Durham Photographics is off-lineSilver Member
06 August 2011 08:51
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
County Durham

Quote from tarmoo
the vast majority of the better photographers are not keen on chaperones

The vast majority of GWC dont like chaperones either.
I guess i am one of those mediocre photographers you were talking about then.

I am on the fence about this chaperone thing too.
I have had a model, turn up with her chaperone boyfriend who actually sat there giggling at her making her nervous. This ruined the shoot.
I have also had the model more concerned about their chaperone being bored than the shoot itself.
Never had a chaperone make me nervous or threaten me or try to pinch things though, so i am lucky in that respect (or bigger than them).

But on the flip side i have had chaperones help by... hold the hosepipe (in my rain shot on my profile) and a strobe on the end of a monopod in the trees (on the woodland photo in my profile). I couldnt have took these photos without their help.

There are good points and bad points, and i would rather not have chaperones there, but wont cancel a shoot if the model insisted that they bring one.

Ken Smith is off-line
06 August 2011 08:51
Ken_Smith
Photographer
Ken_Smith
Nottinghamshire
Ashfield

Quote from dinesh
The world isn't a safe place anymore full stop !!!

At what point in its 4.5 billion year history was the world a safe place...    
David Wilder, Unemployed, 42, ROCK LEGEND. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV4NpAnDV8s

Pix Photography is off-line
06 August 2011 08:53
jetbrown
Photographer
jetbrown
West Yorkshire
Huddersfield

I have done thousands of shoots and experienced two shoots which had negative effects due to chaperones - I am sure that you have a bad day in any and every job, so therefore I am totally indifferent to chaperones. I have also also had bad experiences due to many other factors unrelated to chaperones.

I am aware it works for me - I also accept it doesn't for some others.

Why do people think their way should be gospel?

Why can't they just state on their profiles "chaperones welcome" or "NO chaperones please"

Simple, everybody knows the score, and no need for these never-ending arguements.
So which bit do I look through???

Chrissie Red is off-line
06 August 2011 08:54
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from click_gotcha
There are loads of good reasons to refuse chaperones, they get in the way, the model giggles and looks at him/her every 2 minutes, you cannot get a rapport going with the model, you can't watch what he/she is up to behind you while you are concentrating on taking shots.  Models do not need someone in the same room as them while they are shooting.    

The sensible precaution is to leave your chaperone outside and get on with the shoot, it's the reason you are there.

The more sensible precaution is to just work with a real model who doesn't spend shooting time giggling or acting unprofessional? perhaps.. but if your going for newbies or shooting lots of tf then this is a risk you have to take - the unprofessional behaviour or their need to bring someone along to every shoot they do. 

I tell you what if I was a hobbiest model just shooting for the Chrissie_Red is a naughty person s and giggles if I wanted to take someone to a shoot and have a laugh on a shoot I would. If someone wants a professional model they book a professional model. I'm really rather glad most of the people I work with are down to earth and don't mind having fun on a shoot rather than havign a stick up their arse.

Pix Photography is off-line
06 August 2011 08:55
jetbrown
Photographer
jetbrown
West Yorkshire
Huddersfield

Quote from Chrissie_Red
I don't know why its such a big deal - If you are a model and like having a chaperone for WHATEVER reason you want one (other than safety because If you don't trust the person or feel comfortable DONT take on the bloody shoot) then just don't work with photographers who are totally against chaperones. I wouldn't want to work with someone who is totally against it so much so he screams about it all the time or posts big I HATE CHAPERONES IF YOU WANT TO BRING ONE jetbrown is a naughty person OFF type messages on their profiles. Treat everyone as an individual, not all chaperones are stealing, overprotective boyfriends just like all photographers are not perverts waiting to pounce on models. Common sense people.. I have to admit though I don't need to put anything on my profile about chaperons, its not discussed unless the photographer asks if Rory wants to come then it doesn't get discussed. I have went to shoots and found myself with not chaperons but extra people around - sometimes 3 or 4 other random people, I don't automatically think "I wish I had brought back up" I just get on with what I am there to do which is model. Most serious models would be more jetbrown is a naughty person ed off if their chaperone misbehaves than the photographer would be!

+1
So which bit do I look through???

click_gotcha is off-line
06 August 2011 08:57
click_gotcha
Photographer
click_gotcha
Lanarkshire

Quote from Chrissie_Red
I was a hobbiest model just shooting for the click_gotcha is a naughty person s and giggles if I wanted to take someone to a shoot and have a laugh on a shoot I would.

Not on my shoot you wouldn't, your giggle partner's arse would be in the waiting room.

TONE is off-lineGold Member
06 August 2011 09:02
Photogenic
Photographer
Photogenic
Kent
Bexley

Quote from Chrissie_Red
The more sensible precaution is to just work with a real model who doesn't spend shooting time giggling or acting unprofessional? perhaps.. but if your going for newbies or shooting lots of tf then this is a risk you have to take - the unprofessional behaviour or their need to bring someone along to every shoot they do. 

I tell you what if I was a hobbiest model just shooting for the Photogenic is a naughty person s and giggles if I wanted to take someone to a shoot and have a laugh on a shoot I would. If someone wants a professional model they book a professional model. I'm really rather glad most of the people I work with are down to earth and don't mind having fun on a shoot rather than havign a stick up their arse.

Chrissie we don't always agree but i think we respect each others opinion. But i pay almost all of my (professional/experienced) models and you are right in the comments you make here.

A shoot should be fun and down to earth and that will show in the pictures.

06 August 2011 09:28
TMG
Photographer

Quote from Chrissie_Red

I tell you what if I was a hobbiest model just shooting for the TMG is a naughty person s and giggles if I wanted to take someone to a shoot and have a laugh on a shoot I would. If someone wants a professional model they book a professional model. I'm really rather glad most of the people I work with are down to earth and don't mind having fun on a shoot rather than havign a stick up their arse.

I've shot one model who was in it for the TMG is a naughty person s and the giggles and who brought someone along. TMG is a naughty person  doing that again. Having a laugh on a shoot is one thing, entertaining someone who sees it as a way to while away a few hours that would otherwise be spent in boredom is another.  If I can put them off with a few notes on my profile, so much the better.
If I put someone off who would have been great to shoot with - which I realise I might  well do - then that's genuinely regrettable. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Paul Hodson is off-line
06 August 2011 09:35
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

I prefer not to have one there for all the usual reasons that are given. Having said that, I agreed to a boyfriend chaperone once - mainly because the model's mother was not happy though the model was.

He was perfect - wandered off, left us alone to get on with the (location) shoot.

But especially when you are quite a bit older than the model, communication is more difficult anyway and someone else there of a similar age to the model makes building a one to one relationship less likely.

On balance as self confidence is one of the qualities that are desirable in a models I think if a model does not feel comfortable with me on her own, the shoot is less likely to be a success.
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Frank Sinnott is off-line
06 August 2011 09:57
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

I once lost a £450 lens to an MUAs boyfriend or at least that's what I thought. Till one day a good while later I found one of my tatty camera bags that felt unusually heavy.
Let's just say it was a good job accusations were not hurled about. Also it was good to be reunited with a valued friend.
Though it has confirmed that I am going a bit do lally. Hey prospective models wanting to work with me don't be put off.
The one thing I can say about chaperones is there's never one around when you need one.

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
fashion29 HazelAries Krystald rob452 winX
bernadinism bob casell clarmike cliffc eosfan ianscales Impression James7799 Johnathons johnnytog Kjoservices Lenz Lumen nemesis Nessie nunude ohkan pellium rod_m99 Steveharratt Thunder_Photos