This thread is currently locked
Ian MACFADYEN is off-lineSilver Member
03 August 2011 17:57
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
Surrey
GUILDFORD

I have a policy of accepting a chaperone on a shoot as long as the model doesn't bring her boyfriend along. One too many nudges and winks for my liking. I've found that mums can be fine in the past. If you became a police woman you'd be out on the beat at night on your own a few weeks after completion of your training, (well maybe not these days, I'm not sure there are any now). I think, seriously, you have to take every shoot on it's merit. If you are meeting a stranger in an obscure location, on your own, you have every right to feel vunerable perhaps, so ask the photographer if he will accept a chaperone coming with you. Many will say they don't want one present. If you're doing a shoot in an established studio with a group of photographers it's most unlikely to be necessary.

03 August 2011 18:04
Tansy_Blue
Model

Quote from ciaran
http://modelbitch.blogspot.com/2011/04/should-i-have-chaperone.html

+1

Check references instead.

You can take one IF YOU WANT, but it will put many people off shooting you. And it marks you out as an amateur - models who do this as their full time job can't finance someone else to travel with them and attend every single shoot.
"The poetic, the scientific, the erotic - why should the imagination care which master it serves?" - Ian McEwan

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
03 August 2011 18:07
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Quote from KerryW91
is it right or wrong to take a chaperone with you to a shoot?

I'm asking views on this because I don't know what to do.

I had a nasty letter off a photographer telling me I'd never be a model because I have a chaperone with me for my safety.

There seem to be a few people about (models and photographers) who get some strange kick out of writing nasty letters - ignore them.

Chaperones - personal choice.

I'm sure you will find some photographers who don't mind them.
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

03 August 2011 18:10
whicker
Photographer

Quote from Tansy_Blue
 models who do this as their full time job can't finance someone else to travel with them and attend every single shoot.

And there is the rub. Its not just modelling. Lots of professions , especially those of us who work alone (shopkeepers, drivers, even perhaps teachers etc) probably would feel safer with a chaperone. However, it's just not economical.

So, yeah, check references, be cautious, be sensible.  Everything we do carries some element of risk.

Avatar is linked to the Smiths, not a personal belief one way or the other.

Chris Corbin is off-line
03 August 2011 18:10
corbystock
Photographer
corbystock
Hampshire
New Milton

What if your 'chaperone' was ill on the day of the shoot & you could not find anyone else to go with you, would you cancel the shoot ?

Just one of MANY reasons some photographers wont tolerate 'chaperones'.
There is a chance that everything I just said is complete bollocks

Simon Fairclough is off-line
03 August 2011 18:26
SimonFairclough
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
SimonFairclough
London
Hammersmith

If you bring a chaperone fine but you need to tell me before the shoot not just turn up with one, also if there are other models there they might not want to work in front of another models BF (its always the BF).
If you must bring a chaperone try and make it a MUA or hairstylist.
Golf is the most fun you can have without taking your clothes off.

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
03 August 2011 18:45
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Oh, and why should I trust you and your chaperone?

The two of you might be planning to rape and murder me...

It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

Kerry is off-line
03 August 2011 19:47
KerryW91
Model

Essex
Clacton

My chaperone is normally my mum. She has nothing to do with the shoot just stands there. Then helps me in and out of my outfits. For one it's quicker. She stands on the sideline and keeps quiet. I tell any chaperone I have that they can't interject into the shoot. It's just between me and the photographer. My chaperone is also there to get me to where I need to go.

I would never put my safety on a shoot in jeopardy that's why I have a chaperone. If you don't take certain precautions you are putting yourself in harms way.

That's what I think about it to be honest

03 August 2011 19:55
PUNKuate
Photographer

Quote from KerryW91
If you don't take certain precautions you are putting yourself in harms way.

I don't think any models I've worked with are putting themselves in harms way by coming to a shoot, unless maybe they get hit by a car on the way there or the ceiling collapses on them... and I'm not sure how useful a chaperone would be in those situations.
My name is "Lynn" or you can call me "Lynnie". Do NOT spell my name "Lynne" or I will smack you.

Simon Pole is off-line
03 August 2011 20:18
Simon_P
Photographer
Simon_P
Lothian
Livingston, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Perth

Quote from KerryW91
My chaperone is normally my mum. She has nothing to do with the shoot just stands there. Then helps me in and out of my outfits. For one it's quicker. She stands on the sideline and keeps quiet. I tell any chaperone I have that they can't interject into the shoot. It's just between me and the photographer. My chaperone is also there to get me to where I need to go. I would never put my safety on a shoot in jeopardy that's why I have a chaperone. If you don't take certain precautions you are putting yourself in harms way. That's what I think about it to be honest

You're probably at more risk going to the cash point, going shopping, going down the pub etc.
Do your homework and get references as others have said.

In the end it's your call whether you have a Macaroon or not, some photographers wont mind, some will and some will be indifferent about them, having one may cost you bookings.

You are likely, regardless of your opinion, to get some fairly strong opinions here, simply because it is one of the most covered and oldest topics out there.
We don't follow fashion, that would be a joke, You know we're gonna set them, set them. So everyone can take note, take note! - Adam Ant

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
celebrateeverymoment Jessicaliu1993 mandymack
AndyGStudios antoinewynn antonart bilingbo BobWright Daddylonglense flawless_photo GlasgowPhotographer gshocker30 ImageStyle Kjoservices Ladiesman metro michael_cameraman mlp philippahh Rare1953 rscott360 Steveharratt Thunder_Photos Zuiko
grailmodels