This thread is being watched by 2 people
Attic Studios is off-line
30 May 2011 03:44
PHIL
Photographer
PHIL
North Yorkshire
Harrogate

I'm sure this has happened to more than myself, you see a model who you think fits the bill for an upcoming shoot so you send a mail and you fail to get a reply!
You send a polite reminder about your mail and although you see the model concerned has read the mail, still no response.
What can we do? Non replies to mail waste time and drag on until the photographer gives up.
You are also tempted to contact other models for the same work meaning that eventually you will have to let down some of the models concerned.
Is there anything we can do to help stop this....it seems that some models just don't want any work but still advertise on here!

Gerry is off-line
30 May 2011 03:52
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

This has been covered before but:

1) You contacted them, they have no obligation to return the mail
2) Young people, and lets face it, most models are young - no response means they are not interested
3) They could have had something happen in their lives that week and responding to individuals on Purestorm may not be top of their list
4) This is a portfolio hosting site with the option of arranging shoots if you so wish - there is no obligation
5) Maybe they didnt like your mail?

Could go on - you need to work out what it is you need to do differently to get a better response

If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

Lifescapes is off-line
30 May 2011 03:53
Lifescapes
Photographer
Lifescapes
Cumbria
Windermere

This is after all human nature and if someone isn't particularly interested … well there's no clearer way of stating it.

So what would your solution be. Make replies compulsory? Just curious.
"It's very difficult to remain calm when you're listening to someone talk complete bollocks." Jeremy Paxman

Gerry is off-line
30 May 2011 03:57
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

Perhaps there could be a CBA button [cant be arsed] blush

the person receiving the mail can press that] and the email is automatically deleted and a beutifully written standard reply sent declining the generous offer
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

Anthony Raymond is off-line
30 May 2011 03:57
dorrien
Photographer
dorrien
Somerset
taunton

This i'm afraid is one of the joys of this and other sites,it's not just you but a common problem and i suggest you just move on,when i started a similar thread recently i was told a no reply is a reply,however i still maintain that a reply if only a "no thank you" is not only polite but more professional.

TarMoo is off-line
30 May 2011 04:49
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
Kent
Chatham

TF has to be mutually beneficial to both parties. If it is your concept and you are desperately keen to shoot it with a particular model, then offer her a paid shoot. You will be virtually guaranteed a reply.

The better models are usually quite busy and don't have either the time or need to do a lot of TF shoots. If they are not interested and reply to your PM saying so, then you may then respond with another PM asking what concepts the model is interested in shooting on a TF basis and before long they have a TF stalker on their hands, constantly bugging them for free shoots. So, not replying may be an effective way of dealing with photographers who do not value the model highly enough to warrant a paid shoot, but do not have the capabilities to deliver any enhancement to their portfolio.
Q: How to make a small fortune from photography? A: Start with a large fortune.

Ed Beaumont is off-line
30 May 2011 05:08
Beaumonty
Photographer

Northamptonshire

Quote from Gerry99111

This has been covered before but:

1) You contacted them, they have no obligation to return the mail

2) Young people, and lets face it, most models are young - no response means they are not interested

3) They could have had something happen in their lives that week and responding to individuals on Purestorm may not be top of their list

4) This is a portfolio hosting site with the option of arranging shoots if you so wish - there is no obligation

5) Maybe they didnt like your mail?

Could go on - you need to work out what it is you need to do differently to get a better response

This subject comes up time after time after time and is usually annoying to folks who read the forum daily.

This is easily the best, politest and most informative reply I've ever read, it's almost worth making it another of those 'Sticky' posts for all to read.

Paul Hodson is off-line
30 May 2011 05:47
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

It would be a good feature - accepting it is a portfolio hosting site - if there were a "interested in being approached" field on the models' and photographers' profiles.

Apart from that the only soilution to the "You are also tempted to contact other models for the same work meaning that eventually you will have to let down some of the models concerned." point would be to put a time limit on the mail - such as "if I have not heard from you within x hours of you reading nmy request I shall assume you are not interested". Might mph is a naughty person off a few though.
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

30 May 2011 05:51
ARCADIA_IMAGES
Photographer

Quote from PHIL
I'm sure this has happened to more than myself, you see a model who you think fits the bill for an upcoming shoot so you send a mail and you fail to get a reply! You send a polite reminder about your mail and although you see the model concerned has read the mail, still no response. What can we do? Non replies to mail waste time and drag on until the photographer gives up. You are also tempted to contact other models for the same work meaning that eventually you will have to let down some of the models concerned. Is there anything we can do to help stop this....it seems that some models just don't want any work but still advertise on here!

+1 they dont DESERVE to be offered shoots.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate.

30 May 2011 06:13
amethyst
Photographer

I agree with the original reply in that nobody is under any obligation to reply, however my wife was recently approached by a model to do a TFP shoot for her.

After looking through the models portfolio, thought it would be beneficial to her portfolio, and in her diary he found a few spare dates. She replied to the model within a couple of hours, the model read the email over a week ago, and still hasn't replied, and has been online every day since.

My guess is she probably sent the same email to other photographers and hand picked one from the replies, though this doesn't excuse her ignorance.

I think an unsolicited email doesn't demand a reply, but a polite no thanks if possible, but if you instigate an email then at least have the manners to reply.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.

5 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Just_Janine zephyrina
Gazza32 lensman100 Rscott360