This thread is currently locked
Portfolios4U is off-linePlatinum Member
04 August 2011 21:02
Gordon
Photographer
Gordon
Conwy
Abergele

I have a policy regarding chaperones, providing I am told in advance the name of the chaperones and that they don't interfere with the shoot its fine by me. I did have one chaperone who would keep jumping up and taking photos himself and refused to stop so I ordered him to leave , I was paying for the models time. I find that a chaperone can come in handy sometime as an assistance holding items like reflectors . If a model turns up without telling me they are bringing a chaperone I refuse to let them in full stop. One thing that is food for thought do any photographers take a chaperone with them when they do a shoot in a models home, the reason I say that is I'm disabled and could easily be overpowered by most female models.
The King of fancy dress

04 August 2011 23:07
whicker
Photographer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gMt-CyJ2qM
Avatar is linked to the Smiths, not a personal belief one way or the other.

Lifescapes is off-line
05 August 2011 02:22
Lifescapes
Photographer
Lifescapes
Cumbria
Windermere

Why is this thread still running after five pages are all the mods on holiday or have they finally chilled on the subject.
"It's very difficult to remain calm when you're listening to someone talk complete bollocks." Jeremy Paxman

Kevin Waller is off-line
05 August 2011 02:41
Bigfish3311
Photographer
Bigfish3311
Hampshire
Farnborough

Quote from whicker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gMt-CyJ2qM

Love it. I am going to apply.

You can't be late until you show up

Strawbs is off-line
05 August 2011 03:14
strawbs748
Photographer

Buckinghamshire
Princes Risborough

Next time tell the tog you dont drive and will need a lift - ask him if it ok for the driver to hang around and that they wont get invovled in any way - if he says no then tell them to go away politely - I always alllow chaperones to a shoot as long as they keep quiet - I think with certain models it helps them relax more and it shows in there work too - There are hundreds of togs who will allow chaperones so just make sure you use one of those !! I also had two of my best shoots with the chaperones on a group shoot as other models no showed !!

05 August 2011 04:40
JadedRed
Model

Quote from tarmoo
For some reason, I am rarely impressed by the quality of photography from people who are keen on chaperones. Most of the best photographers have a positive dislike for them.

Not in my experience, especially if the model is good (not everything people say on the forums is true, everyone makes exceptions somewhere).. And about 99% of dodgy people seem to be very vocal about their hatred of chaperones. So it all evens out.

05 August 2011 04:42
JadedRed
Model

Quote from PUNKuate
I've not really bothered to check photographers portfolios, but I can't think of any models who insist on chaperones that I've ever wanted to work with. (with the exception of 1, who is under 18.)

Are you bragging

*needs Tarmoo quote to make sense.

TarMoo is off-line
05 August 2011 05:14
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
Kent
Chatham

Most of the "I love chaperone" photographers appear to be photographers of poor to moderate ability who are desperate to shoot novice models, who would ignore their TF requests if based solely on portfolio quality. Check out the appalingly bad editing of some of the pro-chaperone togs on this thread.
Q: How to make a small fortune from photography? A: Start with a large fortune.

Laura McIntyre (née Ford) is off-line
05 August 2011 05:44
Purple_Girl
Photographer
Purple_Girl
Lothian
West Lothian and Edinburgh

Quote from Gordon
One thing that is food for thought do any photographers take a chaperone with them when they do a shoot in a models home

I shoot alongside my fiancé John often, which I suppose could be seen as having a chaperone by some even though we're both 'working'. If we two are shooting together in a model's home, we tell them they are welcome to have a relative/partner/friend in the home while we're there. I don't allow chaperones there when I'm shooting a model alone however; it's simply a safety policy I have, I refuse to be outnumbered as I'm just a weak, short-arse girl, lol. Because of this, I understand a model might not want to be outnumbered either, which is why I allow a chaperone when I shoot them with my partner. So long as the person they bring is not getting in the way or behaving inappropriately, they don't bother me at all; many of them I've met have been perfectly nice to chat to while the model is changing etc.

A dry sponge is a happy sponge.

05 August 2011 06:01
TMG
Photographer

Quote from tarmoo
Most of the "I love chaperone" photographers appear to be photographers of poor to moderate ability who are desperate to shoot novice models, who would ignore their TF requests if based solely on portfolio quality. Check out the

appalingly bad editing of some of the pro-chaperone togs on this thread.

I don't have a problem with photographers advertising their welcoming of chaperones. As someone who refuses them it can't possibly affect me. The problem with this issue only really arises when the implication that it is somehow dodgy to refuse a chaperone is voiced by one of those photographers.. If people just accept each other's working preferences then there's no basis for controversy.

33 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AmberBray caramacman ellefyre Krystald Lottie21 missminiskirt Natpenelope SuzyMonty wakeywakey Winterlilly
Add_barkaway android_man bernadinism clarmike copperbronze Dannsmithpictures01 david1500 duncanjames eosfan iestyn johnmphoto laurenwebler15 MauricesImagery MIB Philski plld Richard99 sammylhel shadowtime74 smooth_image Steveh32 Stoker zzdigital