Reminder Secure

Do MUAs read casting calls or do I need to message them individually ?

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Karen Hegarty is off-line
16 October 2011 18:32
simplydivine
Make-up Artist
simplydivine
Cheshire

LOL Gaynor, credit where credit due hun, and agree we would make an awesome team xx

Sammyj is off-line
19 October 2011 09:08
lashestolockes
Make-up Artist
lashestolockes
Kent
Thanet

Quote from JenSomerfield
Not only this but you wouldn't ask a painter/decorator to do something for free on the basis that if they're good enough/creative enough they'll get to do the rest of your house. MUA skills are really undervalued, it possibly might be an okay opportunity for a MUA starting out though that doesn't get any regular paid work.

I agree, asking a make up artist to do free work just to see if they are good enough for you comes across all wrong.
I would love to work with you but i think the travel from Thanet to you, would be out of the question in your eyes, even though i am willing to travel anywhere.
Samantha XXX Lashes to Lockes XXX

Rod Fitzpatrick is off-line
19 October 2011 22:26
Photorod
Photographer
Photorod
Leicestershire
Leicester

Quote from lashestolockes
I agree, asking a make up artist to do free work just to see if they are good enough for you comes across all wrong.
I would love to work with you but i think the travel from Thanet to you, would be out of the question in your eyes, even though i am willing to travel anywhere.

If I wanted to employ a painter and decorator I would hope to be able to see him at work and thus judge the quality of his work as I did when I required facias and soffits fitting.
I made it quite clear that I was not just after a freebie and explained my reason for the original casting.
I have now changed my casting and have had a great response to it.

It matters not to me where you are based. If you wish to check my new casting you will find that I have asked for travel costs from your base to Leicester and I will also be travelling the country to facilitate my projects so i will be closer to you at some point. So please quote your prices for my requirements and I am sure we will be working together before you know it.

My business is picking up faster than even I had hoped for and I am able to confirm that there will be plenty of paid work for MUAs and Bodypainters for at least the next 2 years and I hope to build a strong base team and working relationship so that I can confidently call upon any team member and know that we will enjoy working together and end up with fantastic results.

Thanks and regards to all

Rod

Claire Shipman is off-line
24 October 2011 09:29
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

With 80 positive references on here I like to think I could be trusted to do a good job without having to work with you for free.

As I responded to your casting call around 2 weeks ago I would have apprecaited a response not a rant on a forum suggesting you have had no responses to your casting.

24 October 2011 12:39
Photorod
Photographer
Photorod
Leicestershire
Leicester

Quote from ClaireShipman
With 80 positive references on here I like to think I could be trusted to do a good job without having to work with you for free.

As I responded to your casting call around 2 weeks ago I would have apprecaited a response not a rant on a forum suggesting you have had no responses to your casting.

Sincere apologies for not replying to you, I will attend to this immediately.

The post on the forum was not a rant it was a request for advice which I subsequently received and then acted upon which in turn resulted in a favourable result all round.

Regards

Rod

14 November 2011 20:07
MMM_WOW
Make-up Artist

From a slightly different angle, a personal one as a bodypainter not an MUA,

The problem with 'testing' is that is has been used and abused for years as anothe form of TFP and has become seen as just working for nothing again, also from the prospective of a bodypainter there is very litle paid work in the real world so someone offering such is going to be treated with some suspicion.

To complete a Test or TFP body paint , as a proper bodypainter, you would need a brief a general outline, then take a day drawing this up so the client could have thier input against it, once agreed then products would need to be sourced and any prosthetics made plus props headdress etc, al of which can and often do take days, then its pack all the kit and everything else get to someone elses studio to paint someone you dont know in unfamiliar surroundings just to show you can do what you have already proved you can do with the hope of maybe some paid work in the future .

Bareing in mind the above , this then proves you can do the one style etc , so would this then all you would want for all future shoots or would every shoot in maybe different genres require a test shoot?

You see the dilema from a bodypainters point of view , risk a shed load of time and gear on a maybe it is one hell of a gamble and one a lot wont be willing to take

and in answer to the original question set by the op, I personally do read the casting calls , allthough generally dont click through on any that have the words test,TFP, or free in the title unless it is posted by someone on my own personal wish list

Regards john

15 November 2011 01:48
Photorod
Photographer
Photorod
Leicestershire
Leicester

Quote from MMM_WOW
 from the prospective of a bodypainter there is very litle paid work in the real world so someone offering such is going to be treated with some suspicion.

Is this why, after many messages to discuss a paid project (cash on the day) you then suddenly decided you did not want to do it ? At least now I understand what happened but if this is how you feel how will you ever get paid work ?
I always pay cash on the day so that no one is left waiting or doubting and I always agree the amount before the day so that there are no surprises on the day.

Regards

Rod

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Kingpanther786
bogan carshaltonkev Steveh32