Reminder Secure

pilates/yoga

10 March 2011 16:30
tsunami
Model

So over the past 6 months my weight has crept up to the point where Im not really happy in my body anymore. I do not need to lose weight fast but I would like to lose some and become more toned. I wondered what peoples experiences were of pilates and yoga for toning etc and if they just tone or aid weightloss too?

Thanks

Leia is off-line
15 March 2011 11:48
leia
Model
leia
London

yoga won't help you lose weight as it's intensity is too low and you dont actually work up a sweat & raise your heart rate doing it. pilates would be good for toning up but to lose weight you should look into doing cardio activities

Tathiel is off-line
21 March 2011 13:16
Tathiel
Model
Tathiel
Bristol
Bristol

If you have a gym membership go to the gym and do the following:
* High intensity Interval Training
* Heavy weightlifting. Don't shy away from the weights. You won't build serious muscle as you are not male and do not have enough testorone in your body. For example I take protien shake's aimed at building muscle and use bodybuilding training technique's to tone my muscles. It's the only way I am able to get the results I want. Lift heavy and try to do 3 sets of 8-12 reps. You must struggle to do the last 2-4 reps. If you arn't pulling funny faces and struggling to do the last rep the weight is not heavy enough.

23 March 2011 16:03
Tansy_Blue
Model

What Tathiel said. Yoga is no good for weight loss, it's good for balance, posture, flexibility but isn't intense enough for weight loss. Personally I hate gyms and find karate excellent; martial arts and dance appear to be the typically accepted "fun" way to burn calories. I've heard zumba is good as well. I don't do weights but I hear they're great for toning, so definitely try those.
"The poetic, the scientific, the erotic - why should the imagination care which master it serves?" - Ian McEwan

11 May 2011 04:34
AlexB
Model

I disagree that yoga does not help. Intensive Bikram yoga or very regular ashtanga yoga are wonderful for losing weight and toning and I would also throw in swimming, great for your arms and pectoral muscles. I have years of experience and am a trained dancer, so I know what I am talking about. I also know that many dancers find dancing is not enough, in fact the whole point with exercise it to vary it because your body can quickly get into a routine and adapt to it. However if you really want to lose weight you also have to watch your diet. It is a combination of diet and exercise
Alex

Jen Somerfield ♥ is off-lineGold Member
11 May 2011 05:12
JenSomerfield
Model
JenSomerfield
Bristol
Bristol

I did yoga several times a week for 3 years and can confirm that it is not useful for losing weight. It's not strenuous at all, and it benefits pregnant and stiff people the most. It can be relaxing, so may help destress you, and you might get more flexible/better core stability (but might not. Depends how flexible you are to begin with, personally it made no difference and the relaxation was laughable).

There's Power Yoga which may be a different ballgame, I've never tried this. Is it yoga with weights? Might be something worth googling. But for weight loss, you need to burn more calories than you take in, and yoga/pilates won't burn any real amount. You'd be better off doing a class such as RPM, zumba, body pump, aerobics, joining a running group (found it to be much better than running alone) and then going to yoga to chillax afterwards.

J x

11 May 2011 07:03
AlexB
Model

Quote from lady_galaxy92
I did yoga several times a week for 3 years and can confirm that it is not useful for losing weight. It's not strenuous at all, and it benefits pregnant and stiff people the most. It can be relaxing, so may help destress you, and you might get more flexible/better core stability (but might not. Depends how flexible you are to begin with, personally it made no difference and the relaxation was laughable).

There's Power Yoga which may be a different ballgame, I've never tried this. Is it yoga with weights? Might be something worth googling. But for weight loss, you need to burn more calories than you take in, and yoga/pilates won't burn any real amount. You'd be better off doing a class such as RPM, zumba, body pump, aerobics, joining a running group (found it to be much better than running alone) and then going to yoga to chillax afterwards.

J x

like I said it really depends on what yoga you do. Bikram is done for 90 mins in a very hot room, in sauna conditions,moving continuously. Even athletes do it because it helps to recondition the body. Ashtanga is what power yoga is also known as, more popularly. It requires a lot of strength and it works wonders for your upper arms. Bikram can help you to lose weight in a very short time (but you need to do it at least every other day and drink a lot of water). Not many Bikram studios outside London, unfortunately. I have met people that travel specially to go to a class (you cannot do it at home!). You can become more flexible. It is a question of practice. I always tell my students its never too late to learn how to do the splits, just work on it.

Alex

beauvoir is off-line
29 May 2011 14:55
beauvoir
Model
beauvoir
Birmingham
Birmingham

I agree with AlexB. Most types of yoga won't help you lose weight because yoga isn't excerise.

Bikram yoga (or any variation of hot yoga) is AMAZING for losing weight. You can burn up to 900/1000 calories a session, as well as toning and strengthening every muscle in your body. Because it's practised in a hot room, your body burns more energy trying to cool you down, so as well as cardiovascular movement, your constantly burning energy. Plus all that sweat will help keep your skin clear, and you'll find yourself with better strength, balance and flexibility. I say give Bikram/hot yoga a try, I'm sure you'll find it helpful. As AlexB also said, you have to keep it up and drink loads of water, like with any regime.

beauvoir is off-line
29 May 2011 14:56
beauvoir
Model
beauvoir
Birmingham
Birmingham

I agree with AlexB. Most types of yoga won't help you lose weight because yoga isn't excerise.

Bikram yoga (or any variation of hot yoga) is AMAZING for losing weight. You can burn up to 900/1000 calories a session, as well as toning and strengthening every muscle in your body. Because it's practised in a hot room, your body burns more energy trying to cool you down, so as well as cardiovascular movement, you're constantly burning energy. Plus all that sweat will help keep your skin clear, and you'll find yourself with better strength, balance and flexibility. I say give Bikram/hot yoga a try, I'm sure you'll find it helpful. As AlexB also said, you have to keep it up and drink loads of water, like with any regime.

29 May 2011 17:07
Tidal_Kitten
Model

Try your hand at doing 75 repetitions of Russian kettlebell swings twice a week (start with a 12kg weight, but ideally doing 16kg is what you want have 2 day break between work days) and have another "fun" cardio activity for a month. Change your eating habits (i.e. cut out the refined sugar, up your water intake, eat more green veggies etc.) And if you haven't decreased your bodyfat percentage (by even 1%) or increased your lean mass (and maybe improved posture as the kettlebell swing works your posterior chain) I'll eat my favourite rare vinyl record...
More than just Kibbles and Bits

1 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
eclipsephoto