Reminder Secure

River meets Nick Giles...

This thread is being watched by 2 people
30 September 2011 02:03
River
Model

Thanks guys. Perhaps if those who wish to gossip about Nick could create a seperate post, they can chat away to their hearts content?
"I do this because Im having fun. The minute I stop having fun, I'll just walk away"- Heath Ledger

30 September 2011 03:02
agphotography
Photographer

When I saw the title of the post I had really high hopes as you have long been a favourite of mine and know that Nicks work is highly regarded. I have to say I was a bit disappointed to be honest.

The pictures to me look a bit dated, especially the use of the candle and really not keen on the mask as other people have said before

Putting you in a helmet when your hair is one of your best features and then having Urban on the helmet but shooting against a grey backdrop in a studio also doesn't work for me and think that would have been much better matched to an urban location

2 is my favourite of the pictures and your face looks beautiful as always but think that the Eddfirm pictures in your port are far stronger and at the quality I was expecting when I first looked at this post.

Sorry if this all sounds a bit negative, really not meant to be and is not a reflection on you, more the styling and concepts used

30 September 2011 03:18
Lisaliz
Model

Two issues: are these good photographs and are they for your portfolio?

First question easy - they are superb and you look amazingly beautiful and sexy in them.

But are they for your portfolio? That is the question that you are really asking and it is a good one. Portfolio pictures show you as you look but they also convey a lot of other subtle information, just as a good advertising campaign does. On one very basic literal level, your hair is covered by the helmet and your face is partially obscured by the mask.  But his need not matter unless they were to be the only pictures on your profile. Then the business about not wanting to give the impression of still doing implied? If you think you will get hassled about this and don't want to ....leave them out. This has to be your choice. Actually I love the mask ones and think they are incredible portraits. Masks are more conventional than helmets though. So, it comes down to what you want to say... hey, I'm a fun, different girl who does her own thing (helmet) or I'm mysterious, seductive, subtle, hidden (mask). Or maybe both ... hey, I do lots of looks?

Soo.... who are you?!

I have to add that they are without doubt top photographer's profile material.

Jen Somerfield ♥ is off-lineGold Member
30 September 2011 04:32
JenSomerfield
Model
JenSomerfield
Bristol
Bristol

Hey chica I'm not keen on the mask/candle thing you've got going on as it's a bit naff, and a bit random. What's the story there? You were at a masquerade ball and then went over to a candle? I just think it'd be so much better without the candle and mask because you look really pretty. I think the 2nd one is my favourite though the helmet is again a bit random and hides your lovely hair. I don't think you should use it in your port though as you don't do that level, just keep it as a pretty picture rather than to advertise what you are willing to do as a model. Port-wise I think only the first photo should go in because it's a level you do, and there's no mask hiding your pretty face.

30 September 2011 04:36
River
Model

Thanks everyone.
It was a bit of an unplanned shoot as it wasn't organised until last minute, so that may be why the images look a little random. We were just looking around and thinking 'what can we use?' I understand for that reason why they look a little confusing, so I'll definietly make sure we have more of a plan next time.
Thanks for the comments about my hair by the way, I wasnt aware it had so many fans
"I do this because Im having fun. The minute I stop having fun, I'll just walk away"- Heath Ledger

Suzy Monty is off-line
30 September 2011 05:29
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall
Truro Cornwall -enjoy travelling! -Published Internationally

Personally River, you always remind me of the very famous film star, Veronica Lake in her hey day. See this picture herein...

I think you have a lovely face and beautiful hair.. and .that it is a crime to cover up.

The Nick Giles shots were good, but I would have preferred for your gorgeous hair to be on show. He is a master photographer and am a great fan of his work....

The helmet shots reminded me of an Avon catalogue campaign for make up...no harm in that of course, as your beauty still shines out...but it was a long trip up to meet and work with Nick, so why no shots of you with tumbling locks on view?

How long did you have to shoot? Even a short two hour shoot will give at least 300 images...that's a LOT to choose from.

Not so keen on the eye mask ones. Sorry, but just being honest. Mask pictures work in Venice at height of carnival season...THEN they look classy.

And of course YOU are classy. VERY.

You don't need to do implied nude, River . Your FACE will be your fortune - fantastic bone structure, every photographer's dream.

Go for it girl!!!

Best regards,

Suzy x
Elizabeth Arden quote - 'I'm not interested in age. People who tell their age are silly. You're as old as you feel' OR LOOK...

30 September 2011 05:32
PUNKuate
Photographer

Quote from SuzyMonty
 How long did you have to shoot? Even a short two hour shoot will give at least 300 images..

I've never taken 300 images in two hours. 
My name is "Lynn" or you can call me "Lynnie". Do NOT spell my name "Lynne" or I will smack you.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
30 September 2011 05:53
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from PUNKuate
I've never taken 300 images in two hours. 

Lightweight...... I've taken over 1800 in two hours before now
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

30 September 2011 06:04
River
Model

Suzy- Thankyou so much for your compliments someone else said I look like Veronica Lake, but the most common one I get is Amanda Seyfried
I think Nick said to me, when someone has a nice face, he likes to pull the hair back so it isn't hidden. We were trying to create some different looks, I usually have my hair down in photos so we were trying to add some variety

jivago Photographic is off-line
30 September 2011 06:54
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Highland
Highlands & Cheshire

Quote from RedChecker
Lightweight...... I've taken over 1800 in two hours before now

Just done a 4 day shoot - 38 shots in total. That is pretty much the way for me.
http://www.jivagophoto.com/

32 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ArizonaSky chloejade25 chosin Karenr Littlemiss01 SophieLouise1991
carshaltonkev Chris650 cliffc davejarvis diphoto Distortedecho DJ200 djb1 ellessephotography FlashHarry100 jefflynne JohnDentonPhoto Kjoservices Ladiesman Leewheatley liteangle MIB mikehemmings Nemaca paulreeves plymjack redbaron RHPhoto Studio4 Supaglam supernova