This thread is being watched by 2 people
Barlow Studios is off-line
28 April 2011 08:39
barlowstudios
Studio
barlowstudios
Derbyshire
Barlow between Sheffield & Chesterfield

Does any one know if you can use water based acrylic paint on a person.

Kevin Waller is off-line
28 April 2011 08:43
Bigfish3311
Photographer
Bigfish3311
Hampshire
Farnborough

All i know is when i paint (badly) i seem to end up with more paint on me than the canvas. It does come of but i find it does irritate my skin. Perhaps give it a miss. I suggest proper body paint.
You can't be late until you show up

Claire Shipman is off-line
28 April 2011 14:24
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Don't do it George, the skin can suffocate under non body paints and it can cause a bad allergic reaction on some, for the sake of a few extra £££'s I'd say go with body paint.

03 May 2011 04:03
MMM_WOW
Make-up Artist

II wouldnt, far to many allergic reactions to it, it is not designed or tested for prolonged use on the skin.
It might well be CE labelled and labelled as child friendly but it still doesnt mean it safe.
if you use it any insurance you have will become void as you are not using a cosmetic grade product on the skin.

Others will no doubt jump in with their tales of being immersed in it for 20 days and eating for 3 meals a day along with stories of how they have used caustic soda to get the effect they want on their models and how everyone survived and that Mua' and bodypainters are scaremongers , the choice is yours and your models , all i know is i would never use it as I do tend to like to work with people again.

Another reason apart from it not being safe on a body is quite simply it looks like MMM_WOW is a naughty person e, it peels, gloss's over in patches.

Skin safe products have been developed for a reason

and child safe does NOT mean skin safe

rant over

03 May 2011 04:13
granite_and_grace
Photographer

I have used it for many years (often for full body coverage)and have never had a model that has suffered any problem or reaction from it. In fact I think it is far superior to some of the "body paints" available. If in doubt, always test a small area first.

June Long is off-line
03 May 2011 06:17
junelong
Make-up Artist
junelong
Glasgow

As a Make-up Artist, I'm with John (a well respected and experienced bodypainter) 100% on this, for all the reasons he has already stated.

03 May 2011 08:38
MMM_WOW
Make-up Artist

Quote from granite_and_grace
I have used it for many years (often for full body coverage)and have never had a model that has suffered any problem or reaction from it. In fact I think it is far superior to some of the "body paints" available. If in doubt, always test a small area first.

Far superior to use untested products on your model , always there are those that say they have done it with no reaction, try to do a bit of research and look what happens when there is a reaction, I am afraid I have far to much respect for my models and those I work with than to use things that are UNFIT and UNSAFE for purpose , but there again it's not my insurance or reputation at stake or the well being of my models and their livelihood

As for testing a small patch. just for your information patch testing wont necessarily work as it would have to be left on for the same amount of time as the finished paint and quite often the reaction can erupt AFTER the stuff has been removed  

Claire Shipman is off-line
03 May 2011 11:33
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Quote from granite_and_grace

Just because 'some' don't have an allergic reaction doesn't mean no one will... out of 10 people you may only get one who will react but she / he may react badly and could end up in hospital, but thats your decision personally I wouldn't take the risk

Razoir is off-line
03 May 2011 11:45
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

Quote from ClaireShipman
Just because 'some' don't have an allergic reaction doesn't mean no one will... out of 10 people you may only get one who will react but she / he may react badly and could end up in hospital, but thats your decision personally I wouldn't take the risk

I have to agree strongly with that. Look up anaphylactic shock. Anaphylaxis only kills a small percentage of the people who get it but the small percentage who die STAY DEAD.

Although it is rare, it is mandatory in hospitals and doctors' surgeries to have injectable adrenaline on hand, together with resuscitation kit when giving certain drugs.

MOST people can eat Snikkers Bars. They have lots of lovely pea-nuts in them. Pea-nuts will kill a very small percentage of people.

Now that you have that knowledge you are not simply risking invalidating your insurance. You are risking a manslaughter by negligence case. 30 years potentially for that. Go on, buy the proper stuff!
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

BodyPaintingbyCat.com is off-line
19 April 2012 07:55
Catscreations
Make-up Artist
Catscreations
Norfolk

There's been a lot of talk about this since MAC inexplicably called that 'new' liquid body paint of theirs 'acrylic'. Grrrrreat. Considering there's been a huge campaign by all sorts of body-artists to ban acrylics on skin it seemed mad...I even have 'no acrylic' badges that were given to me at some of the big body art conferences!

Acrylics are non-toxic but that just means they probably won't poison you if eaten. They aren't cosmetics and I would have thought/ hoped that any professional would only be using skin-safe products on models.

I paint a lot in Hong Kong and have several times seen 'local' body artists or face painters use acrylics on kids/ models and have, even in that small time, seen several nasty reactions and had models complain to me about what was put on them and how nasty it felt/ difficult it was to get off. Theres also a notorious horrible photo on facebook that keeps resurfacing (good!) of some poor kid who was painted with acrylics and ended up almost scarred in the shape of the 'artwork'.

If you need waterproof body paints there are brands and products that will do that w/o having to resort to actual acrylics.

Cat
cats-creations.co.uk Professional Face & Body art, UK & Hong Kong

36 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
astramore RedXXX Skylerlondon
63jian andyf andyritchie bartleyphotography Belemboo carshaltonkev casell Cheshunt83 chriscooze dby47 Dolayley eosfan firsttake freddie gkeesuk gshocker30 JK10001 john_at_tina_spice Jonathan52 liteangle Mantisphoto Matthieulefevre MauricesImagery moritz78 mrdl Rawandthecooked RupertRudd shadowtime74 siclews spiritofwales stevegosh sweepman westend_portfolios