Reminder Secure

Astrophotography - Is anyone interested?

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Ian Davies is off-line
03 April 2011 08:46
Ian1980
Photographer
This member has been suspended
This member has been reset to pending
Ian1980
West Yorkshire
Leeds

I am just wondering if anyone else is into Astrophotography because I'd like to get something off the ground where a group of us could visit a dark sky site every now and again and  be able to share our photoghraphy knowledge and experience of the night sky.  

I'm happy to travel anywhere but I offer the following as suggestions for good places to meet that are reasonably free of  light pollution. The milky way galaxy is clearky visible and makes for some great pictures.

(1) Yorkshire dales - Anywhere north of Skipton is good and it has the advantage of being on the Settle to Carlisle railway for anyone that doesn't drive. 
(2) Snowdonia - Good transport links and more centrally located.
(3) Kielder reservior - In my opinion this is one of the darkest place in England but it is difficult to get to and there are hardly any petrol stations or shops there. 

When I go I tend to make a night of it and wild camp because in summer it doesn't really get dark enough until 11pm and if it gets cloudy or rainy you can just zip up the tent and go to sleep which is far better than being sat around bored in your car.

You don't even need a telescope and that you can take some great shots just using your SLR camera on a long exposure.

This event is open to everyone and it is free.

Let me know your thoughts

Ian

DJ is off-lineSilver Member
03 April 2011 11:41
DJPhotos
Photographer
DJPhotos
Leicestershire

I'd be up for something like this. I have absolutely no experience of this type of photography apart from reading the occassional book and looking at the brilliant images posted on Photosig. I got as far as researching telescopes last year but felt I needed to speak to someone actively involved in the genre already.
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Ian Davies is off-line
03 April 2011 12:27
Ian1980
Photographer
This member has been suspended
This member has been reset to pending
Ian1980
West Yorkshire
Leeds

My experience of Astrophotography is also fairly basic which is my purpose for wanting to set up this group so that we can all learn together.

Having a telescope is not essential because a DSLR on a long exposure can capture some amazing stuff. However, if you do want to buy one then either the following are good places to start:-

(1) Celestron Nexstar 4SE
(2) Meade ETX-90

Both of the above GOTO telescopes are fully portable and reasonably simple to use retailing about the £400 to £450 mark. They also hold their value really well (far better than most camera equipment) should you wish to sell them in the future.

Ian

Len Maynard is off-line
04 April 2011 15:34
Skid2
Photographer
Skid2
Cheshire
Stockport

I would be interersted. I am just waiting for a SKYMAX-127 MAKSUTOV-CASSEGRAIN telecope to be delivered.
"I never cared for fashion much, amusing little seams and witty little pleats: it was the girls I liked." - David Bailey

DJ is off-lineSilver Member
05 April 2011 16:23
DJPhotos
Photographer
DJPhotos
Leicestershire

Quote from Ian1980
My experience of Astrophotography is also fairly basic which is my purpose for wanting to set up this group so that we can all learn together.

Having a telescope is not essential because a DSLR on a long exposure can capture some amazing stuff. However, if you do want to buy one then either the following are good places to start:-

(1) Celestron Nexstar 4SE
(2) Meade ETX-90

Both of the above GOTO telescopes are fully portable and reasonably simple to use retailing about the £400 to £450 mark. They also hold their value really well (far better than most camera equipment) should you wish to sell them in the future.

Ian

Thanks for the info , I'll check those out.

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

D.O.M. is off-line
05 April 2011 16:43
BoudoirNE
Photographer
BoudoirNE
Tyne and Wear
Newcastle upon Tyne

about the closest I get to that is this shot I did in Cumbria a few weeks back

Star Trails

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Modtog1976 poah Rowen16