Reminder Secure

Help and Advice welcome. I want to become a make-up artist

This thread is being watched by 1 person
01 November 2011 13:38
gwenstar
Model

Hi guys and gals

I've wanted to do it for a while and Im finally taking the plunge. Im wanting to become a MUA.

Ive been researching make-up schools and home courses etc. Im in the Cheshire area and seen a couple of make-up schools that seem good. Im just not sure whether to pay the thousands theyre asking for, if its not going to give me the qualifications that i'll need.

Id really appreciate if anyone could post a little advice or tell me their journeys on becoming a MUA.

If anyone has done any part-time, weekend or day courses that they thought were beneficial, let me know. Im wanting to do this properly and since most of these courses are quite expensive, i dont want to be wasting time and money on a course isnt going to provide me with proper qualifications.

Thank you in advance, any advice is welcome

xxx

Jesfish is off-line
01 November 2011 18:01
jes
Model
jes
Suffolk
Lowestoft

Have you tried contacting your local college for details on suitable courses?

01 November 2011 18:55
gwenstar
Model

I have yes, they don't start until autumn next year. Wanted to get the ball rolling a lot soon than then.
That's why I'm also looking to do other courses, whether it be week long, weekend or even day courses to gain as much experience as possible.

01 November 2011 18:59
Socialdisaster
Photographer

Interesting thread, I feel the same - despite being a 40 year old goth bloke, I'd LOVE to be a MUA as well! Can think of nothing better than beingn able to make up your model to your own vision!

But Im actually finding it hard to find courses like you describe, not having to wait for an academic year.
Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

Amy Pilkington is off-line
02 November 2011 15:17
amyuk09
Make-up Artist

Northumberland

I had the same problem and searched for ages. I finally took the plunge last year and went to the school of make-up in stockport and I can't recommend it enough. Yes it can be expensive but as my Mum put it 'You could spend more on a Car and this is the Career You want to do'.
Not only is the Level of teaching excellent but all the Tutors are still working within the industry which makes a big difference. Also the level of aftercare is amazing, even when you've left if you need advice, career or make-up someone is always available to help You. Deffo worth going in to see Elaine the Principle for a chat.
It was one of the best decisions I made.
heres the website www.schoolofmakeup.co.uk

Hope this helps

Amy x

Laura McIntyre (née Ford) is off-line
02 November 2011 15:23
Purple_Girl
Photographer
Purple_Girl
Lothian
West Lothian and Edinburgh

I'd love to be an MUA as well, I really enjoy messing around with make-up, absolutely love doing it on shoots. I've been looking into courses as well and also found that they're really expensive; cheapest I saw for a full-time course was £560. I read that it usually costs more than you'd think because many courses provide your full kit included in the price.

Best of luck to you in finding something suitable.
A dry sponge is a happy sponge.

Karen Hegarty is off-line
03 November 2011 07:20
simplydivine
Make-up Artist
simplydivine
Cheshire

ooh lots of budding MUA's hey ???

03 November 2011 07:46
gwenstar
Model

Thanks Amy, I'll look into it.
Purple girl - £560 sounds super cheap! the most expensive I've seen is £9700 :/

Good luck everyone in finding what thru want. Anyone else with any advice, post away, I'm all ears

03 November 2011 15:46
Secondskin
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending

Quote from simplydivine
ooh lots of budding MUA's hey ???

Seems so Divine!! Alas not many who are dedicated ENOUGH to pay the costs? Which surprises me if they are as passionate as they say?

The op asked if someone could tell her their MUA journey? Here is mine

Had a passion for all things theatrical since the age of 14

Spent most of my teenage life and early 20s experimenting with costume and make up and all things weird and creative

Got qualified in Media/photographic/special fx Make up...cost...nearly £1,000

Private courses including bodypainting courses....costing up to £3,000

Kit...start up £1,500 approx  (obviously consumable so cost ongoing) and that doesnt include my special fx kit which is even more expensive

Worked on Tf projects for near on 3 years with all different photographers, film makers.. making sure I was gaining experience in every sector  (catwalk, studio, location etc) All out of my own pocket and this included makeup costume, props...all made by myself and funded by myself and even when I felt like giving up because I was broke, tired and sick of rejection...just kept going because thats what you have to do...You have to get your name out there, be a people person, give your best with no returns (in the short term) and have belief in yourself as more often than not the make up artist gets treated with the least respect  (but not by all...iv had the pleasure to meet some really beautiful wonderful people)  

Finally became a freelance Make up Artist  and still building up my business and still trying to get people to take MUAs seriously and actually PAY them for the time, effort and expense we have all gone through to get here.

Claire Shipman is off-line
03 November 2011 16:16
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

On that note you should consider eating beans on toast for the 1st 2-3 years as you cant afford to eat anything else but are you so dedicated you struggle through with the glimmer of hope that eventually years later you will get regularly paid but invest most of that back to pay for your kit / training anyway.

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
HazelAries Krystald missminiskirt winX
bernadinism bob casell clarmike cliffc duncanjames freddie ianscales Impression James7799 Johnathons Kjoservices Lumen nemesis Nessie nunude ohkan orca_photography pellium Steveharratt Thunder_Photos