ICONIC :P is off-line
03 August 2011 12:18
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
Lincolnshire
Grimsby

Quote from Tansy_Blue
Water is a chemical compound - oh no! Maybe I shouldn't drink it in case the chemicals kill me! What about the hydrochloric acid in my stomach? Another compound! Sugar in orange juice? Keratin in fingernails? Talcum powder? Salt? Baking powder? Oh god THEY'RE EVEYWHERE! Everything is a mixture of molecules which combine to form compounds, AKA chemicals. Some of them are manmade; these are tested by the manufacturer (you think it'd look good if L'Oreal's new foundation gave people a rash?) and regulated by the government/EU. (The "E" in E number means it's been approved for use in Europe; you don't find them in the US.) Some people are sensitive to some chemicals, and many chemicals should be treated with care as they can be harmful particularly in high doses; for example water (that was a facetious example, but too much water can indeed kill you). Slamming something for having "chemicals" is faintly ridiculous without qualifying which chemicals you're talking about and in what quantity. I doubt that cosmetics and fake tan - if used normally and not to excess - contain chemicals that would be harmful. Okay that's my lecture of the day. :P

so you are comparing fake tan to a liquid that is essential for all life on earth ?
pissing purestorm off since 2009

03 August 2011 12:22
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
Lincolnshire
Grimsby

Quote from Tansy_Blue
Water is a chemical compound - oh no! Maybe I shouldn't drink it in case the chemicals kill me! What about the hydrochloric acid in my stomach? Another compound! Sugar in orange juice? Keratin in fingernails? Talcum powder? Salt? Baking powder? Oh god THEY'RE EVEYWHERE! Everything is a mixture of molecules which combine to form compounds, AKA chemicals. Some of them are manmade; these are tested by the manufacturer (you think it'd look good if L'Oreal's new foundation gave people a rash?) and regulated by the government/EU. (The "E" in E number means it's been approved for use in Europe; you don't find them in the US.) Some people are sensitive to some chemicals, and many chemicals should be treated with care as they can be harmful particularly in high doses; for example water (that was a facetious example, but too much water can indeed kill you). Slamming something for having "chemicals" is faintly ridiculous without qualifying which chemicals you're talking about and in what quantity. I doubt that cosmetics and fake tan - if used normally and not to excess - contain chemicals that would be harmful. Okay that's my lecture of the day. :P

water poisoning - quite common

they test them over a period of days or weeks which dont show the adverse effects of if the products are used over years and in high quantities, everything on this planet is harmfull in some way or another even the air we breathe

Hannah Ashlea is off-line
03 August 2011 12:23
HannahAshlea
Model
HannahAshlea
Northamptonshire
Northampton

Quote from Iconic.... using chemicals on your skin to avoid having to have exposure to sun isnt really working as the chemicals on your skin do damage aswell...

I'll assume that includes the factor 30 sun cream I use twice daily in the summer and the factor 20 I use in the winter then? I'm literally covering my skin in chemicals every day.
Professional Fashion, Latex and Nude model ~ Brunette ~ Freckles ~ www.hannahashlea.blogspot.com

03 August 2011 12:43
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
Lincolnshire
Grimsby

Quote from HannahAshlea
I'll assume that includes the factor 30 sun cream I use twice daily in the summer and the factor 20 I use in the winter then? I'm literally covering my skin in chemicals every day.

every chemical in some way or another over time damages your skin with very few if any exceptions

03 August 2011 13:04
Tansy_Blue
Model

Quote from Iconic
black people dont try and be white why should we try and darken our selves?

http://www.skinlightening.org.uk

Similar creams advertised in the afro pharmacies round South Harrow way...

(Disclaimer: in no way am I trying to imply that anyone should or should not darken or lighten their skin; it's personal choice and I'm really not fussed.)

Quote from Iconic
so you are comparing fake tan to a liquid that is essential for all life on earth ?

I'm pointing out that water is a chemical. Declaring self tan as bad because it contains chemicals is odd.

Saying "self tan contains substances xyz which have been proven to be more harmful than sun exposure in studies abc, which is why I think it's advisable for people to choose real tans over fake" would make sense.

Based on that, this statement:
Quote from Iconic
just being happy with how you are is safe using umpteen chemicals on your skin isnt any safer than sunbeds or letting the sun cook you

Appears to be trying to justify your dislike of fake tan with an unproven safety theory. And yes, they may test chemicals over months not years - but if they were really THAT dangerous, then surely there would be cases of people overusing fake tan and so becoming poisoned or otherwise harmed? I've never heard of that and a couple of Google searches ("poisoned by fake tan" and "dangerous fake tan") don't throw anything up - the worst I can find is a warning that the active ingredient in fake tan can produce free radicals on the surface of the skin, which UV exposure (so the process of getting a real tan) would do anyway.

And FYI, the active ingredient - DHA - is a triose, AKA a sugar, AKA a carbohydrate, so in the same category of chemicals that we consume every single day in bread, fruit, pasta, chocolate...

I don't buy that ALL chemicals are bad for the skin, "with very few if any exceptions". Water is good for your skin. Vitamins A and E are good for your skin. Proteins are good for your skin. They are ALL chemicals. In fact, skin is made up of chemicals, as is everything on the planet.

Pointing out specific harmful chemicals, or harmful usages of chemicals, is fine, but until you can do that then declaring unspecified chemicals as dangerous is misinformed pseudo-science.

Just say "I don't like fake tan and prefer to shoots models who don't wear it". You don't have to justify it with imagined dangers.
"The poetic, the scientific, the erotic - why should the imagination care which master it serves?" - Ian McEwan

Monstersnowman is off-line
04 August 2011 13:55
monstersnowman
Photographer
monstersnowman
Lincolnshire

Quote from Iconic
that is a natural course for life for anyone who leaves there home,

The key word is 'prolonged' ... if we absorbed large amounts of UV rays resulting in golden tans just by 'leaving the home' we would all look like that all year round. I was talking about regular and prolonged exposure to high concentrations of UV rays whether by baking in the midday sun or on high powered sun beds rather than walking around half covered for a while on the way to somewhere.
Lord forgive me for my forum sins ... the latest one is a biggy !!

15 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Ashleighmckenzie chosin emmaloux md2017
alsos chandos ElegantCaptures Ianmcculloch jccj1 john_at_tina_spice oro shadowtime74 spiritofwales stevegosh Steveh32