Reminder Secure

Do MUAs read casting calls or do I need to message them individually ?

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Rod Fitzpatrick is off-line
11 October 2011 02:26
Photorod
Photographer
Photorod
Leicestershire
Leicester

I have posted a casting call for MUAs to work on many paid projects throughout the next year and probably far beyond that but I seem to have had no interest.

I have stipulated  that I will only employ those with whom I complete a test shoot/interview and that this is non negotiable due to previous let downs. I think this may have put off some of the less experienced artists but I would have thought that some of the more experienced/professional artists would have appreciated this and realised the potential for plenty of paid work thereafter.

I have even stated that though the test will be a tf basis it will not be any material for any of my projects so as to reassure artists that the test is not just a way of getting free work.

I welcome any comments from MUAs/Bodypainters and hope to employ people across the uk.

Rod
Photorod 

11 October 2011 02:35
PUNKuate
Photographer

I'm not sure PS is the best site for finding MUA's, although there are a few good ones, I always had the problem that no one would reply on here, whilst elsewhere I can't move for all the MUA's messaging me.
My name is "Lynn" or you can call me "Lynnie". Do NOT spell my name "Lynne" or I will smack you.

Simon Fairclough is off-line
11 October 2011 04:02
SimonFairclough
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
SimonFairclough
London
Hammersmith

You need to build up a relationship with an MUA and it sounds to me you are going about it all wrong.
Besides there are very few MUAs here, suggest the other place.
Also your port has nothing in it an MUA would want. The guy (is it you) in your main picture the one in the hat sitting in mid air will scare them off. MUAs are looking for photographers that will show their work, so great well lit closeups on the face, exciting modern photograph.
Golf is the most fun you can have without taking your clothes off.

Suzy Monty is off-line
11 October 2011 05:18
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall
Truro Cornwall -enjoy travelling! -Published Internationally

Whenever I've put up a paid casting call for a MUA, have had more models reply to same than MUA's...which is a tad frustrating.
One MUA replied, but said she didn't do makeup anymore...yet still keeps her profile going. Still it was polite of her to answer.

It's probably best to use the 'Quick Search' facility on front page of PS , than post a casting

This week doing a shoot with photographer who is a trained MUA and does  the model's makeup first anyway,,, that should be good...frown

Elizabeth Arden quote - 'I'm not interested in age. People who tell their age are silly. You're as old as you feel' OR LOOK...

Chrissie Red is off-line
11 October 2011 05:54
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Would you expect a model to turn up and work for nothing with you on a "you might get paid in future basis"?
I have been asked to attend "test" shoots and "interviews" before, usually they are in a place convenient for the photographer - starting at 9am in a village I can't get to mid week. Is it worth me spending 3 hours £20 on a train - £3.50 on a bus then £14.00 on a taxi to get there? - on the basis that I MIGHT get work in the end - no its not. It doesn't make any business sense - not on these sites it doesn't (sorry) but it would be a waste of my time completely. If I want to TF with someone and shoot my ideas I already have plenty of photographers who I know can produce what I am after and deliver the images on time.

It might be better just saying that you would like to discuss the shoot with them over the phone, or go out for a coffee somewhere local to them at a time which is convenient for them - that way they are not going to loose money or time and more importantly their stock of makeup.

Jen Somerfield ♥ is off-lineGold Member
11 October 2011 05:59
JenSomerfield
Model
JenSomerfield
Bristol
Bristol

It would be this test/TF thing which would put them off, I can't think of many other professionals that would work for free on the basis that it might lead to more paid work?

11 October 2011 06:04
1919_Images
Photographer

I think MUA's get a tough time on here, theyre often the only one on a shoot not getting paid even though their costs will be higher than everyone elses and normally dont get any close up images of their work to use in their portfolio, they also often get overlooked in favour of a model claiming to be a MUA with no formal training and no public liability insurance.
I'm not surprised they dont spend much time here.

Karen Hegarty is off-line
11 October 2011 08:05
simplydivine
Make-up Artist
simplydivine
Cheshire

Nice to see so many responses seeing the side of the MUA here!!
Firstly I would say that it is probably your location Rod that is seeing a lack of responses, as there are very few MUA's near to you. Secondly it is definitely the "test" demands you make that means that no professional MUA's are responding. Most of us experience Pro MUA's have portfolios to substantiate the quality of our work, which I personally am happy to email to anyone that asks to see more of my work, I also have numerous referals to vouch for my reliability, and can provide many more than those here. As can most pro MUA's.
I log in regulary to check for paid work but it is very thin on the ground and some vague offer, completely out of my area after first paying out a lot in travel and expenses so that I might get some work in the future is not appealling.
I have done "tests" many times in the past only to NEVER get any further work... interesting. In my opinion it is a way of getting a free MUA.
I answer immediately ( within 24hours) any mail I get and I apply for any castings I think I am suitable for within a reasonable distance. Even Leicestershire if it were well paid enough to warrant a 4 hour round journey.
Punktuate there are plenty of MUA's on here but the lack if paid work is driving many of the good ones away.
Simon you are dead right, I work with lots of togs and models who I have built up good working relationships with and I have never ever let anyone down.
Chrissie, you make some very good true points and i agree with you whole-heartedly.
1919, yes you are correct there are far too many models "turning" MUA when the modelling work dries up, and with no skills or qualifications undercut good, professional, insured MUA's.. indeed very frustrating.
I know many good, quality MUA's who once up on time were on here every day, we posted on forums, checked for work and emailed. and spoke with one another sharing tips and information. It is now a grave yard for MUA's with very few coming on here with any regularity, and many down grading from silver/ gold memberships to basic, because we just don't get the work from here.
I hope this answers a few questions from the point of view of a Pro MUA.

Simon Fairclough is off-line
11 October 2011 08:52
SimonFairclough
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
SimonFairclough
London
Hammersmith

Quote from simplydivine
Nice to see so many responses seeing the side of the MUA here!! Firstly I would say that it is probably your location Rod that is seeing a lack of responses, as there are very few MUA's near to you. Secondly it is definitely the "test" demands you make that means that no professional MUA's are responding. Most of us experience Pro MUA's have portfolios to substantiate the quality of our work, which I personally am happy to email to anyone that asks to see more of my work, I also have numerous referals to vouch for my reliability, and can provide many more than those here. As can most pro MUA's. I log in regulary to check for paid work but it is very thin on the ground and some vague offer, completely out of my area after first paying out a lot in travel and expenses so that I might get some work in the future is not appealling. I have done "tests" many times in the past only to NEVER get any further work... interesting. In my opinion it is a way of getting a free MUA. I answer immediately ( within 24hours) any mail I get and I apply for any castings I think I am suitable for within a reasonable distance. Even Leicestershire if it were well paid enough to warrant a 4 hour round journey. Punktuate there are plenty of MUA's on here but the lack if paid work is driving many of the good ones away. Simon you are dead right, I work with lots of togs and models who I have built up good working relationships with and I have never ever let anyone down. Chrissie, you make some very good true points and i agree with you whole-heartedly. 1919, yes you are correct there are far too many models "turning" MUA when the modelling work dries up, and with no skills or qualifications undercut good, professional, insured MUA's.. indeed very frustrating. I know many good, quality MUA's who once up on time were on here every day, we posted on forums, checked for work and emailed. and spoke with one another sharing tips and information. It is now a grave yard for MUA's with very few coming on here with any regularity, and many down grading from silver/ gold memberships to basic, because we just don't get the work from here. I hope this answers a few questions from the point of view of a Pro MUA.

That's worth reading several times, spot on.. there is your answer Rod, no MUA is going to test with you for free the kit is too expensive. Tell you what pop down to Boots and ask how much a basic kit a woman needs.. Or better yet go to ScreenFace and ask how much a working MUA kit costs... I would bet its many times the cost of your kit...

MUA stands for make-up Artist, they are artists, not girls that like a bit of lippy....

I work with a MUA and she is equal partners on most of my shots I can't credit her here on my images because she is not interested in work from this site and doesn't have a membership here, but I love her dearly and she more often than not calls the shots on a job.... On several of my most popular and published shots I was just the monkey that pressed the button, Anne did all the heavy lifting!!! 
Golf is the most fun you can have without taking your clothes off.

Rod Fitzpatrick is off-line
11 October 2011 15:22
Photorod
Photographer
Photorod
Leicestershire
Leicester

Thank you all for the response so far.

Thank you Simplydevine for your response as a pro MUA.

My casting call is based upon past experience. Prime example is from when I invited a MUA/Bodypainter to a paid bodypaint shoot having seen the work on her port and the various reccomendations. She agreed and attended. Upon arriving the kit looked like a kids posterpaint set, she then said she was not sure she could do the original idea but would try something very close, going against my better judgement I allowed her to continue. The result was embarrasing with the make up running out and the model asking me "what am I supposed to be" to which I had to honestly reply "I am still not sure".

Fortunately since then I have managed to find some fantastic bodypainters who will definitely be employed on some of my projects, however as my projects will span the uk I need to locate MUAs and Bodypinters in other areas. I guess from your post I am just going to have to hope that they are what they say they are and take the risk of a repeat of the past.

12 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa Robabob11
Andy_B aprilscherz3 cps diphoto john_at_tina_spice Njsphotography photofrank redbaron steaky74 zzdigital