Laura McIntyre (née Ford) is off-line
03 November 2011 16:50
Purple_Girl
Photographer
Purple_Girl
Lothian
West Lothian and Edinburgh

Quote from Secondskin
Seems so Divine!! Alas not many who are dedicated ENOUGH to pay the costs? Which surprises me if they are as passionate as they say?

People who are dead broke can be just as passionate as anyone else, they just don't have the means to fuel their dreams. I would dearly, dearly love to pursue make-up artistry seriously but it's just not possible financially, believe me when I say I've exhausted the possibilities to try and take it somewhere. It doesn't mean that I (or anyone else in a similar financial situation) am not dedicated to the idea. What a statement....

A dry sponge is a happy sponge.

03 November 2011 17:17
PUNKuate
Photographer

Laura, can't you find a full-time course and get SAAS to fund it? I already checked that and they would fund that for me, and am considering doing it next year.
My name is "Lynn" or you can call me "Lynnie". Do NOT spell my name "Lynne" or I will smack you.

03 November 2011 17:27
Purple_Girl
Photographer
Purple_Girl
Lothian

Because John and I live together and he has a job, I'm positive I read that I'd not be entitled to SAAS funding or any other equivalent, even though I'm not working. I could be mistaken but I'm positive that's what I was told. I don't think I can accept a bursary as I believe it would screw us up money-wise, without going into too much personal detail. Might need to start researching from scratch to see if I missed anything.

03 November 2011 17:59
gwenstar
Model

I agree, just because some might not have as much money as others, I don't see why they can't be passionate about something.
In my first post I say that I'm not willing to waste money on a course where I won't get a recognised qualification, which is inderstandable. The purpose of this post was to ask for advice and feedback from people who have done courses and received their recognized certificates, regardless of the price.
I'm wanting to do it properly. I joined a nail course today after going my research, costing me £500. I'm in it for the long haul.

Thanks for everyones comments
Lets keep it friendly people
xx

03 November 2011 20:37
Purple_Girl
Photographer
Purple_Girl
Lothian

Hope the nail course goes well for you Elle, best of luck with it!

Karen Hegarty is off-line
05 November 2011 04:53
simplydivine
Make-up Artist
simplydivine
Cheshire

The posts have been friendly, and constructive and realistic,in saying that it costs A LOT of money to qualify and invest in you business, my start up kit was around £3000 and over the years I have obviously had to replace items, and expand my kit and training, spending hundreds and thousands, on products, equipment and courses. And of course there is insurance costs, and travel expenses etc.

Unfortunately it is a business that is led by money, and if you can't afford it then you either make sacrifies, which is what the other girls( and myself) are saying, it is not a deflamatory comment on anyone just the way it is, I spent the first 3/4 years not making a penny, and any I did I invested back into my business.

It's just that a lot of girls on here, ex models, photographers etc seem to think its really easy being an MUA,and getting paid work , it's not, it takes a lot of hard work, dedication and passion beyond belief, otherwise we wouldn't do it. That's not saying it isn't worth it in the long run, I love seeing the results of my work and the difference it makes to an image or video etc.

In Second Skin's defense she was saying "not a lot of people" are willing to pay the costs and and put the work in, she didn't say any of you weren't,as we don't know what your intentions are, but we receive messages all the time asking for easy ways into the business or cheap courses to be an MUA, thinking they can do a weekend course and hey presto they are an MUA! It gets tiresome reading all the time how someone wants to be an MUA without realising the hard work and money it takes.

There are a lot of courses out there you just need to do your reasearch, look at the qualifications they provide, and decide what you can afford or save for. There are no short cuts I'm afraid. That's all that is being said here by very experienced MUA's and myself, giving you an in sight as to what you are in store for, not being nasty just realistic.

Oh and you need to develop a very thick skin, you should see the emails we have to deal with, and when you become an MUA you can come back to this thread and see how your opinions have changed. LOL

05 November 2011 05:43
gwenstar
Model

"Seems so Divine!! Alas not many who are dedicated ENOUGH to pay the costs? Which surprises me if they are as passionate as they say?" - this comment was directed at people who had previously commented, which I think struck a nerve with some.

Anywaaay...

I'm pretty aware that success doesn't come from nothing. I've worked my arse off as a model to get where I am today, and still not getting much paid work. It's unfair to say that people are just after a quick fix and are looking for short cuts. As I said 'I'm taking the plunge' and throwing myself into it. I'm fully aware of the hard work/money that will go into this. And realise it's going to take time to get where I want to be. But I value do your feedback Karen!

I am doing my research, have been for a while. Found exactly what I want from a nail course, signed up to a few make up courses, day, weekends and long term courses, all giving me the qualifications I will need to move forward with this. Some don't start until late next year but I'm willing to wait for the right course and do it properly.

Thanks for everyones feedback, some more helpful than others.
For the others wanting to also be MUAs, keep in touch, will be nice to hear everyones progress and good luck with it all ))

Jesamine Diamond is off-line
29 November 2011 16:52
fuchsia
Model

Surrey
Horley

I decided a few months ago to start training as a MUA, because modelling has shown me some of the amazing things you can do with make-up! Fortunately my parents agreed to pay for a course, and I'm doing the BTEC Make-up course from the ICS - although this means you don't get direct teaching, they give you a lot of information and support and it was £500 which is relatively cheap it would seem.

But if you're really broke, at least you can get a lot of tips on the internet and so on, and then rope your friends in as guinea pigs! Alright so you can't officially practice as a MUA unless you've got a few qualifications, but you can still have loads of fun!

Sammyj is off-line
21 February 2012 12:21
lashestolockes
Make-up Artist
lashestolockes
Kent
Thanet

Quote from fuchsia
I decided a few months ago to start training as a MUA, because modelling has shown me some of the amazing things you can do with make-up! Fortunately my parents agreed to pay for a course, and I'm doing the BTEC Make-up course from the ICS - although this means you don't get direct teaching, they give you a lot of information and support and it was £500 which is relatively cheap it would seem. But if you're really broke, at least you can get a lot of tips on the internet and so on, and then rope your friends in as guinea pigs! Alright so you can't officially practice as a MUA unless you've got a few qualifications, but you can still have loads of fun!

To be fair the BTEC qualification that you talk about is only a starting point at a level 2 covering a small area of make up, finished in just 3hours of study a week. those who are in the trade and call themself a MUA will be able to say they are qualified in every aspect of make up and hair to at least a level 3 standard. this is something you have to aim for if you want to make in this demanding and competetive career. good luck
Samantha XXX Lashes to Lockes XXX

36 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa fashion29 Lusciousabi29 lynnesel pinklilly rob452
ansonphotography bavister bluesden Camerawerks clarmike Dave@studio99 diphoto djb1 donaldmac edwards eosfan Images1854 James7799 jayfish JohnDentonPhoto karlsheen Ludapix markwalden nvidia padzer1 panda49 peterh PhilStorm Photosareu read rscott360 Steveh32 timbham tonypage urbano