Reminder Secure

Couple of little suggestions (well, pleas actually)

Mark Easton is off-line
03 September 2011 10:47
MEaston
Photographer
MEaston
West Yorkshire
Leeds

Apologies if these have been mentioned before but a couple of upgrades I'd really like to see...

1. A count of how many times my images have been clicked on. It's really useful to see which images are being viewed the most.

2. An "ethnicity" category in the model's details, which togs could search and filter on. I shoot a lot of Asian models, so trawling through model searches takes so much time without this. Model Mayhem have this functionality and it makes life so much easier.

Mark
"You live and learn. Then, after a while, you start to unlearn and really live"

Catchlites Glamour is off-lineSilver Member
03 September 2011 12:00
Badger
Photographer
Badger
Somerset
Weston super Mare

+ 1

A wise man changes his mind, a fool, never.

Suzy Monty is off-lineSilver Member
03 September 2011 12:05
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall
Truro Cornwall -enjoy travelling! -Published Internationally

Agree with first point...well saidcheeky
Elizabeth Arden quote - 'I'm not interested in age. People who tell their age are silly. You're as old as you feel' OR LOOK...

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
03 September 2011 12:31
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from MEaston
 A count of how many times my images have been clicked on.

No thanks. It's depressing to see how few views the same image gets on my MM profile compared to when it's on the model's. These stats are for two of the images on both my portfolio and my primary muse's ... to add insult to injury she only uses the site sporadically and she was the only one to comment on my profile.

Her profile:-
78 comments
7 lists

My profile:-
1 comment
0 lists

24 comments
4 lists

1 comment

0 lists

Bob

desyek is off-line
03 September 2011 12:34
desyek
Photographer
desyek
Mid Glamorgan

Quote from Bob
No thanks. It's depressing to see how few views the same image gets on my MM profile compared to when it's on the model's. These stats are for two of the images on both my portfolio and my primary muse's ... to add insult to injury she only uses the site sporadically and she was the only one to comment on my profile.

78 comments
7 lists

1 comment
0 lists

24 comments
4 lists

1 comment

0 lists

Bob

Same here Bob - on the model's page an image of mine got a Daily Deviation on Deviantart. On my own, I had about 20 views...
Mr. Jelly! Mr. Jelly! Error at Address Number 6, Treacle Mine Road. Melon melon melon +++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++ +++Whoops! Here comes the cheese! +++

Mark Easton is off-line
03 September 2011 12:40
MEaston
Photographer
MEaston
West Yorkshire
Leeds

Quote from desyek
Same here Bob - on the model's page an image of mine got a Daily Deviation on Deviantart. On my own, I had about 20 views...

I understand the two posts above me's points of view but for me it's about seeing how popular the images I post on my profile are relative to each other.

We should all probably realise by now that model's portfolios will always be more popular than us poor under-appreciated togs!

03 September 2011 12:52
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from MEaston
I shoot a lot of Asian models, so trawling through model searches takes so much time without this. 

Do you shoot a lot of Asian models or Oriental models?

Ethnicity can be a right PITA as everyone seems to have their own ideas on what each term means and some take offence when they disagree with the category.

I have one good friend of Indian sub-Continent descent who insists on being called West Asian as her grandparents came from what is now Pakistan and Bangladesh, formerly part of India, but she does not consider herself to be Indian. Likewise, I have a friend of Hong Kong extract who on political grounds considers herself to be Southeast Asian rather than Oriental, even though previous generations of her family describe themselves Chinese.

Then there is the whole African / Black African / Caribbean / Afro-Caribbean / Black British conundrum.

This is a ruddy minefield in these PC and NuSpk times, so I just look at the pretty pictures and decide if the model meets the brief. It's a lot easier and less likely to cause unintentional offence and silly accusations of "racism".

Bob

PS If you have a higher level of membership you can search by skin colour, though of course that only works if the model chooses to give it.

03 September 2011 12:55
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from MEaston
We should all probably realise by now that model's portfolios will always be more popular than us poor under-appreciated togs!

Tell that to Iconic, who is rabbiting on about mythical male/female equality on another thread.
Bob

Mark Easton is off-line
03 September 2011 13:09
MEaston
Photographer
MEaston
West Yorkshire
Leeds

Quote from Bob
Do you shoot a lot of Asian models or Oriental models?

Ethnicity can be a right PITA as everyone seems to have their own ideas on what each term means and some take offence when they disagree with the category.

I have one good friend of Indian sub-Continent descent who insists on being called West Asian as her grandparents came from what is now Pakistan and Bangladesh, formerly part of India, but she does not consider herself to be Indian. Likewise, I have a friend of Hong Kong extract who on political grounds considers herself to be Southeast Asian rather than Oriental, even though previous generations of her family describe themselves Chinese.

Then there is the whole African / Black African / Caribbean / Afro-Caribbean / Black British conundrum.

This is a ruddy minefield in these PC and NuSpk times, so I just look at the pretty pictures and decide if the model meets the brief. It's a lot easier and less likely to cause unintentional offence and silly accusations of "racism".

Bob

PS If you have a higher level of membership you can search by skin colour, though of course that only works if the model chooses to give it.

Actually you should never refer to people as "Oriental" - not for PC reasons but because it's grammatically incorrect (Oriental refers to objects, not people)!

To be honest it's really not a problem, as I said Model Mayhem (and OMP if memory serves) seem to manage just fine - and they're from the home of PC! - they have a drop down menu and the model can self-identify from that (including catch-alls such as "mixed" and "other"). By using categories that specifically apply to ethnicity rather then nationality (i.e. Caucasian, Asian, Afro-Carribean) then the "Black British" conundrum goes away.

By letting the model self-identify from a drop-down menu of options (and giving them an opt-out) in the form of "other", most other web-sites seem to get around this and "minefield" is avoided.

Problem solved!

Mark

PS

Just took a(nother) look at model mayhem, here's the options they offer:

Asian, Black, Caucasian, Eastern European, East Indian, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, Native American, No Answer, Other, Pacific Islander - seems to be plenty of choice there!

03 September 2011 13:22
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from MEaston
Actually you should never refer to people as "Oriental" - not for PC reasons but because it's grammatically incorrect (Oriental refers to objects, not people)! 

I suspect that the Faculty of Oriental Studies at Oxford might take you to task over that interpretation.
Bob

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AprilLee Crowlex Lusciousabi29 stevepm Sxcemma123
abouncer android_man antoinewynn bernadinism big_err clarmike cliffc Davebu david1500 dby47 eosfan glamorphotos hodgen Kjoservices laurencejpower MAMAMIYA MIB Phiesta1 rdp redbaron rtmphoto steveh32 WESTEND_PORTFOLIOS