Reminder Secure

How much do you guys cost?

This thread is being watched by 1 person
16 March 2011 20:34
Tansy_Blue
Model

Hi, I'm thinking about booking an MUA for a special TF shoot, but I've realised I have no idea how much you charge. Don't want to post a casting and get people to waste their time giving me four figure quotes.

So, how much? Are you rates hourly, daily, dependent on job etc? Assuming just standard make up and no bodypaint or anything very elaborate, how much?
"The poetic, the scientific, the erotic - why should the imagination care which master it serves?" - Ian McEwan

16 March 2011 21:12
tasmintaylor
Model

a few of mine are like 10ph plus travel i dont have any in london in contacts yet sorry
some take offers for the whole shoot but be serious with the offer dont under value them they may get offended just like us x

ICONIC :P is off-line
16 March 2011 21:17
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
Lincolnshire
Grimsby

the few ive contacted that are fully insured have been from 30 - 50 per hour, if you want one on tf try local colege they gor reeems of mua's looking to build on there port
pissing purestorm off since 2009

16 March 2011 21:20
tasmintaylor
Model

http://purestorm.com/view-casting-call.aspx?id=47404
or just offer to cover her travel or go halfs or somthing

Frank Sinnott is online
16 March 2011 22:46
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
London

You takes your chances, I had a shoot once and the MUA turned up with a bag full of make-up the size of a purse. Not very good considering the first MUA I worked with had a metal pulley case pack to the nines and she was good. You could post for TFP as has been suggested. You are getting a good reputation as a model and would certainly add to an MUAs port. Though MUAs do have quite considerable costs to cover so something to think about.

17 March 2011 04:38
Tansy_Blue
Model

Yes I would always offer an MUA something because make up's expensive - that's potentially £20 of product on my face. If she chooses to decline then fair enough, but I have huge respect for MUAs and their skill and time. Particularly as I know that most of them could be making good money in salons or doing bridal instead of faffing around on photoshoots.

Anyway...thanks for the info, that's really helpful.
"The poetic, the scientific, the erotic - why should the imagination care which master it serves?" - Ian McEwan

Chris Conway is off-line
17 March 2011 05:21
ChrisConway
Photographer
ChrisConway
London
London

Quote from Tansy_Blue
that's potentially £20 of product on my face.

They tend not to apply it with a trowel emoticon

I pay my regular MUA £20-£30 per makeup look. Most I've paid is £45 for the first look, least was £10.

You get what you pay for generally.

Some will TF, apparently its frowned upon to ask, but its not like a makeup kit costs anything more than a photography kit so I'm not sure why. I'm sure that's a whole big can of worms to open...
The man who smiles when things go wrong has already thought of someone to blame it on...

17 March 2011 06:28
Rachael_Lyon
Model

All the make-up artists I have worked with (including the ones booked by the photographer and not myself) have charged £40 and then £10 for any change in 'look' thereafter... Although most are pretty good and start off with a natural look and don't charge for building up
"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

17 March 2011 06:52
BaileyK
Model

PLEASE make sure you book someone who is trained.
The last thing you want is some idiot with her own make up turning up and giving you an eye infection or worse.

Karen Hegarty is off-line
17 March 2011 10:08
simplydivine
Make-up Artist
simplydivine
Cheshire

Quote from ChrisConway
They tend not to apply it with a trowel emoticon

That's right Chris we don't apply it with a trowel, we apply it with a brush kit which is anywhere between £150 upwards, then for professional make-up you moisturise the skin, then use a primer before any make -up . then its foundation , concealer, powder, blushers ( usually 2/3 for contouring and shading) highlighter possibly, eyeshadow primer, eyeshadows ( again 2-3 ) eyebrow definition either powder or pencil. eyeliners, mascara ( with disposable wand) possibly fake lashes. lip liner and lipsticl or gloss,  on top is things like tissues wet wipes brush cleaner, if you are styling hair, hairstyling products like a heat defense spray, styling spray, hair spray to finish. you need things like hair straighteners or curling tongs usually or grips hair bands etc.
So Tansy is correct with her assumption with or without a trowel. It is good that she is taking the trouble to find out the costs and not assuming an MUA will work for free.
As you rightly say a photographers kit IS expensive there is no denying that, but an MUA's kit is depleted every time she/he does a shoot, and products have to be replaced. So we really don't want that can of worms opening do we lol

14 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
CIEGE_CJ Coldasice80 mandymack xxalixx
chandos extra_mayo frankpht Jamesfitzpatrick JohnDentonPhoto LGI modelimages4u NatashaCalamita Pegasuspics rscott360