08 September 2011 13:14
MacSadowski
Photographer
MacSadowski
Essex
Westcliff-on-Sea, London

Yello,

As in title - there is a question.
How do You guys book a hotel room to use it as a stage?
- Do You inform hotel what is the purpose?
- How do You pay? Obviously I'm not going to sleep there, or have a breakfast but I'm of course ready to pay for full 24h.
- what about question 'how many people' ? I need 4 at least (model, me, lighting and mua, probably hairdresser as well) BUT no one willstay there longer than few hours.
- what about 'property release'? Strange question as I would avoid to shoot anything making hotel obviously recognizable, as they do not pay me for advertisement.

Any other advises?

Thanks
Mac

Jen Somerfield ♥ is off-lineGold Member
08 September 2011 13:20
JenSomerfield
Model
JenSomerfield
Bristol
Bristol

When I've shot in hotel rooms before, they're been booked, we've shot, we've left. Not sure if that's very helpful though!

KevinJS is off-lineGold Member
08 September 2011 13:32
KevinJS
Photographer

London
London

Hello,
I use hotel room all the time. Book in as Mr & Mrs, pay upfront, go to the room and shoot. If the model wants the room overnight I let her have it if not I stay myself and check out in the morning, so no cause for curiousity 

With 4 people in the room , I would suggest booking a hotel room that gives you card keys , check in with every ones luggage go to the room and then phone the other two and provide the room number and take it from there , they will walk in like guests who have checked in and all will be well

Kevin
I want to die in my sleep, like my grandather. Not screaming like his passengers

Simon Pole is off-line
08 September 2011 13:38
Simon_P
Photographer
Simon_P
Lothian
Livingston, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Perth

Some hotels will book out rooms/suites on a block hourly basis for photo shoots.
We don't follow fashion, that would be a joke, You know we're gonna set them, set them. So everyone can take note, take note! - Adam Ant

Mac is off-line
08 September 2011 13:40
MacSadowski
Photographer
MacSadowski
Essex
Westcliff-on-Sea, London

Hmm, Kev that's right of course. But I was thinking more about family run hotels and they do not have cards then...
I thought about small ones as it's perhaps easier to explain what is going on.. but as I can see no one bothers..
Doh... tough task

Simon, that's good stuff - have You got any contact, websities or resources for that? I don't mean 'photography site' I can not afford deposit for that, even if rates are ok, but sick 500 deposit, which You are not sure You get back.. well slippery a bit... Would be very helpful any advise how to look for that hotels..

08 September 2011 15:03
PhotzPhotography
Photographer
This member has been suspended

Mac,

I have used the up front approach with all hotels that I have used, and never been refused. A local country house hotel agreed to let me use the lobby and staircase for a shoot, and let me have access to their bridal suite for free as long as the bed wasn't used. A large chain hotel let out a suite for a slightly cheaper day rate, and stated that it is quite common for their rooms to be used for small private meetings and events such as a photoshoot.
I would advise you to phone or email to make an enquiry about using a room for a shoot, and you may be surprised by the response. Obviously if it is a bad response and you have your heart set on that particular hotel, then you can still just make a booking.

Regards,

Andy
Andy Stephenson | Photz Photography photzphotography@sky.com

08 September 2011 15:29
JohnPicton
Photographer

I use hotel rooms fairly often, and I find the 'up front' approach works best for me. I tell them exactly what I want to do, how long I'll need, and what I'll be doing with the images. As a result I find that I generally end up building a relationship with the venue based on trust, and if I want to use them again I'm usually welcomed back.

Mac is off-line
08 September 2011 15:43
MacSadowski
Photographer
MacSadowski
Essex
Westcliff-on-Sea, London

Andy, John.. I just did not believe if it works - honestly do they agree just like that?
This is exactly how I'd like to make it work...

Jen Somerfield ♥ is off-lineGold Member
08 September 2011 16:08
JenSomerfield
Model
JenSomerfield
Bristol
Bristol

My first hotel shoot was in fact with Andy Yep just be normal about it, you aren't doing anything wrong.

08 September 2011 16:19
PhotzPhotography
Photographer
This member has been suspended

Mac,

It genuinely is the best way - especially when you are checking in with a model who is half your age or less, and a full set of studio lighting and accessories...........

Regards,

Andy
Andy Stephenson | Photz Photography photzphotography@sky.com

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin EmmaCarrie18 LSSlut Marieechloe
bertram Brian2008 Bristoltalent Daniel77 david1500 digitalmood Flanders For_Arts_Sake gazzer59 humphries Jamesrichards Ludapix markeos50d michaelangelo mlp panda49 PDCPhotos rossiter sniffer Spiritofwales stephenmuddell TheChrisS woody