Reminder Secure

Help please! Brushes.

This thread is being watched by 1 person
03 May 2011 07:27
portfoliochris
Photographer

I have a full set of Sigma brushes http://www.sigmabeauty.com/Complete_Kit_p/ck001.htm

- some are natural bristles, some synthetic, and some mixed - which I keep on my make-up station for all models to use.
After each use, I wash in bareMinerals shampoo.

Question:

From a hygiene point of view, should I do anything else???

Karen Hegarty is off-line
03 May 2011 13:53
simplydivine
Make-up Artist
simplydivine
Cheshire

I use an anti bacterial hand wash to clean mine after each shoot and let them air dry, in between use on shoots I use brush off brush cleanser and surgical spirit for lip brushes (if not disposables)
hope this helps

Claire Shipman is off-line
05 May 2011 15:47
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

99% alcohol available from the chemist dries quickly (but is an irritant if not fully dry so be careful) but kills nearly everything in it's path

Jesfish is off-line
05 May 2011 16:11
jes
Model
jes
Suffolk
Lowestoft

Wow!  Good for you... most photographers don't even supply a mirror!

06 May 2011 04:34
simplydivine
Make-up Artist
simplydivine
Cheshire

hmmm might try that Claire probably cheaper than brush off too and easy to get hold of is it in a spray? x

06 May 2011 05:05
portfoliochris
Photographer

Quote from jes
Wow!  Good for you... most photographers don't even supply a mirror!

hahaha - you should see how much make-up there is for you to play with!!!

And many thanks to those who have offered advice!

Claire Shipman is off-line
15 June 2011 16:22
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Quote from simplydivine
hmmm might try that Claire probably cheaper than brush off too and easy to get hold of is it in a spray? x

It is cheap, I buy it in masses then poor into a spray bottle. However it doesn't fully remove all the make up residue just mainly disinfects them so I usually use it on big shoots spraying between models and then when I get home give them a good shampoo and let them air dry overnight. Its the only cleaner that dries in an amazing ammount of time if your rushing, brush off can be quite greesy sometimes and irritates the hell out of me when im in a rush to get onto the next model although I do have a few sets of brushes, I have my faves and cant bring myself to use my old sets lol!

Jesfish is off-line
15 June 2011 16:30
jes
Model
jes
Suffolk
Lowestoft

Quote from portfoliochris
 hahaha - you should see how much make-up there is for you to play with!!!

And many thanks to those who have offered advice!

oooh!  I likes your studio!!

15 June 2011 17:36
portfoliochris
Photographer

Hey Jes - I am sure you would - come play anytime!!!

18 June 2011 07:09
simplydivine
Make-up Artist
simplydivine
Cheshire

Quote from ClaireShipman
It is cheap, I buy it in masses then poor into a spray bottle. However it doesn't fully remove all the make up residue just mainly disinfects them so I usually use it on big shoots spraying between models and then when I get home give them a good shampoo and let them air dry overnight. Its the only cleaner that dries in an amazing ammount of time if your rushing, brush off can be quite greesy sometimes and irritates the hell out of me when im in a rush to get onto the next model although I do have a few sets of brushes, I have my faves and cant bring myself to use my old sets lol!

Yes i know what you mean about drying time while on a big shoot waiting for brushes to dry it annoys me too, so i think the alcohol will be much easier! I also clean my brushes with anti bacterial wash once home and let them air dry, but as you say just need to disinfect between clients on a big shoot. I also have 2/3 sets but sometime just not enough lol.

8 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alfie bradder carshaltonkev ellessephotography focus freddie grahamsphotography lester2705