TONE is off-lineGold Member
06 August 2011 08:22
Photogenic
Photographer
Photogenic
Kent
Bexley

Quote from BaileyK
HAHAHA, Do you know everyone when you go out shopping then? As they are strangers and you don't really need a chaperone to go to the shops.
Surely if you need one to shoot you must need one when you go to Tescos!
You can get attacked/hurt/meet complete weirdos in your day to day lives(outside of the industry)

Going to the shops is very different, You are not alone but in a public place with people around. A model is alone and semi dressed or naked. As you say there are weirdos out there, you are making a very good case for a model to have a chaperone.

I prefer to work one to one, but i would never miss the chance to work with a model i like just because she wants a chaperone.

Tone

Paul Hodson is off-line
06 August 2011 08:26
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from dinesh
Never meet a stranger on your own, so long as the chaperone stay in the background & do not hinder the creativity, it should not pose a problem for any photographer. If it puts some togs off, then its tuff for them, they need to deal with it. The world isn't a safe place anymore full stop !!!

Quite unrealistic if you have taken sensible precautions beforehand.
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

06 August 2011 08:27
BaileyK
Model

My point being that I think its pathetic that people worry about modelling BUT NOT, for example, walking home alone at 3am in the morning.

Surely you should be CAREFUL whatever you do!
However some people just seem to think bad things only happen when modelling.

I don't bring a chaperone with me, I work better on my own and don't feel the need to bring someone along!
If I don't feel safe then I don't shoot with the person!
Surely anyone with any common sense would do the same.

However not everyone shows the 'im a complete and utter weirdo' part of themselves

Simon Young is off-lineSilver Member
06 August 2011 08:29
Allinthemind
Photographer
Allinthemind
Gloucestershire

Quote from dinesh
Never meet a stranger on your own, so long as the chaperone stay in the background & do not hinder the creativity, it should not pose a problem for any photographer.
If it puts some togs off, then its tuff for them, they need to deal with it. The world isn't a safe place anymore full stop !!!

It must be sad to live in fear.
In the "Information Age", continued ignorance must be a choice motivated initially through inherited beliefs.

TONE is off-lineGold Member
06 August 2011 08:31
Photogenic
Photographer
Photogenic
Kent
Bexley

Quote from jetbrown
Idiot! Being abusive to people that think differently to you shows the type of person you are. If you don't wish to work with chaperones that is fine, but if I was a model reading this I would definitely avoid you, even if I was comfortable without chaperones. Each to their own, I don't insist on chaperones but I don't have any objections either. My paying customers nearly always bring friends/relatives, so it's part of the job for me. The OP should stick to her own preference, for every photographer who won't work with her, many more will. Ignore the ones that try to force their opinion on you. Remember it is only an opinion, and your opinion is the only one that should count.

When Mr Tarmoo makes a statement he thinks his is the only opinion that means anything, so he does get abusive about anyone who does not agree with him.

Nobody is saying not wanting a chaperone makes you a bad person, but he thinks allowing one makes you a bad photographer. No surprise then that i skip past his posts without reading them

Tone

click_gotcha is off-line
06 August 2011 08:31
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
Lanarkshire

Quote from dinesh
Never meet a stranger on your own, so long as the chaperone stay in the background & do not hinder the creativity, it should not pose a problem for any photographer. If it puts some togs off, then its tuff for them, they need to deal with it. The world isn't a safe place anymore full stop !!!

I've had chaperones before and while some are absolutely fine, some are a pain in the arse so that's why I discourage it.  If I'm shooting on location in a secluded area and it's the 1st time I've worked with the model thanI don't mind too much but this is rare, very rare. 

If it's in a studio, and this is normal for me,  he/she sits in the waiting room while the shoot is on and there are no exceptions to this, none, nada, zilch.    So, in fact it's the model who will need to deal with it because her chaperone won't ever be stepping into any studio I am shooting in once the shoot starts.  

And yes I have chucked someone out before and they thought I was rude but the model knew the rules beforehand and thought she'd wing it.

alterego_photography is off-line
06 August 2011 08:40
dinesh
Photographer

Berkshire
Newbury(Berks)/Preston(Lancs)

Quote from mph
Quite unrealistic if you have taken sensible precautions beforehand.

The sensible precaution is to take a chaperone I would have thought. 
Why is it unrealistic, if you're new to modelling, new location/studio, if a chaperone can ease that tension, why not ? 

thanks.....dinesh. www.flickr.com/photos/alterego_photography

06 August 2011 08:43
TMG
Photographer

Going to the shops is very different, You are not alone but in a public place with people around. A model is alone and semi dressed or naked. As you say there are weirdos out there, you are making a very good case for a model to have a chaperone.

I prefer to work one to one, but i would never miss the chance to work with a model i like just because she wants a chaperone.

Tone

And I've never seen a model who looks interesting enough for me to break my rule. I really don't have a problem with people doing whatever they want, but I can't abide this idea that we somehow "ought" to be doing this or that.

You sometimes see models write that they will bring a chaperone to the first or second shoot, but once they know they are safe they won't need one. As if it has never occurred to them that a "dodgy tog" may have sufficient guile and self-restraint to keep his hands to himself when a chaperone is present. I would never suggest that a photographer who trumpets his acceptance of chaperones from the rooftops has such a game-plan, and I would be obliged if those who see demons lurking in the shadows kept their paranoia to themselves.

All a model has to do, if she feels unsafe, is cross check references until she has personal testimony from several other models that a photographer is ok. If that isn't enough in a particular instance, don't do the bloody shoot.

click_gotcha is off-line
06 August 2011 08:45
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
Lanarkshire

Quote from dinesh
The sensible precaution is to take a chaperone I would have thought. 
Why is it unrealistic, if you're new to modelling, new location/studio, if a chaperone can ease that tension, why not ? 

There are loads of good reasons to refuse chaperones, they get in the way, the model giggles and looks at him/her every 2 minutes, you cannot get a rapport going with the model, you can't watch what he/she is up to behind you while you are concentrating on taking shots.  Models do not need someone in the same room as them while they are shooting.    

The sensible precaution is to leave your chaperone outside and get on with the shoot, it's the reason you are there.

Chrissie Red is off-line
06 August 2011 08:51
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

I don't know why its such a big deal -

If you are a model and like having a chaperone for WHATEVER reason you want one (other than safety because If you don't trust the person or feel comfortable DONT take on the bloody shoot) then just don't work with photographers who are totally against chaperones. I wouldn't want to work with someone who is totally against it so much so he screams about it all the time or posts big I HATE CHAPERONES IF YOU WANT TO BRING ONE Chrissie_Red is a naughty person OFF type messages on their profiles. Treat everyone as an individual, not all chaperones are stealing, overprotective boyfriends just like all photographers are not perverts waiting to pounce on models.

Common sense people..

I have to admit though I don't need to put anything on my profile about chaperons, its not discussed unless the photographer asks if Rory wants to come then it doesn't get discussed. I have went to shoots and found myself with not chaperons but extra people around - sometimes 3 or 4 other random people, I don't automatically think "I wish I had brought back up" I just get on with what I am there to do which is model. Most serious models would be more Chrissie_Red is a naughty person ed off if their chaperone misbehaves than the photographer would be!

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Jessicaliu1993
clarmike jonnywoo
Charlottealom