanks very much people i just wanted to add this was a paid feature and me and the Photographer were paid for this and the model release stated the images were only to be used in Maxim Espanol and no where else.. i have been offered free features in the past for other magazines and i have turned them down because the way i see it, I'm a Professional, i should be paid for my work, if i work with a Photographer and someone likes the work then why should they have it for free...

I don't want to get into debates or arguments on here but it is true, people that give away images for free are killing the industry, that is why magazines rely so much on girls sending in their free pics now, because they know plenty will, and although i know its nice to be published, it's not the be all and end all, it's a much nicer achievement when youv'e been published and know youv'e been paid for it.

Don't work for free girls x

Ps.. my maxim tearsheets up on my profile now x
''Never let your failures get to your heart, & never let your success get to your head''

Laurence Power is off-line
06 December 2011 12:56
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPower
Surrey
Esher

The tear sheets look great.

Since the release only gave rights in Spain, I assume that you and the photographer will be syndicating them yourselves to maximise the return
Laurence J. Power

Mono Foto is off-lineSilver Member
08 December 2011 06:31
MonochromeSet
Photographer
MonochromeSet
Suffolk
Ipswich

Congrats, Jo-Louise :-)

Very well-deserved!

20 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
BlueLah bonni_cuffs ElleLaura Satrina
bbphotos BOBREEVES clearview_photography david1500 dby47 eosfan hylander James7799 jpegster keltica peteb Photojames43 Reynard Rhadamanthus steveh32 swalsh58