Reminder Secure

If you had twenty birds in hand, how many would you have in the bush?

Ken Smith is off-line
26 August 2011 12:11
Ken_Smith
Photographer
Ken_Smith
Nottinghamshire
Ashfield

This question was on last night's Celebrity Big Brother.

But what's the answer?

David Wilder, Unemployed, 42, ROCK LEGEND. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV4NpAnDV8s

26 August 2011 12:41
PUNKuate
Photographer

twenty.
My name is "Lynn" or you can call me "Lynnie". Do NOT spell my name "Lynne" or I will smack you.

Glasgow Photographer is off-line
26 August 2011 12:45
GlasgowPhotographer
Photographer
GlasgowPhotographer
Strathclyde
Glasgow

18 - two were shaved
Regards, George http://www.monapics.com/html/blog.html

26 August 2011 14:58
N_A_Photography
Photographer

40 is what they said on bb and no im not sad enough to watch it :-P hehe
WWW.NIKKALAADES.COM

Kirk Schwarz is off-line
26 August 2011 15:04
kirkschwarz
Photographer
kirkschwarz
Cambridgeshire
Peterborough

Isn't the answer none (or an indeterminable number), a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush but if you have the bird in the hand already then you have none in the bush... Isn't that the whole point of the proverb?

...... Or have I looked to deeply into it?
Can someone tell me how to put text in this box???

26 August 2011 15:26
N_A_Photography
Photographer

I have know idea my head hurts trying to figure out what you just said lol
WWW.NIKKALAADES.COM

Kirk Schwarz is off-line
26 August 2011 15:29
kirkschwarz
Photographer
kirkschwarz
Cambridgeshire
Peterborough

Quote from N_A_Photography
I have know idea my head hurts trying to figure out what you just said lol

One certain bird is worth 2 birds that may or may not be in the bush...  Basically it means be happy with what you have because if you gamble for more you may have the 2 that are possibly in the bush or you may have none, it's a bit like Schrodinger's bird smiley

Ken Smith is off-line
26 August 2011 16:01
Ken_Smith
Photographer
Ken_Smith
Nottinghamshire
Ashfield

Quote from kirkschwarz
Isn't the answer none (or an indeterminable number), a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush but if you have the bird in the hand already then you have none in the bush... Isn't that the whole point of the proverb?

Yes, you're spot on...    cheeky

When I was watching the show I instantly thought "none", so when the girl from The Only Way Is Essex said "forty" and the rest of them cheered, then BB said "That is the correct answer" I thought WTF...

But having thought about it I was right so I'm chuffed that despite getting on a bit I still have more brain cells left than all the Celeb BB contestants and Channel Five Production crew combined... 

As Kirk said, the proverb is: "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" so you either have a bird in the hand or two in the bush - not both!!!

So if you have a bird in your hand there are none in the bush. Twenty times nothing is still nothing so if you have twenty birds in your hand there would still be none in the bush. Note, this assumes you own the contents of the bush. If you don't own the contents of the bush it could be an indeterminate number as Kirk has observed...

If the question had been "If you have twenty birds in your hand, how many birds in the bush is that worth?" the answer would be forty...

Or forty would be the correct answer if the proverb was: "If you have a bird in your hand always keep a couple of birds in the bush for emergencies..."

David Wilder, Unemployed, 42, ROCK LEGEND. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV4NpAnDV8s

Kirk Schwarz is off-line
26 August 2011 16:11
kirkschwarz
Photographer
kirkschwarz
Cambridgeshire
Peterborough

Woo, I never win anything ha I thought I was just being a bit pedantic but it turns out I wasn't, if only my teachers could see me now! Thanks for the brain teaser though, fun way to unwind after work and before an early night.

Ken Smith is off-line
26 August 2011 16:16
Ken_Smith
Photographer
Ken_Smith
Nottinghamshire
Ashfield

Quote from Ken_Smith
So if you have a bird in your hand there are none in the bush. Twenty times nothing is still nothing so if you have twenty birds in your hand there would still be none in the bush. Note, this assumes you own the contents of the bush. If you don't own the contents of the bush it could be an indeterminate number as Kirk has observed...

Just to clarify, owning the contents of the bush doesn't mean that it's an easy matter to access the contents of the bush, otherwise two birds in the bush would be worth more than a bird in the hand. The birds in the bush must be really really difficult to get at for them to be worth less than the bird you have in your hand...

P.S. Well done Kirk...    

2 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
csk_photography Studio1