Reminder Secure

How long for each look?

James Ward is off-linePlatinum Member
19 April 2011 06:17
jameswardphotography
Photographer

Hertfordshire

Hi

I am after a bit of advice on how long it would take for an MUA to create a beauty look. In short i am planning my first beauty shoot and will have the studio booked for 3-4 hours and would like to get an idea of how many different looks on average could be created in that time?

Any other advice on beauty shoots would be appreciated

James
Welcome to planet Jimmy............Population 1!

19 April 2011 09:27
PhilDrinkwater
Photographer

Between 45 mins (simple makeup only) and 3 hours (complex makeup and complex hair). If someone says "15 mins" - I'd pass them by. Personally I've never seen anyone do a particularly good job *for beauty* in less than 30 mins.

Generally speaking, second and third looks will take less time, unless there's a significant amount of change between the looks.
www.phildrinkwater.co.uk www.facebook.com/phildrinkwater

James Ward is off-linePlatinum Member
19 April 2011 09:39
jameswardphotography
Photographer

Hertfordshire

Cheer Phil, I had in mind about an hour so i wasnt too far out. Obviously appreciate time will depend on what needs to be done. How many shots would you take per look?
Welcome to planet Jimmy............Population 1!

19 April 2011 10:24
PhilDrinkwater
Photographer

Personally? Just as many as it takes to get what I want - I'm quality based not shot number based That said, I *usually* take 30-100 per look. Enjoy it!
www.phildrinkwater.co.uk www.facebook.com/phildrinkwater

21 April 2011 19:08
Secondskin
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending

I agree with Phil. Usually takes me about an hour and a half to do straight beauty makeup with simple hair styling and like he says...up to 3 hours for complex looks x

Karen Hegarty is off-line
22 April 2011 06:00
simplydivine
Make-up Artist
simplydivine
Cheshire

ditto Second skin at least an hour qurter to hour and half for make up and hair even for a clean beauty look. Most people outside the industry don't understand what is involved in getting a really fabulous clean beauty make up and some simple hair styling. To change the look depending on what is required can be between 10/15 mins to half hour.

June Long is off-line
22 April 2011 06:19
junelong
Make-up Artist
junelong
Glasgow

@secondskin and simplydivine (and Phil too)- I am so glad you have said this! I read on another board that anything over 30mins for a clean look is too long! I was starting to feel totally inadequate, so this is reassuring-thank you. :-)

Wendy Davies is off-line
24 April 2011 06:47
wendyanne
Make-up Artist

Cheshire
Ellesmere port

Quote from junelong
@secondskin and simplydivine (and Phil too)- I am so glad you have said this! I read on another board that anything over 30mins for a clean look is too long! I was starting to feel totally inadequate, so this is reassuring-thank you. :-)

Hi june,

I know what you mean.I totally agree with karen and secondskin.I was trained to do make-up in 1hr as this is apparently what is accepted in the industry as an acceptable commercial time.Some less complicated make-ups can be done in 45mins.I think perhaps sometimes people dont understand whats needed especially on photographic work as the skin and make-up needs to be as flawless as possible ( and some models require more preperation than others depending on thier skin i.e spots,uneven skin and blemishes etc) also make-up needs to be emphasised more and bolder for the camera and catwalk shows or you lose the features etc,and make-up can look washed out.it can make you feel pressured when not enough time is allowed for make-up as you want to do a professional job and the finished product would not be the same or as good if corners are cut.

Louise jane is off-line
25 April 2011 17:13
louisejane1
Make-up Artist

Merseyside
liverpool

Brilliant guy’s great advice so far!
If you want a good professional job then an hour to hour 1/2 I would take for both hair and makeup, for natural if needed, more if more complex.
As for the changes in between if the makeup is perfect on the first shoot its surprising how quick the changes can be as the hair and everything is taken in to consideration to allow for the changes i.e. how its curled in the beginning to the finished result
Make-up - the primers and bases applied perfectly to how many changes the makeup allows without all being dislodged also the lips and eyes I can change quickly if needed but it’s all in the planning
Allow 15 mins plus in between for changes depending?

Steve Robertson is off-line
25 April 2011 17:16
steverobertson
Photographer
steverobertson
West Yorkshire
Leeds

15 minutes
www.steverobertson.co.uk <---- new site

26 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ArizonaSky Ashleighmckenzie chandni23 Debbieann latara_18 michellehush Rhistylee
Dandelion dby47 DecimalDan djb1 Essexjohn gperl GSC4X image_ination Impulse_Images JasonSmithPhoto JohnDentonPhoto Maverick974 MIB Modtog1976 photon shadowtime74 stuh violins Willjamieson