Reminder Secure

Couple of little suggestions (well, pleas actually)

Mark Easton is off-line
03 September 2011 13:25
MEaston
Photographer
MEaston
West Yorkshire
Leeds

Quote from Bob
I suspect that the Faculty of Oriental Studies at Oxford might take you to task over that interpretation.

Bob

Yes, they study the region, they don't conduct experiments on the people (at least to my knowledge)
"You live and learn. Then, after a while, you start to unlearn and really live"

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
03 September 2011 13:28
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from MEaston
Just took a(nother) look at model mayhem, here's the options they offer: Asian, Black, Caucasian, Eastern European, East Indian, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, Native American, No Answer, Other, Pacific Islander - seems to be plenty of choice there!

I think you have merely highlighted the problem, as that list would not allow anyone searching to find my friend of Pakistani-Bangladeshi origin as she would not consider herself to be Black (as that is not how she would describe her skin tone or ethnicity), Caucasian (though according to some definitions she is), or East Indian (due to the political considerations) so she would choose No Answer or Other if forced to pick one.
Bob

Mark Easton is off-line
03 September 2011 13:32
MEaston
Photographer
MEaston
West Yorkshire
Leeds

Quote from Bob
I think you have merely highlighted the problem, as that list would not allow anyone searching to find my friend of Pakistani-Bangladeshi origin as she would not consider herself to be Black (as that is not how she would describe her skin tone or ethnicity), Caucasian (though according to some definitions she is), or East Indian (due to the political considerations) so she would choose No Answer or Other if forced to pick one.

Bob

Not at all, she could identify however she wanted - Asian would be an option (Pakistan and Bangladesh are both parts of Asia).

When searching, you can leave the ethnicity field blank, so people would still be able to find her.

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
03 September 2011 13:45
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from MEaston
Asian would be an option (Pakistan and Bangladesh are both parts of Asia).

Fair point, well presented.

Quote from MEaston
When searching, you can leave the ethnicity field blank, so people would still be able to find her.

If searching for a specific type, are blank fields returned?

I actually find Purestorm's skin type search option (White, Black, Olive, Tanned, or Other) to be just about perfect, especially if used along with eye colour, though admittedly if specifically looking for a model from an Oriental country from that part of Far East Asia where many have more yellowish (jaundiced) skin tones there might be a problem.

Bob

Mark Easton is off-line
03 September 2011 13:54
MEaston
Photographer
MEaston
West Yorkshire
Leeds

Quote from Bob
Fair point, well presented.

MEaston

If searching for a specific type, are blank fields returned?

I actually find Purestorm's skin type search option (White, Black, Olive, Tanned, or Other) to be just about perfect, especially if used along with eye colour, though admittedly if specifically looking for a model from an Oriental country from that part of Far East Asia where many have more yellowish (jaundiced) skin tones there might be a problem.

Bob

When searching, you use the "No Answer" option to see models who've left their ethnicity deliberately blank, if you leave the search option blank then all ethnicites are returned and just your other search criteria are used (just as if you only searched on hair colour on here and weren't bothered about any other criteria). You can also search on multiple ethnicities; for example, on MM I usually search on Asian, East Indian and Pacific Islander, which is a pretty good catch all for me,

WESTEND PORTFOLIOS is off-linePlatinum Member
03 September 2011 14:19
WESTEND_PORTFOLIOS
Photographer
WESTEND_PORTFOLIOS
Glasgow
GLASGOW

if you did do it by skin colour.. i suspect ORANGE would need to be included for those who over self tan themselves

04 September 2011 08:18
TeddyB
Photographer

Oh, no.....I can suddenly feel a fight just about to break out at any minute.

Ted
You know what's there. Waiting. Beyond that beach. Immortality! Take it! It's yours!

04 September 2011 08:20
TeddyB
Photographer

Quote from WESTEND_PORTFOLIOS
if you did do it by skin colour.. i suspect ORANGE would need to be included for those who over self tan themselves

You know what's there. Waiting. Beyond that beach. Immortality! Take it! It's yours!

Mark Easton is off-line
04 September 2011 10:25
MEaston
Photographer
MEaston
West Yorkshire
Leeds

Quote from TeddyB
Oh, no.....I can suddenly feel a fight just about to break out at any minute.

Ted

Lol.. not at all. Bob asked some very insightful questions, but I like to think I had good answers for them - maybe even showed that it would work??

Don't hold your breath for that fight!

Back to the topic at hand though... does anyone else have any opinions?

Mark

10 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ChloeDevine pinklilly
George99 Photojoe670 redtail sammylhel shadowtime74 spiritofwales supernova Willjamieson