Reminder Secure

MetArt want to buy a set from me!

This thread is being watched by 1 person
12 October 2011 09:10
mikeg
Photographer

It's never quite that simple :-)

I booked the model for half a day and shot 4 sets one of which was specifically with the intention of pitching to MetArt - they have a very rigid set of criteria... The sale to MetArt certainly covered more than 25% of the cost (model/agency, studio, MUA) but not the entire cost - I didn't expect it to.

This is straight from their submission guidelines - freely available on the site:

As a general idea, we accept sets of up to 120 photos, and we pay, for each picture,
between $2, and $6, depending on the quality of the photography, and the Model.

I am sure you can do the maths ;-)

Oliver Cook is off-line
12 October 2011 09:23
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

Quote from mikeg
It's never quite that simple :-) I booked the model for half a day and shot 4 sets one of which was specifically with the intention of pitching to MetArt - they have a very rigid set of criteria... The sale to MetArt certainly covered more than 25% of the cost (model/agency, studio, MUA) but not the entire cost - I didn't expect it to. This is straight from their submission guidelines - freely available on the site: As a general idea, we accept sets of up to 120 photos, and we pay, for each picture, between $2, and $6, depending on the quality of the photography, and the Model. I am sure you can do the maths ;-)

How did the economics of photography ever become so obscenely weighted against the photographer?! 
Damned Internet (yes, I get the irony of writing that on here). 

DoxPhotox is off-lineSilver Member
12 October 2011 15:10
DCox
Photographer
DCox
Northamptonshire

congrats

16 November 2011 03:54
mikeg
Photographer

They finally published the set!

Iain Thomson is off-linePlatinum Member
16 November 2011 05:53
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Bedfordshire

Quote from artistoli
How did the economics of photography ever become so obscenely weighted against the photographer?! 
Damned Internet (yes, I get the irony of writing that on here). 

The economics of photography are not in the least obscenely weighed against the photographer. The economics of shooting for sites like Met-Art are obscenely weighed against the photographer. 

Maybe my bias will show through here as I hate Met-Art with a passion.

Met-Art is one of the biggest sites in the world and is vastly profitable or has been in the past. One of the reasons for their continued profitability is that they promote a culture of its a "privilidge to shoot for us" and make it seem like its an honour to have a set published. They have a number of regular photographers who make a sensible amount of money shooting for them, in a few cases (Lucia Helios, Erro etc) quite a lot of money, but in most cases they will buy the odd set from various photographers at fairly low cost. What they have no regard for is the amount of money and work some of these photographers spend trying to get published. I do not think it would be exagerating to say that most published sets produced by non-commissioned photographers probably cost the photographer in excess of $1000 per set to produce, excluding actual time spent.

Therefore its clear to see that most pay considerably for the "privilige" of shooting for Met-Art and its also clear to see why most Pro photographers will not go near them. 

Having said this, it is fairly unusual for Met to publish either a UK photographer or a UK model, so if the OP is happy, then from his personal perspective, this is definaitely a good achievement.
I tend to be a modest man, but then I do have a lot to be modest about.

16 November 2011 07:07
mikeg
Photographer

UK photographer, Czech model.

I couldn't agree more, there is no way I could cover costs shooting solely for MetArt.

I shot several other sets of the same model on the same day which I have sold elsewhere.

16 November 2011 07:10
davehare
Photographer

Very well done, nice to see somebody doing well!!

23 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AdelineE ElleLaura
63jian andrewf Andy_B diller djb1 edb funky GlasgowPhotographer IronHouse Jan77 Ladiesman metro philippahh photostevo psn rmi robhillphoto Robinsky Steveharratt stevie_de VB_Photo