Reminder Secure

Gym Costs?

14 June 2011 03:22
Jody_Maginnis
Model

Just after some information on going to The gym. Im thinking about going to one, not that i need to lose weight , Ive always kept fit at home either by cycling and running and the odd sit ups and stretching exercises and just generally being active.
But i now want to push my body a little further with some assistance. i want a more defined sculpted body. not to muscular as my body quickly develops tone anyway especially my stomach and legs. So i thought going to the gym with the help of a fitness instructor. The only thing is im not sure i want to pay a yearly membership to certain places. like fitness first.  As i may not even be able to go every week as usually have other things to do.

So do gyms alow you to pay as you go? Do you get one to one help from fitness instructors when first start going, or would that cost more.

14 June 2011 03:24
Vas
Model

Most gyms want a membership fee - I'm sure that leisure centres would let you pay as you go, but that may well end up being more expensive if you go quite often. If you just want a better workout and something more structured, why not just get a personal trainer? A lot of them train in parks or at your home - you don't need gym equipment to really achieve the goals that you stated.

14 June 2011 03:49
Jody_Maginnis
Model

Quote from Vas
Most gyms want a membership fee - I'm sure that leisure centres would let you pay as you go, but that may well end up being more expensive if you go quite often. If you just want a better workout and something more structured, why not just get a personal trainer? A lot of them train in parks or at your home - you don't need gym equipment to really achieve the goals that you stated.

How much would a personal trainer cost?  if i want one twice or three times a week for an 1 hour and half to 2 hours each session. I just always thought they would cost a fortune, more so than a yearly gym membership.

14 June 2011 03:54
Vas
Model

Quote from Jody_Maginnis
How much would a personal trainer cost?  if i want one twice or three times a week for an 1 hour and half to 2 hours each session. I just always thought they would cost a fortune, more so than a yearly gym membership.

Depends on the trainer - the range seems to be about £30-£60 per hour on average here in London. Gyms here are usually about £60-£80+ per month (without trainers). What you can do with a trainer is work out a training regieme, as in do training with them and they'll also work out what you need to eat and what workouts you do without them there, so you don't actually need to train with them every single time. For example, a trainer I know here does 'gymfree' workshops for clients, so teaches them how to have decent workouts without a gym and then supplement that with PT sessions.

I'm slightly biased since I absolutely hate gyms and found that I had better workouts at home/outside with interval training and b/w exercises than I did in the gym, and from the sound of it you want to get a trainer when you're in the gym?

14 June 2011 04:02
Jody_Maginnis
Model

Quote from Vas
Depends on the trainer - the range seems to be about £30-£60 per hour on average here in London. Gyms here are usually about £60-£80+ per month (without trainers). What you can do with a trainer is work out a training regieme, as in do training with them and they'll also work out what you need to eat and what workouts you do without them there, so you don't actually need to train with them every single time. For example, a trainer I know here does 'gymfree' workshops for clients, so teaches them how to have decent workouts without a gym and then supplement that with PT sessions. I'm slightly biased since I absolutely hate gyms and found that I had better workouts at home/outside with interval training and b/w exercises than I did in the gym, and from the sound of it you want to get a trainer when you're in the gym?

Lol i guess i just want someone to push me more physically and mentally and give me that extra motivation to achieve the results i want, So maybe getting someone like a personal trainer would be better. I will probably need to do a search in the Glasgow/ Ayrshire Area for one. 

Thank you.

RubyRosetta is off-lineGold Member
14 June 2011 04:37
RubyRosetta
Model
RubyRosetta
Derbyshire

Hi Jody,

I'm very fortunate that I have a gym literally 1 minute from my house! I had the option of a rolling annual contract (which I think was £27 per month) or a monthly contract which means I'm not committed for the year in case I move (£31 per month). This is quite expensive compared to other places I've heard of, but it includes access to all facilities in the leisure centre... so swimming pool, gym and all fitness classes. If you're looking to experiment with lots of different exercise besides the gym, I'd definitely recommend a place like this! If you are only looking for a gym, there are places that charge a one off fee for the year..  I think my housemate's gym was £100 and something for the whole year, but this didn't include a pool or any additional classes.

Ruby

14 June 2011 04:42
Vas
Model

Quote from RubyRosetta
Hi Jody,

I'm very fortunate that I have a gym literally 1 minute from my house! I had the option of a rolling annual contract (which I think was £27 per month) or a monthly contract which means I'm not committed for the year in case I move (£31 per month). This is quite expensive compared to other places I've heard of, but it includes access to all facilities in the leisure centre... so swimming pool, gym and all fitness classes. If you're looking to experiment with lots of different exercise besides the gym, I'd definitely recommend a place like this! If you are only looking for a gym, there are places that charge a one off fee for the year..  I think my housemate's gym was £100 and something for the whole year, but this didn't include a pool or any additional classes.

Ruby

Wow...I really do forget how expensive London is! £100 for the whole year?!

14 June 2011 04:50
StevePitman
Photographer

this may be slightly out of the box,

have you thought about talking to you local college / uni, as they may do sport cources and need people for they student to work with as part of they course.

a friend of mine is helping a guy at the UEA and getting to use the uni gym for free as its part of a uni based course.

so he getting 3 months gym use and a personal trainer for 3 months.

i hope this help

Jen Somerfield ♥ is off-lineGold Member
14 June 2011 07:34
JenSomerfield
Model
JenSomerfield
Bristol
Bristol

Have you got a Gym called 'The Gym' in your area? Google the 'gym group'. I pay £10 a month and can cancel at any time, and it's open 24 hours a day.

14 June 2011 08:57
Jody_Maginnis
Model

Quote from lady_galaxy92
Have you got a Gym called 'The Gym' in your area? Google the 'gym group'. I pay £10 a month and can cancel at any time, and it's open 24 hours a day.

This would of been good. But the one in Glasgow does not open until January 2012.

I do have a very small local gym where i live, And the guy who own it also does personal training, i will pop along to see how much it will cost.

Thank you everyone

10 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Samanthajane4
ChrisD grahamsphotography Jsp Musicman Philski Platidonio rembrandt westend_portfolios
Charlottealom