Reminder Secure

Help I need dirt!

Amy Pilkington is off-line
12 July 2011 06:00
amyuk09
Make-up Artist

Northumberland

Hi Everyone,

I'm in a bit of a pinch, I am filming a scene on thursday that requires the actor to look dirty/grubby (he's digging around in caves)
Anyway does anyone have any tips of what I can use to make him look dirty? I know that dirt make-up is available and would be best but as this is for Thursday I don't have time to order online and to get it in time and I can't find anywhere near me that sells it (North East).
I have used mascara mixed with foundation before but I wasn't totally happy with the result.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

12 July 2011 06:42
Toxicherry
Model
This member has been suspended

put dirt all over his face it looks better if its real best would be compost and rub it into the skin.

12 July 2011 06:47
flashman
Photographer
This member has been suspended

Why not use the real thing. If you were closer I have 3 tons of fine topsoil waiting to be rehomed. you could have had a bucket of that. If you have the fine/soft sandy/peaty soil in the area use that. Make sure you pick the stones etc out first but it makes a good dusting. Mix it with water if you want the smeared look. That what us southerners use

Jim Gormley is off-line
12 July 2011 06:51
Truedefinition
Studio
This member has been reset to pending
Truedefinition
Greater Manchester
Stockport

Try Charcoal...
Hallam Mill - a creative Photographers playground - 2 Huge (i mean huge) Studios - Daylight - Flash - Infinity Curve - Props..

Moi is off-line
12 July 2011 07:07
clearview_photography
Photographer
clearview_photography
County Durham
North East

Apparently its in short supply since the News Of The World closedcheeky
The most dangerous creation of any society is the man who has nothing to lose." - James Baldwin

ICONIC :P is off-line
12 July 2011 07:27
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
Lincolnshire
Grimsby

Quote from Truedefinition
Try Charcoal...

crushed charcoal and Vaseline is what they used in terminator and other films makes them look sweaty and dirty
pissing purestorm off since 2009

Simon Fairclough is off-line
12 July 2011 08:32
SimonFairclough
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
SimonFairclough
London
Hammersmith

When I worked in the film industry it was not allowed to just smear soil dug from the ground on to the subjects face.
http://parasitology.com/worms/index.html
I would suggest the charcoal and Vaseline as above. also fullers earth from chemists and you can use the remains of the coals from a BBQ mix any of these with Vaseline.
Golf is the most fun you can have without taking your clothes off.

Bob Henshaw is off-line
12 July 2011 08:37
BobH
Photographer
BobH
Cheshire
Warrington

Try chocolate sauce, Marmite, Gravy browning. Black treacle, Ther are others of course

Amy Pilkington is off-line
12 July 2011 15:01
amyuk09
Make-up Artist

Northumberland

Thanks guys,

I will probably try the charcoal and vaseline. Don't think an actor would be too happy if I started smearing actual dirt on him
Thanks for your replies

12 July 2011 15:36
Siras
Photographer

Burnt cork - as used by commandos everywhere - yes, really. This was one of the original methods used for camouflaging faces and should work well for the "dirty" look you're after.

Get bottle - doesn't work quite so well with screw-tops or those with plastic "corks". Remove cork. Drink contents. Set light to end of cork - wait until nicely charred. Blow out flame and apply - you may need to wet the cork at this stage. Simple.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is

32 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin
Davidg digitizer diphoto djb1 duncanjames dwhphotography garylatham ImageStyle jackw James7799 Ladiesman liteangle metro mikebee mrdl orca_photography pafriend paul167 pedro88 peteb Phiesta1 photomart rscott360 RupertRudd siclews Steveh32 StuartCollinsPhoto stufreeman tonyk1 vapourtrail Willjamieson