Reminder Secure

Acrylic paint

This thread is being watched by 2 people
25 April 2012 18:45
Secondskin
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending

Hey george I'm with John and Claire on this. As a body painter I would never EVER use acrylics on a person. Why would you when there are so many paints around specifically for human skin! We body painters spend a lot of money on the correct paints for good reason 😊 It's like when people ask if it's ok to spray the skin with hairspray to fix a paint???? That's what fixative is for!! Personally I'm with John...I care about my clients! Which means absolutely only the safest options so George...lol just book me...u know you want to haha x

KHV is off-line
26 April 2012 07:07
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

Nah not a chance but you could always try it on yourself first...

Chrissie Red is off-line
26 April 2012 07:12
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

I remember I covered myself with emulsion awhile ago for a shoot..

Nothing bad happened but since doing it I've read so many nasty stories and I'm just lucky/glad nothing terrible happened to my skin.. Silly silly me.. it did look cool though!

Oliver Cook is off-line
26 April 2012 16:02
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

As someone well versed with acrylic paints (I've been painting for over fifteen years) I'd say this. Artists acrylics are not designed for use on people, plain and simple. Saying that, most people won't have a bad reaction to them on their skin. I've been surrounded by other students all with lots of paint all over them for years on end in college and uni, and I've got it on my skin half the time too. Never seen an allergic reaction to date, but for body painting they won't allow the skin to breathe, they will void any insurance, they will crack up when people move and they will be a pain in the butt to remove after. Considering that there are plenty of body paints available at a similar price to good quality artist's acrylics (good acrylic paint isn't cheap anyway - don't be fooled by the cheap stuff for a couple of pounds - it will give poor results even on canvas).

So it doesn't really make any sense to use artist's acrylics on a person in most cases. Can't really see any advantage for true body painting. If you were wanting to do something that did require them, like a girl painting a canvas who had lots of smears on her etc, then it probably would make sense to just use artist's acrylics, but in that case just make sure they test some on a small patch of skin a couple of weeks before the shoot (and the same brand and type of paint, not just 'acrylics' because believe me not all paints are created equal!), and get them to sign something saying that they know they are applying something that isn't 'skin safe' and that they are responsible for anything that happens. But then that's so much hassle it probably easier to use skin safe products in the first place.

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
bonni_cuffs missminiskirt Vickiej
abouncer antoinewynn Chadite Cheshunt83 Don_Dark James7799 jpdo kaosrox Kjoservices LeicesterStargazer mamamiya MIB natkins Nunude Phiesta1 redbaron redwrenstudios smooth_image Steveh32 Thunder_Photos viewphotographic Wtphotos