Glasgow Photographer is off-line
04 August 2011 05:44
GlasgowPhotographer
Photographer
GlasgowPhotographer
Strathclyde
Glasgow

Quote from Sarge
Your correct, but you cant really use them as a comparison. The only one would be the gyno, but having said that they are a medical professional, and you would think that they would have a great deal of experience and more to lose in a professional practice. The others can be compared as you dont really get your clothes off in a 1 on 1 situation. I am not disagreeing though as i dont dont really like chaperones, but do allow them as i know that the models are usually nervous or possibly untrusting to begin with, and that is fine by me and part of human nature. To the OP, please read the tips on keeping models safe thread, so you can make every possible move to protect yourself and the need for chaperones less.

Sarge,

Not picking an argument - but Doctors have killed/raped/molested a lot more people than photographers - if the newspapers/tv are to be believed.  In fact I dont recall hearing any model ever being abducted/raped/murdered by a photographer.  Why is it we tend to trust doctors with lone females unless they are in police custody and then need a witness?  Just a thought.   

Regards, George http://www.monapics.com/html/blog.html

04 August 2011 05:45
TeddyB
Photographer

Oh, for f**k's sake.....not another chaperone thead.

There has been endless previous threads started about them, try doing a search first.

The simple answer is if you want to only accept modelling jobs where the photographer will accept your chaperone, then fine, take the job.

But if the photographer says no chaperone, then just tell him that you might pass on this occasion.

It really is that simple!

Ted
You know what's there. Waiting. Beyond that beach. Immortality! Take it! It's yours!

04 August 2011 05:50
whicker
Photographer

Quote from GlasgowPhotographer

Why is it we tend to trust doctors with lone females

See Wiki link above.

Avatar is linked to the Smiths, not a personal belief one way or the other.

04 August 2011 05:58
portfoliochris
Photographer

Quote from Gerry99111
I worked with an exceptionally innexperienced model last night on location. She brought a female friend for company which I knew about. The location was in some of the main thoroughfares of London and it was more a confidence and empathy thing and to be honest, her friend was an asset, keeping an eye on her bag and offereing a second opinion on my comments about expression which helped the model no end.

I am afraid that is where it ends with chaperones for me - they have to be an asset not an ass on a shoot. Is a model able to provide references to the effect that the proposed chaperone is none of these and would be an asset. No references, no job.

I would not even let some one pay me to endure an over bearing mother, jeleous boyfriend or thief seeing what they could nick while my attention is diverted. Unless I can see a specific benefit, they are a hinderence.

I have some good references and if someone cannot be bothered to do their research on me and look at the situation and assess the risk [as we all have to do] I would rather not take the booking under any circumstances.

I work collaboratively with models and where present, MUA's, studio owners and general helpers. I will not tolerate third parties in the same way a model would be upset if I chose to bring a third party to watch the shoot as I could imagine that would be pretty unsettling.

+1             Professional MUA's & Stylists always welcome (ie "employed as" or with references), otherwise sorry, no deal . . . .

Kerry is off-line
04 August 2011 07:52
KerryW91
Model

Essex
Clacton

I only put this post up to find out others views for myself. To make myself more open minded to the subject. To see what others think of this matter as a result for me to maybe have a different opinion and look at it in a different way to how I have.

All your comment and opionions are helping me to look at it more open minded.

Durham Photographics is off-lineSilver Member
04 August 2011 08:16
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
County Durham

Sarge,

Not picking an argument - but Doctors have killed/raped/molested a lot more people than photographers - if the newspapers/tv are to be believed.  In fact I dont recall hearing any model ever being abducted/raped/murdered by a photographer.  Why is it we tend to trust doctors with lone females unless they are in police custody and then need a witness?  Just a thought.   

In the same view, more police have raped and killed than photographers.
It's because these news stories sell more papers than if a photographer did.
In fact I bet more models have been harmed by their partners than by photographers.

Durham Photographics is off-lineSilver Member
04 August 2011 08:16
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
County Durham

Sarge,

In the same view, more police have raped and killed than photographers.
It's because these news stories sell more papers than if a photographer did.
In fact I bet more models have been harmed by their partners or chaperones than by photographers.

04 August 2011 08:48
Tansy_Blue
Model

Quote from KerryW91
I only put this post up to find out others views for myself. To make myself more open minded to the subject. To see what others think of this matter as a result for me to maybe have a different opinion and look at it in a different way to how I have.

All your comment and opionions are helping me to look at it more open minded.

Good aim. It's a very widely discussed topic and people are a bit tired of it - but you seem to have your answer.
"The poetic, the scientific, the erotic - why should the imagination care which master it serves?" - Ian McEwan

04 August 2011 10:18
JadedRed
Model

Quote from KerryW91
is it right or wrong to take a chaperone with you to a shoot?

I'm asking views on this because I don't know what to do.

I had a nasty letter off a photographer telling me I'd never be a model because I have a chaperone with me for my safety.

Moderator Edit : Past threads on this topic can be found here:-
~§~ Chaperones / Macaroons ~§~

Do you really want to take one. Then take one. Just put it on your profile so that photographers can decide ahead of time if its a problem or not.

I took someone with me to shoots for a couple of years i think, it wasn't a major problem.

Edition of You is off-line
04 August 2011 10:34
garymck
Photographer
garymck
London

Quote from Sarge

In fact I bet more models have been harmed by their partners or chaperones than by photographers.

Statically , this more likely to be the case.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

21 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Alexis92 klouise1992 mandymack Michelledefeo1 missloulou shadowsfire
Antony13 cliffc david1500 djb1 ElegantCaptures extra_mayo iestyn JSP KDP lfc9_uk nemesis Steveh32 stibnite Tonypage w4pictures