Pix Photography is off-line
06 August 2011 03:51
jetbrown
Photographer
jetbrown
West Yorkshire
Huddersfield

Quote from tarmoo
Most of the "I love chaperone" photographers appear to be photographers of poor to moderate ability who are desperate to shoot novice models, who would ignore their TF requests if based solely on portfolio quality. Check out the appalingly bad editing of some of the pro-chaperone togs on this thread.

Idiot!

Being abusive to people that think differently to you shows the type of person you are. If you don't wish to work with chaperones that is fine, but if I was a model reading this I would definitely avoid you, even if I was comfortable without chaperones.

Each to their own, I don't insist on chaperones but I don't have any objections either.

My paying customers nearly always bring friends/relatives, so it's part of the job for me.

The OP should stick to her own preference, for every photographer who won't work with her, many more will.

Ignore the ones that try to force their opinion on you. Remember it is only an opinion, and your opinion is the only one that should count.

So which bit do I look through???

TarMoo is off-line
06 August 2011 04:43
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
Kent
Chatham

The question of chaperones simply does not arise if you are booking busy experienced professional models. None of them need one, so it is not a safety issue for these models. It is entirely an issue related to inexperienced beginner models who lack confidence and who don't know how to check references properly.

So if you are a photographer with dozens of feedbacks and you want to book a model for a paid shoot, then if the model insist on bringing a chaperone, it does make the model appear as inexperienced and lacking confidence. So, in such cases, the model will probably not be booked.

If a new model is building a portfolio, the choice of who to work with is entirely theirs. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the better photographers are not keen on chaperones, so if they are looking to build the best possible portfolio their selection of photographer will be limited.
Q: How to make a small fortune from photography? A: Start with a large fortune.

06 August 2011 06:32
SerenDigital
Photographer

Quote from tarmoo
Another model I shot this year was seriously beaten up by her boyfriend a few weeks after he had driven her to a studio shoot with me. At the time I thought that he looked a bit of a hard case and it looks like my assumption was correct.

And what exactly does "a bit of a hard case" look like?

06 August 2011 06:49
Tansy_Blue
Model

Apparently mohicans are on a par with a knuckleduster hanging from a belt loop.
"The poetic, the scientific, the erotic - why should the imagination care which master it serves?" - Ian McEwan

Pose4me is off-line
06 August 2011 07:15
pose4me
Photographer

Hampshire

I have had 2 good and many bad chaperones on locationa and at homes.
Goods ones helps models and photographers, chats makes drinks, keeping a look out and do not interfer with the photography side.
Bad onces always spying on the side, the model is aware of it and gets distracted by always looking away. keeps asking how much time is left.
sometimes even female chaperones have distractions.

Chrissie Red is off-line
06 August 2011 07:32
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

I can see why some photographers prefer not to work with a chaperone around - some of the stories I have heard have been priceless!!

On the other hand I can see why some models like having one with them - could be that the chaperone drives them to the middle of nowhere to meet a photographer, carries their bags, acts as a spotter or holds a reflector (all of them things help the shoot go more smoothly for the photographer).

I wouldn't say I have ever needed a chaperone in the sense of needing to feel safe, I feel safe with everyone I work with - I wouldn't work with them if I didn't and if in a parallel universe I did get desperate enough just to work with ANYONE and had my partner around chances are one of us would kick the photographer in the balls so not only would I feel unsafe so would the photographer which is not a recipe for a great shoot.

When I started out I hated anybody else around the shoot bar myself and the photographer, I did find it a distraction and I used to struggle to communicate with more than 1 person during a shoot at a time. Despite the chaperone being "there but not there" I would hate anyone I am with to feel left out in anyway even if they are there as just an on looker.

Rory occasionally comes to shoots with me but only when the photographer has actually said "whats Rory up to?/ask Rory to come if he likes" - I don't think I have ever actually asked if he can come along. Rory tends to go away and do his own thing. I no longer struggle to communicate during a shoot with more than 1 person and for me when doing location nudes it actually helps if there is somebody else around acting as a look out - That doesn't need to be my partner it could be the photographers wife or another photographer.. I think it has resulted in some of the best images I have been part of because both myself and the photographer know we get a warning if someone is about to come around the corner!

So basically I'm on the fence with the chaperone thing - I can see why photographers wouldn't want one in the sense of a model not feeling confident or safe enough to be in his/her company, or he might worry the chaperone behaves badly or nicks his gear and I get why the model might want one (the reasons I find it helpful having someone else on the shoot).. I can also see why the photographer would benefit from one.

The word we have to use here is trust - I trust the people I work with, Just like the people who have booked me and asked for Rory to come along trusts Rory too.
If the trust is not there to begin with then the shoot really wont work.

I don't scream "I NEED A CHAPERONE" because I don't, I like Rory being around but I don't need him there..
Photographers don't scream "NO CHAPERONE" because it might put off models who don't need one, I always think "why is having another person on a shoot so bad?".. Yes maybe they have had bad experience but models have too, photographers need to remember some of the Chrissie_Red is a naughty person models have went through so rightly so their trust might be harder to gain.

x

alterego_photography is off-line
06 August 2011 07:48
dinesh
Photographer

Berkshire
Newbury(Berks)/Preston(Lancs)

Never meet a stranger on your own, so long as the chaperone stay in the background & do not hinder the creativity, it should not pose a problem for any photographer.
If it puts some togs off, then its tuff for them, they need to deal with it. The world isn't a safe place anymore full stop !!!
thanks.....dinesh. www.flickr.com/photos/alterego_photography

06 August 2011 07:52
BaileyK
Model

Quote from dinesh
Never meet a stranger on your own, so long as the chaperone stay in the background & do not hinder the creativity, it should not pose a problem for any photographer. If it puts some togs off, then its tuff for them, they need to deal with it. The world isn't a safe place anymore full stop !!!

HAHAHA, Do you know everyone when you go out shopping then? As they are strangers and you don't really need a chaperone to go to the shops.
Surely if you need one to shoot you must need one when you go to Tescos!
You can get attacked/hurt/meet complete weirdos in your day to day lives(outside of the industry)

06 August 2011 08:15
TMG
Photographer

Quote from dinesh
Never meet a stranger on your own, so long as the chaperone stay in the background & do not hinder the creativity, it should not pose a problem for any photographer. If it puts some togs off, then its tuff for them, they need to deal with it. The world isn't a safe place anymore full stop !!!

TMG is a naughty person .

06 August 2011 08:16
PUNKuate
Photographer

Quote from TMG
PUNKuate is a naughty person .

+1
My name is "Lynn" or you can call me "Lynnie". Do NOT spell my name "Lynne" or I will smack you.

21 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
davenport fashion29 pinklilly Sandycub
bengie cliffc cps diphoto Finallyhere guitarman jdunvillephotography Ladiesman mikebee oscar philippahh Rhadamanthus studio17 Thunder_Photos two_stops Visions11 xcellent