Reminder Secure

"Skinny" fat...

This thread is being watched by 1 person
13 May 2011 03:29
Tidal_Kitten
Model

This sub-forum doesn't get much attention by way of actual debates over healthy body image. This thread probably won't either but my Crossfit trainer posted this up on facebook and whilst still lacking in accurately targetting the exact figure women seem to be after (but rarely 100% get), it's certainly something worth considering if you just do loads of cardio to want to look "lean and toned" and are "baffled" as to why it's not working. Mainly the part about muscular atrophy, it's something I've been trying to explain to a few people for AGES but never really found the right way in addressing it...

Skinny Fat
More than just Kibbles and Bits

RubyRosetta is off-line
14 May 2011 18:51
RubyRosetta
Model
RubyRosetta
Derbyshire

Great article...I joined a gym a few monthes ago and I've aimed to do full body work outs when I go and gradually increase the amount I do. If you combine cardio with weights it really makes your whole body feel 'alive'. I guess that in the days when a greater number of people did manual work on a daily basis there would have been less need for gyms!

15 May 2011 03:34
Vas
Model

Great article! I hate to say it, but I'm turning skinny fat because of my bloody knees

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
15 May 2011 05:36
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Very very common nowdays because of the lack of exercise.

Talking to one of the top coaches in the Pony Club (used to run one for a few years) - kids now break bones from falls where my generation just bounced because we had more muscle protecting the bones - in spite of most of the girls being slimmer then.

It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

15 May 2011 05:46
Vas
Model

Quote from Hugh
Very very common nowdays because of the lack of exercise.

Talking to one of the top coaches in the Pony Club (used to run one for a few years) - kids now break bones from falls where my generation just bounced because we had more muscle protecting the bones - in spite of most of the girls being slimmer then.

Vas is a naughty person ty diet can't be helping bone strength either.

I hate that so many parents think that chub at age 10 is 'puppy fat'. No, it's fat fat. Toddlers have puppy fat. It's just setting kids up for a short, unhealthy life.

15 May 2011 17:51
Tidal_Kitten
Model

Aye, it's certainly a sad state of affairs what the "kids" are eating and physically doing now a days. The way food is treated before even reaching the shelves is abysmal so far as trying to forge a healthy diet. And the whole "puppy fat" debacle makes me cringe too.

The thing is, a greater percentage of the fitness industry relies so heavily over this misconception of being "skinny fat". In every advert, commercial or DVD pack where there are fitness models bouncing all over the place convincing you to do the same to look like them, they've all worked with HEAVY weights, watched their diets considerably and (where applicable) used supplements.

I remember Miss Felicity speaking some good gospel truths around these here parts once upon a time

16 May 2011 01:27
SerenDigital
Photographer

Skinny fat is almost as unhealthy as fatfat. Well not fatfatfat, but you know what I mean.

Humans were designed to be lean and to do physical labour 12 hours a day. Moderately muscular should be our default appearance.

*sigh*

16 May 2011 01:31
SerenDigital
Photographer

Quote from Hugh

Actually, kids are more likely to break bones from other things. Mostly it's poor diet and lack of weight bearing exercise. Strong muscles and ligaments help to hold the joints in place, they do protect bones to a degree, but not to the degree of falling off a horse wrong (I should know, I've fallen off them too many times).

But you can be fit and still have that problem. Almost all the exercise I did in my teens was water based, which meant that I began to develop osteoporosis in my early 20's which I found out when I broke my toe by stubbing it on a door frame. Reversed it with powerlifting training and I've never looked back since.

16 May 2011 18:04
Tidal_Kitten
Model

Quote from SerenDigital
Skinny fat is almost as unhealthy as fatfat. Well not fatfatfat, but you know what I mean. Humans were designed to be lean and to do physical labour 12 hours a day. Moderately muscular should be our default appearance. *sigh*

Yes, completely know what you mean...the ectomorph and endomorph shapes of the human body should never be a goal, even if one's genetic disposition favours certain traits of one or the other. If we hunted for our food, made our houses brick by brick and walked vast land as a standard means of living, there'd be none of the problems we have (or at the very least be heavily reduced). ...Back in reality, emulating that as much as possible in the real world is the next best thing, but we like our cosy cappacino's infront of our computer screens making the world a better/safer place by the ever increasing number of keystrokes we enter into a mass void of...........?
^_^

17 May 2011 12:09
laurenlangley
Model

I wrote to tidal kitten asn she gave great advice.I am not even skinny fat any more just chubby or voluptous depending on what you calll it.36GG,29.40 Im blonde now so make hay while the sun shines and do 'plump' work while I csn.I will lose ii but it took me 9 months of boot camp style last time and some men DO like tall busty woman falling out of asexy dresses-someone compared me to gina lolbridgida but they must need lenses I am thinking an older diana dors still I 32 but some women 9serea etc. keep their figures so no excuse).
I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your´╗┐ Internet-assembled philosophy

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ElleLaura Just_janine Katielouxox mg21 Michelledefeo1 Winterlilly
BOBREEVES cgwebster ChrisD claypaws cliffc davemac dirkus djb1 duncanjames Fashionphotography Hairflicks hfordtom jonasbee KDP keltica Ladiesman noggy1930 oldbloke pcmphotography rod_m99 rscott360 Steveh32 zzdigital