This thread is currently locked
Peter Hague is off-line
05 August 2011 06:18
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

Quote from TMG
The problem with this issue only really arises when the implication that it is somehow dodgy to refuse a chaperone is voiced by one of those photographers.. If people just accept each other's working preferences then there's no basis for controversy.

....is the correct answer.
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

TONE is off-lineGold Member
05 August 2011 06:31
Photogenic
Photographer
Photogenic
Kent
Bexley

Quote from tarmoo
Most of the "I love chaperone" photographers appear to be photographers of poor to moderate ability who are desperate to shoot novice models, who would ignore their TF requests if based solely on portfolio quality. Check out the appalingly bad editing of some of the pro-chaperone togs on this thread.

aR

Are you for real? You don't like chaperones that is your choice and is fine. Do not try to justify that choice by insulting others.

Tone

05 August 2011 07:21
whicker
Photographer

Quote from PeterH
....is the correct answer.

+1 , now lets lock this thread, eh?
Avatar is linked to the Smiths, not a personal belief one way or the other.

TarMoo is off-line
05 August 2011 07:47
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
Kent
Chatham

I did a TF shoot once where the models boyfriend sat outside the studio in his van. The model told me he was extremely jealous and did not like her modelling. Since he was about 6' with a fierce looking mohican haircut, it did feel slightly threatening having him around. Another model I shot this year was seriously beaten up by her boyfriend a few weeks after he had driven her to a studio shoot with me. At the time I thought that he looked a bit of a hard case and it looks like my assumption was correct. The studio owner of a studio I used last year told me of a very frightening experience he had with a female chaperone who he felt might have stabbed him and who totally turned him off chaperones forever.

None of the experienced professional models I have shot required a chaperone. Some had people to drop them at the studio. Most friends of models you meet at shoots are very nice people, but the shock of experiencing the occasional psycho is enough to dissuade most experienced photographers to avoid models who need to have someone else at the shoot. Safety is an issue with chaperones. It is safer to not have them around.
Q: How to make a small fortune from photography? A: Start with a large fortune.

Kaouthia is off-line
05 August 2011 17:23
jbcmedia
Photographer
jbcmedia
Lancashire
Lancaster

I hate them, as a general rule, but I don't outright ban them. This is what I put on my website.

"Can I bring a friend along?
Absolutely, however they must not interfere with the shoot. I generally advise my subjects, if they have to bring a friend, that they bring one who can help them during the shoot, whether that be with changing outfits, touching up hair or makeup, or just keeping them company between sets. I do not require you to bring a chaperone to act as my lighting assistant as I bring one of my own with me on all shoots that require one, one that's used to my method of working and my shorthand instructions. If your chaperone is not beneficial to the shooting environment, they should bring a book, iPad or something else along to occupy their time away from the shooting area. All chaperones must be discussed and approved before the day of the shoot. If you turn up with one unannounced, the shoot will be over immediately."

I've yet to actually have anybody demand to bring a chaperone on a shoot.

Ken Pegg is off-line
05 August 2011 17:50
kenp
Photographer
kenp
Dorset
Weymouth

Simple fact of live:
No photographer will not work with you because you don't bring a chaperone.
Many photographers will not work with you if you want to bring a chaperone.

Laura McIntyre (née Ford) is off-line
05 August 2011 18:18
Purple_Girl
Photographer
Purple_Girl
Lothian
West Lothian and Edinburgh

Quote from kenp
 No photographer will not work with you because you don't bring a chaperone.

I actually saw a photographer's profile a few months back which stated that he always asks models to bring a chaperone to the point of insisting, can't remember if he gave a reason or who it was but it was certainly unusual and the only tog profile I've ever seen with such a statement. I don't mind them but I can't think of a reason to insist upon one.
A dry sponge is a happy sponge.

05 August 2011 18:24
JadedRed
Model

Quote from kenp
No photographer will not work with you because you don't bring a chaperone..

Not true apparently, its come up a few times...

In the end whatever you do someone wont want to work with you. Dont do adult work? That rules out a whole bunch of photographers. Wont do TFP? Bang, thats probably most out of the picture. Wont travel internationally? A few more gone.

Decide what you will do. Decide what you absolutely wont ever do. Then decide what you dont want to do but will consider if you cant get enough work otherwise. Dont change these things with out asking yourself why.

Henry is off-lineSilver Member
05 August 2011 23:51
Henry_Artist
Photographer
Henry_Artist
Lancashire
Blackpool

All parties involved in a shoot should check references. It is my belief that if you feel the need for a chaperone you are working with the wrong people. I also think that the only people who should be on a shoot are those who are actively part of it.

I may as well do it. I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Chris Corbin is off-line
06 August 2011 03:14
corbystock
Photographer
corbystock
Hampshire
New Milton

If you are only going to be comfortable with a 'chaperone' present then only shoot with photographers that are happy with that, just be up front about it at first contact to save pointless email ping-pong, a line about it in your profile notes should suffice. I don't like them but plenty do so it shouldn't be a major problem.
There is a chance that everything I just said is complete bollocks

28 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AprilLee Crowlex Lusciousabi29 stevepm Sxcemma123
abouncer android_man antoinewynn bernadinism big_err clarmike cliffc Davebu david1500 dby47 eosfan glamorphotos hodgen Kjoservices laurencejpower MAMAMIYA MIB Phiesta1 rdp redbaron rtmphoto steveh32 WESTEND_PORTFOLIOS